PDA

View Full Version : Smiths & Stuff

dfletcher
06-28-2008, 8:30 PM
Went to Badger Johns and RCGE in Sacramento today. Badger Johns has an older Model 19, 2 1/2" barrel with service grips & nickel finish. Also has a new Model 29, nickel, 3" bbl and ported. There's also a fairly well used 6" Model 28 and a blued 4" 19 with target grips. The 3" 19 & 29 and the 4" 19 are about $800.00 each which is too much for me - maybe the new 29 is not bad but I think the 19s are too much by about $200.00.

RCGE had an older 5" Model 10, but it's mis-marked as a 4" - $299.00 and in nice shape, but someone took a chunk out of the front sight.

I bought an NAA Guardian in 32 ACP - the Heller spirit moved me just a touch.

JTROKS
06-28-2008, 9:19 PM
Sad to say, but that's where all the prices are heading to. True the prices you mentioned may be a bit too much, sooner or later that will be the norm.

rue
06-28-2008, 9:31 PM
Went to Badger Johns and RCGE in Sacramento today. Badger Johns has an older Model 19, 2 1/2" barrel with service grips & nickel finish. Also has a new Model 29, nickel, 3" bbl and ported. There's also a fairly well used 6" Model 28 and a blued 4" 19 with target grips. The 3" 19 & 29 and the 4" 19 are about $800.00 each which is too much for me - maybe the new 29 is not bad but I think the 19s are too much by about $200.00.

RCGE had an older 5" Model 10, but it's mis-marked as a 4" - $299.00 and in nice shape, but someone took a chunk out of the front sight.

I bought an NAA Guardian in 32 ACP - the Heller spirit moved me just a touch.

You bought that NAA Guardian at RCGE? I just checked that one out. Good price. I forgot to ask him if they had anymore P6's in stock...

dfletcher
06-28-2008, 11:33 PM
You bought that NAA Guardian at RCGE? I just checked that one out. Good price. I forgot to ask him if they had anymore P6's in stock...

I did. I had no intention of buying anything, just in for a visit after I picked up a Savage Mk II Classic at Badger's. But the price was pretty good and I've always wanted one. RCGE is one of those places that every time I go in I could buy something. I handled one of the Robinson XCRs and my interest is starting to develop.

And BTW - I am thankful for your only "looking" at the NAA. ;)

Miltiades
06-29-2008, 5:04 AM
I think the $800 price for a 2.5 inch S&W nickel model 19 is ridiculous, and about $300 too high. I realize that these are not on the CA "list" hence cannot be imported into the state by ordinary mortals. But they sell all day long in most of the US for $500 or so. I have a problem with paying a premium price in CA because of an artificial market created by the "safe handgun" law. If that law ever went away, the value of your item would drop back to the US prevailing price.

There is a dealer in Los Angeles named Retting and Retting that seems to specialize in buying used guns and selling them on Auction Arms to the rest of the US. Most of these guns are marked "not for sale in CA" because of the safe handgun list and the fact that Retting and Retting own them and are not selling them on consignment.

Here is a completed Retting and Retting auction from April of this year in which a S&W model 19 identical to the one you saw sold for $481 to somebody outside CA:

Retting and Retting sale of S&W 19 for $481. (http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8570670)

http://retting.com/g/sw192nicu478.jpg

dfletcher
06-29-2008, 6:28 AM
I think the $800 price for a 2.5 inch S&W nickel model 19 is ridiculous, and about $300 too high. I realize that these are not on the CA "list" hence cannot be imported into the state by ordinary mortals. But they sell all day long in most of the US for $500 or so. I have a problem with paying a premium price in CA because of an artificial market created by the "safe handgun" law. If that law ever went away, the value of your item would drop back to the US prevailing price.

There is a dealer in Los Angeles named Retting and Retting that seems to specialize in buying used guns and selling them on Auction Arms to the rest of the US. Most of these guns are marked "not for sale in CA" because of the safe handgun list and the fact that Retting and Retting own them and are not selling them on consignment.

Here is a completed Retting and Retting auction from April of this year in which a S&W model 19 identical to the one you saw sold for $481 to somebody outside CA:

Retting and Retting sale of S&W 19 for $481. (http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8570670)

http://retting.com/g/sw192nicu478.jpg

That's the one. I agree, prices in CA are very high and even in CA, $800.00 is far too high. The thing is, we get used to it. I went home a month or so ago and found that in most of the real world, Smiths and other guns sell for some pretty reasonable prices. The Kittery Trading Post in Maine had Walther PPs for $250.00, Smith Model 28s for under $400.00 and all sorts of Colt 1911s for under $500.00. Seeing those prices really brings home how our legislature screwed us on the "safe gun" list.

randy
06-29-2008, 6:37 AM
It looks to me like that gun has had some serious work done to it. The finish doesn't look original to me.

rivviepop
06-29-2008, 8:43 AM
Retting sells a metric ****ton of older S&W to out of state buyers, they can't sell them to us. If you watch AuctionArms there are a lot of fantastic old revolvers that leave the state on a daily basis from their shop. :(

(insert rant about stupid laws here)

QuarterBoreGunner
06-29-2008, 10:08 AM
You'll like the NAA; I have on and it's a neat little peashooter.

And yes, I agree about the prices of S&Ws... unfortunately they'll just keep going up and these dealers that only sell out of state just kill me.

trashman
06-29-2008, 5:31 PM
The good news is that the safe handgun list is ripe for a challenge. I look forward to trading S&W's across state lines in the not so distant future...

--Neill

rue
06-29-2008, 5:37 PM
I did. I had no intention of buying anything, just in for a visit after I picked up a Savage Mk II Classic at Badger's. But the price was pretty good and I've always wanted one. RCGE is one of those places that every time I go in I could buy something. I handled one of the Robinson XCRs and my interest is starting to develop.

And BTW - I am thankful for your only "looking" at the NAA. ;)

Yeah I want to buy many of his guns in there. I didn't buy it because I had Don order me one of these, http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/SW150223_large.jpg

Plus I want that 1919 on the wall too and a P6..:D

dfletcher
06-29-2008, 5:38 PM
You'll like the NAA; I have on and it's a neat little peashooter.

And yes, I agree about the prices of S&Ws... unfortunately they'll just keep going up and these dealers that only sell out of state just kill me.

Thanks for the NAA info. I can't believe how much 32 ACP ammo costs though, nut I'm not going to bother reloading for tha caliber. So far as the Smiths are concerned, I guess we can look forward to when the older ones become C & Rs and don't have to comply with the list.

HowardW56
06-29-2008, 6:12 PM
Retting sells a metric ****ton of older S&W to out of state buyers, they can't sell them to us. If you watch AuctionArms there are a lot of fantastic old revolvers that leave the state on a daily basis from their shop. :(

(insert rant about stupid laws here)

I have talked to Robert Retting about it... He wishes he could sell them in California, but business is business and when approached to buy a collection from someone's heir, how can they pass on a business opportunity. If he didn’t do it, someone else would.

It's too bad OUR legislature screwed us.

ps: Any gun that qualifies for C&R status goes in the case for sale to CA residents.

Vectrexer
06-30-2008, 8:38 AM
[QUOTE=dfletcher;1318736\

I bought an NAA Guardian in 32 ACP - the Heller spirit moved me just a touch.[/QUOTE]

Any more NAA Guardians? I am sort of looking for one.

JTROKS
06-30-2008, 9:18 AM
I'm looking forward in seeing the stupid CA DOJ Handgun approved list removed. I would like to see STI, Caspians, SVs and EAA start roling back into CA. The lack of these platforms tend to hurt action pistol competition and just drives the cost up of existing grandfathered or special situation type of guns. Like I said, I agree to the CA premium being too high on those guns, but if you look across the gunbroker and gunsamerica ads, the prices are going up. How often do you see those gun parts (less frame) of these P&R S&Ws? They are not making them anymore and sad to say the more you see of these parts the less complete guns are out there. When you start seeing only a trickle of these ads I'm sure there will always be that yuppie not even thinking twice to pork out $800 for it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103512418
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103357805