PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 mag tube/spring/barrel?

Spyder
06-28-2008, 5:57 PM
I've got a couple of Mossberg 500's in 12g and one of them got dropped in the river not too long ago. The magazine tube is full of gunk and before I got back to camp and got it cleaned out, it apparently rusted pretty badly inside. Bad enough that deep cleaning still won't allow the spring and follower to run smoothly.

Since I've got a few of these things, and I sold my HD 1300 a while back for more than it was worth, I'm wanting to build a 590 clone.

I would like a 20" barrel and a 8+1 magazine tube/spring/follower assembly for my Mossberg 500 but haven't really been able to find one. Numrich has one listed, but there is a "old model" and a regular one and I don't know the difference.

Any help here? Suggestions? I've always much preferred the action and safety of my Mossberg over the Remington and Winchester offerings, and this way I don't have to buy a whole new gun and can start with what I like and build exactly how I want. *fingers crossed* Hopefully I can find a bigger mag and a shorter barrel than the old birdgun has now.

wilit
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I've been wanting to do the same. Tagged to watch for answers.

Spyder
07-02-2008, 7:29 AM
No luck on this one? I'd really like to get this thing back in operation!

ojisan
07-02-2008, 9:32 AM
I have a ATP6 and ATP8.
ATP6 has finer threads where the mag tube screws into the receiver and is not removable without the use of tools.
ATP8 (and 590 I believe) has a coarser thread that allows removal by hand so the mag tube can be cleaned out.
Mag tubes are not interchangable as a result.
590 also has a different end cap with bayonet mount that is not interchangeable with the 8 as far as I know.
The ATP8 is big & heavy with the mag full. ATP6 is shorter and lighter so maybe better for home use. ATP6 is more versatile with all the different barrels. My 8 is set up for defense, the 6 w/28" barrel for clay pigeons and 16" rifle sight barrel for at home.
My Mossbergs have never ever failed to feed fire and eject. I would bet my life on them.

Rob454
07-02-2008, 3:26 PM
You can order those parts from Mossberg
Rob