PDA

View Full Version : Affordable folding stock for a 500?

SmithAndJohnson
06-28-2008, 2:56 PM
There's a lot of chat about different types of stocks in these forums. I can find lots of back and forth about which is the best telescoping stock but can't seem to find anyone agreeing on a folding stock that isn't utter crap.

Both the Butler Creek and ATI folding stocks seem to be panned among this crowd... so what's the alternative?

I'm not looking for a high-tech stock that reduces recoil or anything - I'm can handle the shoulder abuse just fine. I just want the ability to transport the gun in a more compact form. The standard 38" length doesn't quite fit in my hatchback's trunk :(

And now on to the "affordable" in the title... I hope I can get away with spending around $100 or no more than $150. I can't stomach buying a new stock for a shotgun that costs as much as the shotgun did new ;)

Thanks!

bohoki
06-28-2008, 3:57 PM
the ati one that is a top folder is good

its just pistol grips are not the best for use on a heavy recoiling firearm

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/accessories/shotgun-stocks/p/shotgun-side-folding-stock-and-forend-for-mossberg-12ga-mos0100/cPath/1_22/products_id/1769

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/accessories/shotgun-stocks/p/shotforce-shotgun-collapsible-stock%2C-ar15-style-mrw4100-/cPath/1_22/products_id/1038

wilit
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I've got an ATI top folder on my 500A. It's okay. Not the greatest stock but it does it's job. It's very sturdy and has held up well up to now.

ajl2121
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I had the ATI installed. It's a good stock, but I couldn't handle the recoil in my shoulder. It functions the way it's suppose to...I bought it with my first shotgun, mossberg 500, because I thought it would be nice to be able to fold it to a compact mode....You can obviously fire it with it folded too, so that's nice in HD situations and hallways. Recently, I decided to take it off and put on the stock it came with. Overall, it's worth the 70 bucks if you can handle the stock in the shoulder. As for me, I just shot it pistol grip only when I had it on.

The shotgun looks pretty nice with it folded too.

SmithAndJohnson
06-29-2008, 12:34 PM
... Recently, I decided to take it off and put on the stock it came with. Overall, it's worth the 70 bucks if you can handle the stock in the shoulder. As for me, I just shot it pistol grip only when I had it on.
I'm pretty curious about this... was recoil somehow *worse* with the ATI stock in the shoulder? How is the standard stock better?

Redchevyman
06-29-2008, 12:50 PM
recoil pads will help the ATI stock from hammering you too badly.

Explicit
06-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a Knoxx Copstock on my mossberg 590 for HD. Its very sturdy and its comfy in my hand. It does what it says and reduces felt recoil. Its a bit pricey but in my opinion its worth every penny. If you can save the cash for one i can honestly say you won't regreat it.

snaggletooth
06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
take a look at the mesa tactical stocks, its not a folder but it does collapse. I'm not sure of the price but I hear its good stuff, I have their side saddles and its absolutely tops.

SmithAndJohnson
06-29-2008, 4:47 PM
I have a Knoxx Copstock on my mossberg 590 for HD. Its very sturdy and its comfy in my hand. It does what it says and reduces felt recoil. Its a bit pricey but in my opinion its worth every penny. If you can save the cash for one i can honestly say you won't regreat it.

Someone else pointed me towards the Knoxx Specops Folder (the new iteration of the Copstock). It looks pretty super.

You don't happen to be in the bay area, do you? I'd love to try one out before I committed the $$$. I don't disbelieve the great word of mouth on it, but it does have the major drawback of taking side saddles off the table while not holding any shells itself... =/

So it'd have to be *really* great ;)

ajl2121
06-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty curious about this... was recoil somehow *worse* with the ATI stock in the shoulder? How is the standard stock better?

Apparently they have recoil pads that add on to the ATI top folder that I was unaware of...Some member mentioned it in a post above. The ATI comes without any recoil pad, so it's just hard surface compared to a rubber buttpad. Anyhow, it is a sturdy stock and I was able to fire bucks with just the pistol grip. Also, if you are looking to add a shell holder, the ATI has a shell holder that adds to the stock. I haven't used it, but it looks useful and also looks pretty mean.

As for the mesa...they will cost about the same if not more than the mossberg 500. Keep in mind, any pistol grip on the mossberg will take away your ability to manipulate the safety without moving your shooting grip, whereas the standard will not. But, being a shotgun that's ok to most people. I usually keep mine in cruiser mode...The way most LEO carry their shotguns in their vehicles...Mag loaded fully, safety off, and chamber empty...So if SHTF, you pump and you're ready to go.

ajl2121
06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I guess you have to be over 40 to remember the company that started it all--aftermarket shotgun accessories--in the 1980's: Choate Machine and Tool: http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=2&Product_CatalogID=2782&ProductNumber=02-01-12&ProductCode=26&ProductSubCodeID=174&NewProduct=0
http://www.riflestock.com/images/Products/Top_Folding.jpg

For some reason (and it's just an opinion, so please take no offense for those that own one and swear by it) it just looks weird. Like, the shotgun itself has so much bravado, but the stock does not...Kind of like a 250 lb. guy with a huge upper body and thin, little calves.

wilit
06-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Apparently they have recoil pads that add on to the ATI top folder that I was unaware of...Some member mentioned it in a post above. The ATI comes without any recoil pad, so it's just hard surface compared to a rubber buttpad.

Got a link? I don't see any buttpads for the ATI top folder on ATI's website.

rayra
07-01-2008, 12:02 AM
How about just buying a shorter barrel, instead?

eta - scratch that, comment withdrawn. I read 38" and thought 48" for some reason. ~38" is with a 18-1/2" bbl already.
Just had mine out for measurements for a folding wood range rack and realized my gaff.

Explicit
07-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Someone else pointed me towards the Knoxx Specops Folder (the new iteration of the Copstock). It looks pretty super.

You don't happen to be in the bay area, do you? I'd love to try one out before I committed the $$$. I don't disbelieve the great word of mouth on it, but it does have the major drawback of taking side saddles off the table while not holding any shells itself... =/

So it'd have to be *really* great ;)

NP... and sorry no im not in the bay area. I do agree the only draw back to it is not being able to have a side sadle. But a shotgun shell bandolier works just fine for me.

Good luck on your search.

SmithAndJohnson
07-01-2008, 8:14 AM
How about just buying a shorter barrel, instead?
Are you seriously suggesting I buy shorter than an 18" barrel?

Even if it were legal, I wouldn't want one! Crazy blast, dude!

alex00
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I've used the ATI for about a year now. Granted, I'm shooting an 870. The recoil seemed much less with the ATI over the standard stock, and especially the old metal top folder. At first I didn't like the plastic look, but it has really grown on me. I don't think you will be disappointed with the ATI.