PDA

View Full Version : Reference: West End Gun Club rear line distances

ocabj
06-27-2008, 7:01 PM
Here are the distances of the firing lines on the rear line at West End for the rifle shooters:

"200 yard line" (dirt) - 210 yards actual
"200 yard line" (concrete) - 254 yards actual
"300 yard line" - 318 yards actual
"600 yard line" - 551 yards actual

Used my friend's Leupold laser rangefinder mounted on my Bogen Manfrotto 055PROXB. All readings ranged on an NRA HP MR1 (600 yard) target on one of the target frames/backers in the pits except for the 200 yard line (dirt). That one was ranged against the piece of the exposed brick wall in in front of the flag pole in the pits.

Took these readings this morning when I was out there to burn some 80gr rounds and zero a new upper for 300 yard prone.

wildcard
06-27-2008, 8:05 PM
Not that I don't believe you.. but how is it that they're THAT off? Thanks for the tip.

ocabj
06-27-2008, 8:22 PM
Beats me. I'm not a member of WEGC, so I don't know the history behind the formation of the pistol bays and the hills of dirt used as platforms for the concrete pads that became firing points for High Power rifle shooting. I'm sure they created firing lines as best they could with what was available with the logistics of the canyon and, assuming they were built first, the pistol bays.

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I think that our firing lines are laid out in meters.
The line that everyone calls a 600yd line is really a 500M line.
318yds is closer to 300M than to 300yds.

What are you even calling the 200yd "dirt" line?

ocabj
06-28-2008, 1:23 PM
What are you even calling the 200yd "dirt" line?

Guzman asked me to range from that lower pad of dirt more towards the left. If you're standing on the 200 concrete looking towards the targets, the dirt area is located at about your 10 o'clock. If you're on the 300 concrete, I think the 200 dirt will be right in front of your line of sight/fire.

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 1:41 PM
Guzman asked me to range from that lower pad of dirt more towards the left. If you're standing on the 200 concrete looking towards the targets, the dirt area is located at about your 10 o'clock. If you're on the 300 concrete, I think the 200 dirt will be right in front of your line of sight/fire.

Isn't that the edge of the parking area?
I never even considered that a pad, but I guess you highpower guys like to lay there and shoot. :D

ocabj
06-28-2008, 1:45 PM
Isn't that the edge of the parking area?
I never even considered that a pad, but I guess you highpower guys like to lay there and shoot. :D

Errr... I've never seen anyone park on that pad. There's no room to put a vehicle on it. Plus, it's technically forward of the line if you were on the 200 concrete pad, so that would not be a safe place to put any vehicle. I guess I'd have to show you the "200 dirt" in person since I personally never realized that pad existed until Guzman asked me to range it.

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 1:48 PM
Errr... I've never seen anyone park on that pad. There's no room to put a vehicle on it. Plus, it's technically forward of the line if you were on the 200 concrete pad, so that would not be a safe place to put any vehicle. I guess I'd have to show you the "200 dirt" in person since I personally never realized that pad existed until Guzman asked me to range it.

We park behind there for 3gun all the time when we are not shooting from one of the concrete pads.