PDA

View Full Version : Savage MK-II BTVS: Ammo

PistolPete75
06-27-2008, 2:29 PM
So what kind of ammo works well in this rifle?

Looking for a well priced, competition/match grade ammo that is easily found in bulk.

wildcard
06-27-2008, 2:34 PM
So what kind of ammo works well in this rifle?

Looking for a well priced, competition/match grade ammo that is easily found in bulk.

Haha. No such thing that meets all 3 criteria.

Wolf match is the closest you'll get if you can find it. Next best things are Eley and Lapua but that stuff isn't cheap at all.

What i'd do is buy a box of everything you can get your hands on and see what shoots the best in your rifle. My 10/22 likes Winchester 22T.

PistolPete75
06-27-2008, 2:40 PM
i'm looking to see if i can get a short cut route, and see what's already been tested.

PistolPete75
06-27-2008, 2:46 PM
we should do some varmint hunting with them. that'll be sweet.

Spdjunkie
06-27-2008, 4:00 PM
+1 Agree w/ Above. WOLF Match .22lr

Its already been tested & shoot with by Another Great CalGuns/SH Member/Shooter:
http://www.6mmbr.com/rimfiretactical.html

Also, As for short cuts, "DesertFrog" even posted up dope info from that same rifle with WOLF Match .22lr.

Teletiger7
06-27-2008, 7:04 PM
Good luck finding Wolf. My rifle really loves that stuff but unfortunately it's sold out everywhere. I looked at alot of the on-line places and started a thread in the ammo section for leads. I tried to order from Sinclair and they said it might take 2 months to get it in. Been testing the federal automatch(probably the most consistent of the ChEAPER bulk ammos at $14 for 300rounds) and it's decent but not as consistent:( Wolf was a good deal for consistent/fairly accurate ammo at $40 per brick of 500 but now since it's ran dry gotta buy the pricey stuff like eley/lapua at $10+ for a box of 50.

rksimple
06-27-2008, 9:20 PM
Wolf mt has always been great in my rifles. Doesn't function my 1022, but in bolt rifles, single shots, etc. its awesome.

Timberwolf
06-27-2008, 9:42 PM
No such thing as a short cut with small bore - every rifle likes it a little different. DO like suggested get one box of everything and spend an afternoon at the range. Hell I may have some to try stuff left over from when I went through this. By the way mine likes Wolf MT, Aquilla Match and FGMM. It loves Eley but thats for matches only @ 10.00 plus per box of 50.

Timberwolf
06-27-2008, 9:45 PM
Guys by the way SK is the same as Wolf - if you can't find Wolf get SK - same company, same components etc etc

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
i'm looking to see if i can get a short cut route, and see what's already been tested.

That's like telling your condo customer that he does not need to look at a property because it looks just like another one he already looked at.

Every gun is different, you gotta test to know what works.

PistolPete75
06-28-2008, 4:26 PM
thanks for the box of aquilla. i'm eager to shoot it after the scprc match.

Novadesigns
06-28-2008, 5:15 PM
I don't know if this will help you, because like has been said... everyone's rifle likes something different...

But the day before the last .22lr match I spent some time with the new Savage at ASR testing ammo. I shot a box of each.... CCI Green Tag and MiniMags, Eley Club Xtra, Target Rifle (discontinued) and Match EPS, Lapua Midas L (discontinued), and Wolf MT.

The best grouping ammo at 50 and 100 were Eley Match EPS and Lapua Midas L, big shock. However, they are $12/box and about $20/box respectively. I was not going to be shooting a lot of matches with that stuff.

Both types of CCI ammo (and I tried stingers this past weekend) were very inaccurate out of my rifle... 2 inches at 50 yards and all over the place at 100.

The good news for me was that Eley Club Xtra and Target Rifle ($9 and $12/box) were easily matched by the Wolf MT ($4.20/box). I was able to consistently shoot 1/4-1/2 inches at 50 yards and 1/2-1" at 100 yards (with the occasional flyer. Grrr!)

Good enough for me, so I bought 2 bricks of Wolf MT. After shooting a while brick so far I find that its consistent and as predictable as .22lr can be.

Which means you're still looking at a re-zero just about every time you shoot. Unless you think $20 a box is worth not having to do that! :)

Cheers!

PistolPete75
06-28-2008, 5:33 PM
i have a box of aguilla that timber gave to me. if that shoots well, i'm going to stick with that for a box of 500 for $40 shipped. wolf mt seems to be hard to find at this time, but when i get a chance to run into it, i'll try a box of that too.

so what's an acceptable grouping at 50 and 100yards for a 22?

Teletiger7
06-28-2008, 5:48 PM
i have a box of aguilla that timber gave to me. if that shoots well, i'm going to stick with that for a box of 500 for $40 shipped. wolf mt seems to be hard to find at this time, but when i get a chance to run into it, i'll try a box of that too.

Maybe 0.75" at 50yds and 1.50" or less at 100 is pretty decent. One thing I've noticed with my rifle is that once I get to 150 and beyond the groups really start to open up and I'm happy if i can stay under 3.5" at 150 especially with changing winds.

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 5:50 PM

A consistent 1.5 MOA to 100yds would get you through Bill's matches, bit if you get better than that, all the better.

PistolPete75
06-28-2008, 5:59 PM
i can't wait till i get the savage in my hands. my monthly round count went down to 50 rounds a month within the last few months. can't wait to shoot the savage without worrying about how much reloading components i have left.

i'm hoping for 1moa groupings at 100yards.

wildcard
06-28-2008, 11:05 PM
i can't wait till i get the savage in my hands. my monthly round count went down to 50 rounds a month within the last few months. can't wait to shoot the savage without worrying about how much reloading components i have left.

i'm hoping for 1moa groupings at 100yards.

That would be very impressive..