PDA

View Full Version : Proof of residency?

ineedaname
06-26-2008, 1:53 PM
I am a 22 year old student in California, and want to get into shooting. I have had some shooting experience before, and am considering purchasing my first gun.

However, I live with my parents right now and everything I need is in walking distance from where I live, even the nearest gun shop. Suffice to say, I don't have any utility bills, deeds, leases, or car registrations.

Are there any other documents I can use to fulfill this requirement?

Thanks

Glock_XXI
06-26-2008, 1:55 PM
Try having you parents draw a "Rental Agreement" that has your address on it.

Also I have heard, at Big 5 of all places, that you could use your AAA card if you have one.

rtlltj
06-26-2008, 2:11 PM
Maybe your parents can change the name on one of their utility bills to your name for a month or two.

ineedaname
06-26-2008, 2:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone know if one may use a voter registration card, credit card bill, or bank statement?

pwall
06-26-2008, 2:17 PM
I was in your same boat when I bought my first couple handguns. No car, and no utility bills cause I was living in my parents house. To solve the problem, I had to get a notarized letter from my parents stating that I was a resident of their household, and then bring THEIR utility bills to the FFL. TALK ABOUT GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY!!!

Rover
06-26-2008, 2:30 PM
I'm in a similar position, My legal esidence is my Parent's house, but I live up here in Ventura, I pay all the bills up here so they all have my name on them, but the adress doesn't match my driver's liscense, just use my credit card bill, never have any issues as long as it's recent to within 3 months.

IllTemperedCur
06-26-2008, 2:32 PM
Cellphone bill worked for me back in April.

munkeeboi
06-26-2008, 3:38 PM
go download a lease agreement and have your parents sign it. No need to notarize it or go out of your way. Just fill in the info as you were a renter for your parents. I was in the same predicament the first time I bought a gun and the guy at turner's suggested this to me and it's worked every time since then.

The SoCal Gunner
06-26-2008, 5:51 PM

I'm surprised they let you use that.

When I lived with my folks, I had a residential lease agreement written up and signed by my dad and myself. No need for a notary but I guess that all depends on the dealer your dealing with as some seem to ask for more requirements than needed i.e. requiring you DL address to match the proof of residency.

I think the best fail-safe thing to do would be to ask your parents to put a utility in your name in case you do a lease agreement and the dealer asks for it to be notarized. A notarized document should not be necessary. I have moved to different apartments owned by big companies and have never needed to get anything notarized.

ETA: I have seen Turner's accept 3 months worth of bank statements.

Shane916
06-26-2008, 5:58 PM

Well they will be in some trouble with they are audited. Hopefully you won't receive a phone call.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#33G

What documentation is acceptable to demonstrate proof of residency for handgun purchasers?

* Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
1. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or
2. The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.
* Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:
1. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or
2. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Residential lease" means either of the following:
1. A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant)agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time

or
2. A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
* Property deed the bears the individual's name and either of the following:

or
2. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Property deed" means either or the following:
1. A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust

or
2. A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.
* Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

or
2. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

Examples of acceptable proof of residency:
1. Current DMV registrations.
2. Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name onit from within the last 3 months.
3. Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.

Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:
1. Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
2. Cellular phone bill.

slowfire
06-26-2008, 6:19 PM
How about the address shown on a U.S. Passport?

NoobShooter
06-26-2008, 6:21 PM
I know a cable bill also works.

Shane916
06-26-2008, 7:27 PM
I know a cable bill also works.

Indeed it is covered:

"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

nic
06-26-2008, 9:42 PM
Car registration paperwork is GTG.

echang86
06-27-2008, 1:28 AM
Google "standard lease agreement" or "rental agreement". Print it out, get the parentals to sign it and you're good to go.

A few months ago, I was in your situation. The store said they also accept traffic tickets with my name on it. I ended up just giving them a Superior Court Jury Duty Summon, and they accepted. I think it really just depends on the store though. The place I usually PPT at don't care if the utility bills have my parents name on it. Come to think of it, that store has never give me the handgun safety demonstration test too.

E__WOK
06-27-2008, 9:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone know if one may use a voter registration card, credit card bill, or bank statement?

No, no, and no.

ke6guj
06-27-2008, 9:24 PM

What address shown on a US passport? There isn't one. You can write in your current contact info in pencil.

SJgunguy24
06-27-2008, 9:25 PM
My internet service bill works any Hard service connection will do it.

zcktomcat
06-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I believe you could use a car registration even if your name isn't on it as long as the address matches your DL

Casual Observer
06-28-2008, 11:15 AM
As noted above, the acceptable forms of residency are as follows:

- Anything issued by the government with your name, address and an expiration date on it (yes, this includes traffic tickets).

- Anything tied to your residence such as a utility bill, lease agreement, etc. that has your name, address and an expiration date on it.

JeffM
06-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Edit: Nevermind, I'll start a new thread.

Casual Observer
06-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I believe you could use a car registration even if your name isn't on it as long as the address matches your DL

IIRC, that *might* work if you're married and the name of the registration is that of your spouse. Otherwise, I'm pretty certain your name has to be one it.

savs2k
06-28-2008, 1:08 PM
Just type out a lease agreement and bring in one of your parents utility bills. I had to do it for my first handgun and recently when i sold my motorcycle and my registration expired 4 days before i decided to buy another gun. The letter i used looked like this.

To whom it may concern,
I _______________ DL # __________ and I
_______________ DL # ___________________ hereby declare my son ______________ DL # __________________ a fulltime resident at my house at the adress of ______________________________________________. ________________ has been a resident at our home for the last ______ years where he has stayed free of rent and free of any and all bills. Attatched to this declaration letter of my sons current residency is a copy of our recent utility bill where __________ has current residency.

____________________ X_____________________ DATE_______
mother's name mothers sig
father's name fathers sig
your name your sig

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 2:38 PM

I take it you don't have a passport.
I'm sitting here in Brazil right now looking at mine.
There is no address printed on it.
The only place my address exists is where I wrote it in pencil on the contact info page.

ineedaname
06-28-2008, 8:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll most likely go with the rental agreement idea and/or utility bills with my parents. Also, I might be getting an apartment when the school year starts again, and that should solve the problem.

I went shooting again yesterday with a friend and loved it and would enjoy getting into this sport.

cj cake
06-28-2008, 11:03 PM
You can also go to DMV, pay a couple of bucks, and get a driver history printout. It has all you info on it and it is from the state government. I used that in Nevada when proiding proof of residency.

NoobShooter
06-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I take it you don't have a passport.
I'm sitting here in Brazil right now looking at mine.
There is no address printed on it.
The only place my address exists is where I wrote it in pencil on the contact info page.

damn.. talk about dedication to the forum....

savs2k
06-29-2008, 2:12 AM
You can also go to DMV, pay a couple of bucks, and get a driver history printout. It has all you info on it and it is from the state government. I used that in Nevada when proiding proof of residency.

I never actually thought about that. Can someone verify this?

JonMartin
06-29-2008, 3:12 AM
I went to staples bought a "rental agreement" form and filled it out and it worked for me then on Thursday I pick up my first gun a Sig P220 stainless from turners.

ZombieKiller
06-29-2008, 6:15 AM
IIRC, that *might* work if you're married and the name of the registration is that of your spouse. Otherwise, I'm pretty certain your name has to be one it.

I tried that.....your name has to be on it.......