PDA

View Full Version : ? re: ammo from CMP

xrMike
06-26-2008, 2:07 PM
If you go to the CMP website to order .30-06 Greek ammo, you'll find pricing on this page:

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm (let's call this page #1)

Options include ammo packed in cardboard boxes versus ammo pre-loaded in clips, etc.

The cheapest option available on this page costs .3146 cents per round ($134.00 + $17 S&H for 480 rounds total, in cardboard boxes)

However, on this same page is the following link: ORDER AMMO ONLINE

which takes you to this page:

http://estore.odcmp.com/Store/catalog/catalog.aspx (let's call this page #2)

Now if you look down the left side of this page, there's another link: COMMERCIAL AMMO

which takes you here:

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=AMC

(bear with me, I'm getting close to the end, I swear)

Halfway down that page is another ammo purchase option that reads:

Item ID: 415ABOX ==> HXP .30-06 Ammunition 400 rds, 20 RDS/CARTON, 20 CARTONS/BOX

Now this item costs only .28 cents per round ($96 + $16 S&H for 400 rounds total, in cardboard boxes).

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Is there any difference in these kinds of ammo, or all they all the same surplus HXP?

and

2. Why is the CMP selling it for a higher cost on the Page #1 than Page #2?

Thanks.

jimbo1747
06-26-2008, 5:14 PM
Here's my .02:

1) HXP is HXP, so the ammo should be the same.

2) My guess is that the higher price ($134 for 480 rds.) is because of the way it's packaged. The ammo comes in two sardine-type cans (240 rds. each) in a nice little reusable wooden crate. While the lower priced ammo ($90 for 400 rds.) looks like it just comes in cardboard boxes. You know, kind of like how people pay $10 more for a 1/2 case of Wolf ammo in a sardine can rather than just in boxes?

thefifthspeed
06-26-2008, 6:44 PM
Good question, you could try the "ask orest" section of their forums. My best guess would be the same as the above poster.

xrMike
06-26-2008, 9:23 PM
Here's my .02:

1) HXP is HXP, so the ammo should be the same.

2) My guess is that the higher price ($134 for 480 rds.) is because of the way it's packaged. The ammo comes in two sardine-type cans (240 rds. each) in a nice little reusable wooden crate. While the lower priced ammo ($90 for 400 rds.) looks like it just comes in cardboard boxes. You know, kind of like how people pay $10 more for a 1/2 case of Wolf ammo in a sardine can rather than just in boxes?

Aha! You're right -- you get the nice wood crate, and the ammo comes in those 2 sealed tins. It does make sense to pay a little more for that I guess. Plus, you know that everything you just bought came from the same manufacturing lot, so it probably shoots a little more consistent than a bunch separate cardboard boxes that might be leftovers from different lots.

Good question, you could try the "ask orest" section of their forums. My best guess would be the same as the above poster.

That's OK, I think you guys figured it out. I'll just order the big crate. I've already got one filled up with reloading stuff out in the garage. I could use another. :D

Thanks guys.