PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Warrany Question + ridiculous follow up...

JohnnyBangBang
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
The front sight on my Kimber is loose and I am going to send it back to the factory for repair.
What is the best way to pack the slide for shipment?
Is wrapping it in bubble wrap and sticking it in a FedEx envelope ok?
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------

OK I ended up calling just to make sure there wasn't anything I missed from the Operational Manual's warranty info. The gal on the phone said to sent it FedEx ground and insure it for $500.
Well I'd like to get it back as soon as possible and so when I got to FedEx I bought a roll of bubble wrap. Wrapped it up real good and put a bunch on the wrapping at both ends of the box sandwiching the slide in the box. All looked good. I filled out that I wanted 2nd day delivery which meant they would get it Monday.
So the a-hole at the counter tells me it will be $28.50 then notices I have it insured for $500 and asks what I'm shipping. Knowing it was nothing illegal I said it was a gun slide. He gives me a weird look and asks if itís a gun. I told him again it was just the slide off the gun. So he's typing in something and says he'll be right back.
After he comes back he says it has to ship priority overnight. Then tells me it will be $67.
I told him F that. I explained again that it was not a gun that it was just a solid chunk of metal that is only one part of a gun and that the law does not require any special shipping. He would only say that that is what his manager said.
I was getting pissed. And wanted to speak to the manager but he was conveniently busy and the guy said that that was their policy.
Ahhhh, I should have just said it was none of his business.
So I had to search around for another FedEx and figured if for some reason they asked again Iíd just make something up. The second location didnít ask me a think.
So, that was my little after work adventure.
Thanks for the responses guys.

SR-60
06-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you contacted Kimber about this warranty work? They probably have suggestions on how to ship it back. Are they going to pay for shipping both ways or do you have to pay it your self?

Kruzr
06-26-2008, 3:11 PM
Kimber's warranty, like those of many gun makers don't pay for shipping back to them for warranty work except in special cases. Kimber will pay for shipping back to you. Since it's only the slide you have to send, I would wrap it in bubble wrap and box (not an envelope) it in a USPS priority mail box and send it. You don't have to ship the slide via UPS or FedEx. The slide is NOT a gun. Kimber will ship it back UPS.

Insure it as a gun part (non serialized) for $300. Address it to KMI (not Kimber Manufacturing) at their Lawton St. address.

Kimber usually turns sight work around in a day or two. Be sure to enclose a letter if you have any special instructions to ship back to you. If you ask them to call you when it is shipped back, they will.

Sumo99
06-26-2008, 4:25 PM
I sent my Kimber back, under warranty, to have the front night sight replaced because it turned pink. I just took it to the gun shop I bought it from and they took care of everything. No charge to me what so ever. I got it back in about a week.

JohnnyBangBang
06-26-2008, 9:19 PM
See first post to read what happened...

SR-60
06-26-2008, 9:39 PM
Which FedEx facility did you finally go to where they didn't hassle you? I see you're in OC. Did you go to the one in Irvine?

JohnnyBangBang
06-26-2008, 10:03 PM
It was the one on Harbor and South Coast in Costa Mesa.
The one I ended up at later was across from John Wayne on Main.

Rob454
06-27-2008, 5:51 PM
Next time jsut say its a custom milled velocity tube and its expensive to make and easily damaged.
When I ship something I dont tell anyone what it is and who really cares what you want to insure it for. Shouldnt matter to the clerk
Rob

Kruzr
06-27-2008, 7:50 PM
Next time jsut say its a custom milled velocity tube and its expensive to make and easily damaged.
When I ship something I dont tell anyone what it is and who really cares what you want to insure it for. Shouldnt matter to the clerk
Rob

The clerk won't care but if you are insuring the package and you lie about the contents, the insurance company DOES care enough not to pay you.

Fjold
06-27-2008, 8:45 PM
Kimber machined slide- accurate enough for insurance proof and doesn't mention the evil "G" word.

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 4:18 PM
So the a-hole at the counter tells me it will be $28.50 then notices I have it insured for $500 and asks what I'm shipping. Knowing it was nothing illegal I said it was a gun slide.

That's where you went wrong.

It's a "machined part", nothing more. ;)

USN CHIEF
06-28-2008, 4:27 PM
I had a similar issue with my SA Operator. The rear sight came loose. I called SA and they sent me an e-mail with the Fedex shipping label. I wrapped the slide in bubble wrap and placed it inside a box. I printed the FEDEX shipping label and went to the FEDEX hub and shipped it. No questions asked. BTW, SA paid for the shipping both ways + insurance.

Was this on a new gun? If so, Kimber should have paid for everything..

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 4:48 PM
i bet all they do is take a punch and bang one of the dove tails down alittle to make it tighter.

That's how most factory dovetails are done.
That's WAY too complicated for some people to do themselves though. :rofl2:

USN CHIEF
06-28-2008, 4:49 PM
i bet all they do is take a punch and bang one of the dove tails down alittle to make it tighter.

They can't do that with mine.. They have to use an allen wrench.. Plus they are also sending me a SA custom box for my troubles.:D

USN CHIEF
06-28-2008, 4:51 PM

Hey punk. You are mean. I was going to do mine and just add some lick tight but then I did not want to take the change of not aligning it correctly and waste ammo trying to get it right.:D:p

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 4:59 PM
ya i've done that to a couple guns myself.**** spending 30 bucks on a 30 second job

You can also center-punch the bottom of a dovetail a couple times to raise a burr.
There are three contacting sides to a dovetail.

You generally only peen where you won't see it later.
Most front dovetails are peened dead center where the sight blade covers it.
Adjustable rear sights also cover the peen.
I would peen fixed rear sights on the bottom.

Librarian
06-29-2008, 1:09 PM

You seem to forget that some of us have absolutely no mechanical training or instincts. (And, because of that, not much in the way of tools, either).

If I were to have the kind of need the OP mentions, I'd be happy to pay $30 or whatever to get the job done right, rather than screw it up myself.

There's a reason there are different professions. I'm glad there are other folks competent where I am not, and I'm happy to pay for their knowledge and skill when I need it.

Oldnoob
06-29-2008, 1:43 PM
I just recently read FedEx policy about firearm, and yes they did mention all firearm need to ship over night... blah, blah, blah. Some one already mentioned, next time just either don't tell them anything, or "machine part" will work too. I had ship my gun back for warranty work before(the whole gun, slide + receiver). I shipped 3 day flight, cost me about $20.

bigchelis
06-29-2008, 1:46 PM
Ask Kimber to send you a pick up slip. That way you do not have to deal with Fed EX employee questioning you about the product within. I would use the Kimber plastic box since you should have kindly asked kimber for a pick up slip.

Then they overnight it back to you. Simple huh.

I know far too often as a customer I have felt the company owes me something, but you already have their product: now you rely on them 100%.

Business Ethics!!!! Ironic is in it.

The customer is always right only works at Wall Mart and Burger King, do not assume this is the motto everywhere.

Librarian
06-29-2008, 2:07 PM
I just recently read FedEx policy about firearm, and yes they did mention all firearm need to ship over night... blah, blah, blah. Some one already mentioned, next time just either don't tell them anything, or "machine part" will work too. I had ship my gun back for warranty work before(the whole gun, slide + receiver). I shipped 3 day flight, cost me about $20.
Bad idea.
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

That's the 18 USC 922(e) part:(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
and, as already noted, insurance won't pay if the package contents was not properly identified.

ETA: And 18 USC 924 provides the punishment: "fined under this title, imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

JohnnyBangBang
06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I saw no reason to possibly mess something up on a new $1K gun when its under warranty and I can let someone who knows exactly what to do fix it.

PzKfW
06-30-2008, 5:52 AM
Blah blah blah

Maybe I'm wayyyy off in left field here.

But doesn't the law define a firearm as only something that either 1) is capable of firing powder-driven projectiles as it currently sits or 2) is a serial numbered reciever? In other words, isn't shipping an AR upper or other less assembled component of a firearm is not considered shipping an actual functioning firearm as defined by law?...

Like I said, I might be in left field here. :TFH: :sleeping:

Librarian
06-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Blah? :)

Maybe I'm wayyyy off in left field here.

But doesn't the law define a firearm as only something that either 1) is capable of firing powder-driven projectiles as it currently sits or 2) is a serial numbered reciever? In other words, isn't shipping an AR upper or other less assembled component of a firearm is not considered shipping an actual functioning firearm as defined by law?...

Like I said, I might be in left field here. :TFH: :sleeping:
You're right about the definition of a gun. However, Oldnoob suggested s/he had shipped "the whole gun, slide + receiver".

ar15barrels
06-30-2008, 2:03 PM
doesn't the law define a firearm as only something that either 1) is capable of firing powder-driven projectiles as it currently sits or 2) is a serial numbered reciever? In other words, isn't shipping an AR upper or other less assembled component of a firearm is not considered shipping an actual functioning firearm as defined by law?...

As I was saying above, if you are only shipping the slide or top half, it's a "machined part".
That's absolutely true and correct for insurance purposes as well.
If there is a need to ship the complete gun (fire control issues), then obviously you have to comply with the laws and policies...

There's no need to ship a complete gun to have sights installed or adjusted.
If the manufacturer wants the whole gun back anyways, make sure they pick up the shipping costs.
My S&W model 41 went back twice for broken extractors and they requested the whole gun be sent so they could test fire.
It still breaks extractors even after two trips...