PDA

View Full Version : remington 870 security

docfuhr
06-26-2008, 9:18 AM
Anyone have input on this model vs mossburg 590? such as reliability, cost, and maint. as well as accs. thanks.

randy
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
It's an 870 that pretty much says it all.

docfuhr
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
thnaks randy, but why? what isw special about the remington vs the mossburg. I'm new to the (gun speech), area 52 in NV was the first wake up call since I was in the navy and even the I was a non combatant, all I was issued was a p**** 9 mil. I', glad I got the wake up call though, I'm just stuck on stupid. and un informed. thanks for the reply, and semper-fi. ps. sorry my speeling sucks.

l_Z_l
06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
:xeno:

Just want to use that one...there have been many discussion covering both guns...seems to boil down to personal preference

docfuhr
06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
and yes I can't type for crap, ha, ha!

docfuhr
06-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm just worried about reliability. Kinda like compairing the ak to the m16. I'm VERY tight on cash these days, like most of us so if I'm going to drop 300 I want to get the best for my buck.

docfuhr
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
thanks for the reply. Do you know what the going rate is for the remington? I'd rather buy it broke in but not broken.

randy
06-26-2008, 3:11 PM
There's more 870's than sold than any other shotgun in the world. They've been around forever.

Everybody that makes a bolt on gadget makes it for an 870. Excelent reliability, ergonomics, parts availabilty if you break something, fast handleing. The gun balances better than a Mossberg for me. Tough as a rock.

IMC87
06-26-2008, 9:29 PM
Tried them both.. to me, the 870 is built more solid than a mossberg. I own an 870 now :)

Black Majik
06-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Good choice. I prefer the 870 because of the safety, the gun racks smoother, and because the steel receiver.

It's an excellent shotgun that handle quite a bit of bangin' around. Plus it's parts galore when it comes to the 870.

rastro
06-26-2008, 10:39 PM
GET BOTH! :43:

This is a Chevy vs. Ford. (870 is the chebby, 590 da ford) arguement. Largely a matter of personal preference.

I have both a 870 Police Magnum with the factory Scattergun Tech ghost ring sights and a 590A1 with the factory ghost ring sights. Both have 18.5" barrels and Speedfeed I (with the rounds in the stock and no pistol grip) stocks. Both have +2 extensions so have the same round capacity. Essentially identical.

That said, I prefer the 590A1 based on the sights and safety. The rear ring on the 590A1 is protected by wings whereas the 870P ring is exposed and has the potential to get snafued. Also, the safety on the 590A1 is centrally mounted towards the top of the receiver and disengaged with the thumb allowing it to be shot either left or right handed in case of an injury.

But...

It's a shotgun. You don't need ghost rings to make it go bang. You don't need ghost rings to shoot slugs. Line up the bead site and squeeze the trigger. Bang.

With a price range of $300-$350, you could probably pick up a new 870 home defense (model #5077) if you shop around. It has an 18" barrel and 7-round capacity (6+1), so you don't need to worry about dimples being incompatible with extensions.

Bud's gun shop has it for $316 delivered. (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95077) He has said he is still willing to deal with CA gunowners after July 1st, so I would consider him one of the good guys.

Since the 870 is the Chevy of the gun world, it has every mall-ninja accessory available. You are better off saving that accessory money and investing it on range time, ammo, and classes before you go out hang a whole bunch of crap off of it. Training, training, training!!! :D

Joe Register
06-27-2008, 8:53 PM
I bought one of the big five specials two years ago to use for a two day course. I was a bit concerned because the express security model doesn't exactly have the fit and finish of an older wingmaster. The class was the first time it was fired and it went through several hundred rounds or bird, buck and slugs without any problems in function other than the occasional short stroke on my part (I am used to autos). I thought for the price it was an excellent buy. Downsides were the plastic stock doesn't fit that great. The extended mag tube makes disassembly considerably more difficult than the normal mag tube. The finish rusts very easily. It is like some cheap powdercoat. It also had a plastic trigger assembly with a lock that i think is retarded. However - where it counts - function and reliability was top notch. I don't own a Mossberg but I do like the safety better than the 870. They had a good deal going for a while for the Mossberg with two barrels - affordable entry level hunting gun and HD combo.

Jamez
06-28-2008, 7:39 AM
I love the 870's and they're pretty cheap. Usualy I've seen them around the $350. You can pretty much get them anywhere, Big 5, Sports Authority, ect.

mur
06-28-2008, 7:50 AM
You can pretty much get them anywhere, Big 5, Sports Authority, ect.

YEP, also the CalGuns Marketplace, I picked mine up for 200.00:D
They will pop up, patience is the key.......

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 2:12 PM
870 has a steel receiver and metal firing control module, like a real gun.
Mossberg has an aluminum receiver and a plastic firing control module like an airsoft or BB gun.
870's don't rattle nearly as much as a Mossberg.

Ballistic043
06-28-2008, 3:02 PM
ive used and experienced failures in both my 590 SP and 870's Security/Tactical Magnums just the same. if you want to know which is more reliable well that goes to mossberg but only slightly.

since mossbergs are alittle on the loose end, they can handle alot more dirt and debris in places that on other shotguns might have tight tolerances and be sensitive to fouling. yes, this makes the gun jiggle. but so what? the guns are mil spec tested and currently used by our marines in iraq, a place where dirt is an every day problem. they are also very light weight because mossberg chose the aluminum receivers. yea, its not as strong as steel. but does that mean all guns using anything but metal are weak? (glock, HK, S&W, sig sauer) when was the last time you saw a bent shotgun receiver? it hardly happens even in the toughest conditions.

dont get me wrong. remingtons do have advantages. they feel sturdier, and yes the some stuff is metal compared to mossberg. they are easier to fix and maintain; the parts are more readily available if (when) it breaks, and personally i favor the finish and appearance. they also have more upgrade accessories for the tacticool crowd. they have a great track record and price, as they are the most widely used shotgun for law enforcement use today.

but i still prefer mossberg. t

a few years ago at burro canyon i was out with some friends with our shotguns. we were setting up some targets and had our 870's and 590's against the truck with the actions open. a gust of wind came along blew all the shotguns into the dirt. man, im not talking surface dirt. no, by the time we got back, enough dirt had got into the actions to completely clog them. needless to say it was a huge mess, but we decided to take advantage of the event. test time! upon first cycling, the two remingtons would jam consistently with one another. the actions wouldnt close, preventing the guns from firing. at one point the pump handle completely seized up! fail! it took about 10 minutes of cleaning to get the 870 'reliable' to get through all 8 rounds!

once i loaded up my own mossberg, the first rack didnt close the action all the way. trying a secondary time yielded complete success and dropped a shower of sand out the bottom. gun fired with no problems. and i continued blasting 30 or 40 rounds with no failures to close or operate. later in the day, i got home and noticed alot of dirt buildup in the cracks, and crevices especially around the extractor and action arm. i was shocked that the gun didnt completely seize up. but only once. before this event i had decided on the mossberg 590 because my 500 was just so damn reliable. well after seeing what happened to my friends 870's, i can say i made the right choice.

these were just my experiences and im sure there are those which are completely opposite. so just take this as another experience

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 3:11 PM
for mossberg, i find the parts are a bit more money unnecessarily. but they have been mil spec tested and meet criteria for a combat shotgun.

The steel receivered 590's passed, but the aluminum receivered guns would never have made it.

This thread is comparing the cheap models from each brand so it's not fair to be comparing a premium mossberg to an 870 as the price points are not the same league.

scottmandue
06-28-2008, 3:23 PM
I bought one of the big five specials two years ago to use for a two day course. I was a bit concerned because the express security model doesn't exactly have the fit and finish of an older wingmaster. The class was the first time it was fired and it went through several hundred rounds or bird, buck and slugs without any problems in function other than the occasional short stroke on my part (I am used to autos). I thought for the price it was an excellent buy. Downsides were the plastic stock doesn't fit that great. The extended mag tube makes disassembly considerably more difficult than the normal mag tube. The finish rusts very easily. It is like some cheap powdercoat.

Joe,
Where did you take that class? Sound like fun and a great way to break in my new 870.

randy
06-28-2008, 7:36 PM
I dig my aluminum receiver shotguns.

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 8:18 PM
I dig my aluminum receiver shotguns.

I bet most say benelli on them, not mossberg.

randy
06-28-2008, 8:37 PM
Yep

NoobShooter
06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Aren't 870's used in most police departments?

ar15barrels
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Aren't 870's used in most police departments?

Yep.

jakemccoy
07-01-2008, 1:39 AM
870 is my choice.

stockplayer
07-01-2008, 7:35 AM
make sure you get the 870 police..........the current 870 express has a plastic trigger group.

ar15barrels
07-01-2008, 1:07 PM
make sure you get the 870 police..........the current 870 express has a plastic trigger group.

Plastic triggerguards. :willy_nilly:
It's the downfall of society I tell you.