PDA

View Full Version : Newly arrived M1 Garands from the CMP

renardsubtil
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Heyas,

Here are my two HRA Service Grade garands that came in the mail last week.

May 5th was the date the CMP acknowledged the order arrival, the 20th I got my first email from them and I got them June 19th :)

They both in the 5.6 million range and the wood is real dark after my first cosmoline cleaning...maybe they're walnut? I put my M1A with walnut furniture next to them for comparison.

One rifle's bluing was about 70% and other was a nice 90% maybe (this includes the trigger assembly when I pulled them out to clean them).

The barrels looks very shiny after a cleaning, I did see some weird deep scratch in both barrels in the same spot near the muzzle.

icormba
06-26-2008, 12:24 AM
The barrels looks very shiny after a cleaning, I did see some weird deep scratch in both barrels in the same spot near the muzzle.

Could the deep scratch you speak of happen to be the gas port hole? It should line up with the gas cylinder

look for the 8 in the diagram on the right, is that your scratch?
(ignor the "gas trap" diagram on the left)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Garandpatents.gif

renardsubtil
06-26-2008, 7:41 AM
o-m-g

Yeah. That's gotta be it. Lol! thanks Chris :)

Some more details I left out.

Trigger appears to be an SA part and one rifle has an SA Op Rod and the other is an HRA.

Both rifles appear to have a HRA barrel, one looks pretty rubbed out with some markings that I can't distinguish othe than a HRA and a paritial number...the other rifle had better markings (pic attached)

icormba
07-24-2008, 12:21 AM
o-m-g

Yeah. That's gotta be it. Lol! thanks Chris :)

Some more details I left out.

Trigger appears to be an SA part and one rifle has an SA Op Rod and the other is an HRA.

Both rifles appear to have a HRA barrel, one looks pretty rubbed out with some markings that I can't distinguish othe than a HRA and a paritial number...the other rifle had better markings (pic attached)

Just stumbled upon your reply! Nice! Good chance those are original HRA barrels on those things! Cool!

by the way... I just noticed in your messy room;) you have a Hockey stick leaning against the wall, you play?

renardsubtil
08-11-2008, 2:51 PM
yeah I used to kinda play some street hockey with friends for awhile (blame it on turning 30 and needing to do something dangerous lol!) but I haven't been to lately - btw, GO SHARKS!