PDA

View Full Version : Any online retailers able to ship hi capacity magazines to CA (LEO)

Gundam
06-25-2008, 5:23 PM
I'm a police officer and I was wondering if there are any good online retailers that will ship hicaps to california assuming that I provide proof that I'm an LEO.

redcliff
06-25-2008, 5:35 PM
:lurk5:

308fan
06-25-2008, 5:37 PM
Look in your Porac magazine. I think Davidsons has a Peace Officer package.

308fan

NotSoFast
06-25-2008, 5:40 PM
Might I suggest you talk to your local LE authorized dealer and ask them? They should know if anybody does. :)

Gundam
06-25-2008, 5:42 PM
Might I suggest you talk to your local LE authorized dealer and ask them? They should know if anybody does. :)

Just trying to save a little coin. Most of the gun stores around here charge nearly twice as much as some online retailers.

Sobriquet
06-25-2008, 9:52 PM
You can't beat CDNN's prices. I'd give them a call to see if they're willing. They're rather.... unfriendly.... towards us civilian Californians, but they may help out a LEO.

Good luck.

halifax
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Most FFLs have their Large Capacity Magazine Permits. Find a friendly one that will order some for you without a big markup. The permit will probably already be on-file with the wholesaler.

SJgunguy24
06-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey Gundam,why don't you give L.C. action a call. They're in San Jose. Pretty nice place,very accomidating. I'm not L.E. but I do some private gigs and have always gone to them and they have given me great service. Unfortunatlly they don't sell any fire arms to non LEO's but they will sell you any thing else. :confused:I got my body armor there nik kits mags etc.. What is your issue sidearm? They have great prices,they keep bankers hours and if you call there is a lady named Julie she is a sweetheart and hopefully can help you out.

USMC_2651_E5
06-25-2008, 11:34 PM
pm sent

Dark Water
06-26-2008, 3:11 AM
The easiest way is normally to get them through your department since most companies will require an order on department letterhead anyway.
Check your local FFL they can sell them if through your dept is too much of a hassle.

kakpataka
06-26-2008, 3:26 AM
I'm a police officer and I was wondering if there are any good online retailers that will ship hicaps to california assuming that I provide proof that I'm an LEO.

So, do you have an OLL rifle? just wondering!

lakai
06-26-2008, 3:49 AM
brownells or midway will ship you hi caps regardless if you're leo or not

Gundam
06-26-2008, 5:38 AM
So, do you have an OLL rifle? just wondering!

No I don't. Just looking for hicaps for my non-duty weapon.

trinydex
06-26-2008, 1:02 PM
:D

that's a good reason right thur

cj cake
06-26-2008, 3:27 PM
No I don't. Just looking for hicaps for my non-duty weapon.

If the weapon is not your duty weapon then there is no need for hi-caps!

I don't understand why LEO have the right to buy something other citizens cannot just because of their occupation. If it is needed for the job, then it should only be used at the job.....unless everyone can purchase Hi-caps for their "Off Duty Weapon".

CHS
06-26-2008, 3:45 PM
brownells or midway will ship you hi caps regardless if you're leo or not

Uhhhh.. Really?

Gundam
06-26-2008, 6:44 PM

I don't understand why LEO have the right to buy something other citizens cannot just because of their occupation. If it is needed for the job, then it should only be used at the job.....unless everyone can purchase Hi-caps for their "Off Duty Weapon".

Sigh...I was hoping that this wouldn't have happened. Just so you know, some of the biggest 2nd amendment supporters are cops. And if it was up to cops, every law abiding citizen should be able to carry. It's funny how cops get so much hate by gun enthusiasts, when a good majority of them love guns just as much.

And for the record, I carry a different pistol off-duty. I'm not purchasing hicaps because I want to spend less time reloading on the range. I want hicaps so that in the event I have to draw my weapon while off-duty, I have the maximum amount of rounds available.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 7:00 PM
It's funny how cops get so much hate by gun enthusiasts, when a good majority of them love guns just as much.

Why do you interperate this as hate toward cops, when in fact it is just an observation on how our current laws are unjust and create a separate class of citizen for whom the BS laws don't apply to simply because of their occupation.

I want hicaps so that in the event I have to draw my weapon while off-duty, I have the maximum amount of rounds available.

As do I and thousands of other Californians. But why should LEOs be allowed this increased protection and not every other law abiding citizen? That's my point. It's not about LEO's but the laws as they currently stand. I am sorry if this came across as an attack but I am tired of this crap. Why can't I protect my family as "well" as a cop? Are they not as worthy?

trinydex
06-26-2008, 7:06 PM
let's just not make blanket statements. some cops want to have guns in the hands of helpers. some cops don't. just the truth, once we start saying all and generally we start making opportunities to put our foot in the piehole.

Gundam
06-26-2008, 7:16 PM
let's just not make blanket statements. some cops want to have guns in the hands of helpers. some cops don't. just the truth, once we start saying all and generally we start making opportunities to put our foot in the piehole.

I'm going off a statistic that I found around 5 years ago for a college paper so the numbers may have changed. A poll of police administrators resulted in nearly 80% wanting more lax carry laws. I would imagine that a poll of line level officers would net an even higher percentage.

apbrian112
06-26-2008, 7:20 PM
brownells or midway will NOTship you hi caps regardless if you're leo or not

this is what you meant to say, right?

Gundam
06-26-2008, 7:21 PM
Why do you interperate this as hate toward cops, when in fact it is just an observation on how our current laws are unjust and create a separate class of citizen for whom the BS laws don't apply to simply because of their occupation.

As do I and thousands of other Californians. But why should LEO be allowed this increase protection and not every other citizen? That's my point. It's not about LEO's but the laws as they currently stand. I am sorry if this can across as an attack but I am tired of this crap. Why can't I protect my family as "well" as a cop? Are they not as worthy?

Then I don't understand why you would want to vent on a message forum against a lowly police officer.... an individual that has as much pull on enacting laws as you or any other joe citizen.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 7:28 PM
an individual that has as much pull on enacting laws as you or any other joe citizen.
because I am tired of hearing how LEOs are afforded these "additional" rights and Joe citizen is not.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 7:29 PM
Do you feel that this special case of "LEO ONLY" law is just?

ldivinag
06-26-2008, 7:34 PM
Then I don't understand why you would want to vent on a message forum against a lowly police officer.... an individual that has as much pull on enacting laws as you or any other joe citizen.

sorry G, but in this context, you wont get much help...

yes, i believe cops should be able to use as much of the tools, but when you mentioned OFF DUTY, i think that's when the tipping point went over...

best bet is to go through you dept still and use their letterhead.

Gundam
06-26-2008, 7:38 PM
because I am tired of hearing how LEOs are afforded these "additional" rights and Joe citizen is not.
As I'm sure how many LEOs are tired of people preaching to the choir.

I have as much weight in enacting gun legislation as you do. You getting upset about how you can't purchase hicaps is equivalent to me blaming you about how I can't search every gangbanger for weapons without articulable facts that he may be carrying. I don't write the laws, my Sergeant doesn't write the laws, nor does my Chief. If you really care that much, then voicing your opinion on a pro-gun website that is filled with gun lovers is probably the last thing you want to do if you're looking for change.

Gundam
06-26-2008, 7:43 PM
Do you feel that this special case of "LEO ONLY" law is just?
If you haven't already noticed I (like many of my colleagues) are very pro-gun. You're preaching to the choir buddy.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 7:49 PM
The change I am looking for starts right here. I am not preaching to the choir if the choir is telling me he feels the same way as I do about the laws and then uses those laws to benefit his situation. If the law says you can have high caps, and joe citizen can't, then the law is unjust. If you use that law to your benefit, then you are not helping the situation. I don't write the laws, my Sergeant doesn't write the laws, nor does my Chief
but you are talking about OFF DUTY right, so what does this have to do with anything. Just because a law says we can do something does not make it right. Slavery was lawful at one time, it was not right. The first step in change is to recognize the problem and then do what you can to fix it. By LEOs purchasing hi-caps, AWs, etc. etc. for non official use is not right and this IS the problem.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 7:53 PM
You getting upset about how you can't purchase hicaps is equivalent to me blaming you about how I can't search every gangbanger for weapons without articulable facts that he may be carrying. For the record, I am not upset. Can you explain the logic in this statement? Because it is beyond my comprehention level.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 8:00 PM
If you really care that much, then voicing your opinion on a pro-gun website that is filled with gun lovers is probably the last thing you want to do if you're looking for change.
If you haven't already noticed I (like many of my colleagues) are very pro-gun. You're preaching to the choir buddy. Don't get me wrong....I am just debating the law here. This is not about not liking LEO's or if you are pro-gun or not.

Gundam
06-26-2008, 8:01 PM
For the record, I am not upset. Can you explain the logic in this statement? Because it is beyond my comprehention level.

You complaining to me about something you aren't allowed to do is the same as me complaining to you about something I can't do. Neither of us write the laws with our own hands.

Gundam
06-26-2008, 8:08 PM
The change I am looking for starts right here. I am not preaching to the choir if the choir is telling me he feels the same way as I do about the laws and then uses those laws to benefit his situation. If the law says you can have high caps, and joe citizen can't, then the law is unjust. If you use that law to your benefit, then you are not helping the situation.
but you are talking about OFF DUTY right, so what does this have to do with anything. Just because a law says we can do something does not make it right. Slavery was lawful at one time, it was not right. The first step in change is to recognize the problem and then do what you can to fix it. By LEOs purchasing hi-caps, AWs, etc. etc. for non official use is not right and this IS the problem.

My occupation creates a lot of enemies on a daily basis. Do you know how easy it is for someone to simply follow me home from work and get his revenge for putting him in jail? Or the fact that I may run into someone I put away while at dinner with my friends or family? Police work is inherently dangerous while on the clock, but equally as dangerous off. Because of the occupation I chose, I have to live my life in condition yellow. I can't afford the luxury of being fat dumb and happy like I once was before taking this job.

With all that said, I still agree with you that you should be offered the same right as I do when it comes to firearms.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 8:10 PM
You complaining to me about something you aren't allowed to do is the same as me complaining to you about something I can't do. Neither of us write the laws with our own hands.

The difference is that what I can't do, you can, what you can't do, I can't either. Therefore, not the same.....get where I am coming from here?

cj cake
06-26-2008, 8:14 PM
My occupation creates a lot of enemies on a daily basis. Do you know how easy it is for someone to simply follow me home from work and get his revenge for putting him in jail? Or the fact that I may run into someone I put away while at dinner with my friends or family? Police work is inherently dangerous while on the clock, but equally as dangerous off. Because of the occupation I chose, I have to live my life in condition yellow.

I understand all this, but it is a choice after all. Who's to say I am not in an equally dangerous occupation. Say for example, a correctional officer, but since it is not LAW ENFORCMENT, I do not have the same set of standards as you.

cj cake
06-26-2008, 8:17 PM
Well my friend, duty calls. I have to go for now.

03556JLL
06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
try these guys www.botach.com

dusty
06-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Try Copes Distributing. They ship to LEO in CA with copy of police ID.

jmzhwells
06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Correctional Officers can get hi cap mags, for the gun they qualify with at their range. The gun has to be listed on their CCW permit, and they can only get hi caps for that gun.

Not trying to stir the pot, just relating ca. law as explained to me by FFL's

FEDUPWBS
06-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Correctional Officers can get hi cap mags, for the gun they qualify with at their range. The gun has to be listed on their CCW permit, and they can only get hi caps for that gun.

Not trying to stir the pot, just relating ca. law as explained to me by FFL's

It came from an FFL it must be true!;)

JeffM
06-27-2008, 12:50 AM
It came from an FFL it must be true!;)

See my sig line. :rolleyes:

BamBam-31
06-27-2008, 1:17 AM
My occupation creates a lot of enemies on a daily basis. Do you know how easy it is for someone to simply follow me home from work and get his revenge for putting him in jail? Or the fact that I may run into someone I put away while at dinner with my friends or family? Police work is inherently dangerous while on the clock, but equally as dangerous off. Because of the occupation I chose, I have to live my life in condition yellow. I can't afford the luxury of being fat dumb and happy like I once was before taking this job.

Funny, I just got subpoenaed in a criminal case. Some banger came into my shop and bought $400 bucks worth of stuff on a stolen credit card. Detective came in, asked me a few questions, and I was able to ID the guy from a lineup. Now I gotta go into court and testify against this guy and put him in jail. In case you missed it, dude knows who I am, where my shop is, etc. If he knows, his family knows, his homies know, etc. And we're a family-owned business. Hurray for justice.

Only difference between you and me is you chose to walk this path. I got dragged into it. Doesn't mean a thing to bangers looking for retribution, does it? So tell me again why you deserve standard caps and I don't. Is your life and the lives of your loved ones worth more?

And mine's just one small example. I'm sure you run into tons of people in even more perilous non-LEO related situations on a daily basis. Tell me again why those people shouldn't be afforded the same opportunities you are for something as basic and intrinsic as self-defense.

I would have to agree w/ the previous poster that you are not part of the "choir" if you believe it right and just that you have more rights than Joe Citizen simply because of your line of work. That mentality has to change.

pcesar
06-27-2008, 3:40 AM
I don't know of any police officer that says people do not have a right to protect themselves. I know that they always want the good guys to win. Killing burglers, rapist, child molesters or who ever is commiting a crime is what they all wish. You have to remember that LEO's have seen these types of situation first hand and wish for the good guy to come on top. There is no place more special to anyone then there home. They should have guns to protect their families. Unfortunately alot of laws are not right. Alot of LEO's cannot go out and have a good time with their families becuase they have to look over their shoulder for anyone they might have arrested. Sucks when you go to a restaurant and see that person you arrested a week before. Will they spit in your foot? And for Bam-Bam, you have experienced one such situation that makes you fear for your life. Imagine that feeling everyday of your life because thats what LEO's go throught everyday. You also stated taht they signed up for that. Well, so did you. You work at a shop that excepts cc and cash, you better be willing to testifiy against criminals. Do LEO's need high cap mags? Hell yeah they do. Should people be able to protect themselves from harm. You bet. There is nothing easier for a LEO then finding the perp shot at the scene with the citizen telling the story, rather than the other way around. As for people stating that LEO's being able to get high caps while citizens cant is wrong. Well, I don't like it that I have to pay full price at a restaurant, when their employees get 50% discount. I deserve that discount, since I am the customer and customers keep the business going. If I cannot have 50% off, neither should they.

paul0660
06-27-2008, 7:17 AM
I don't understand how this thread lasted so long. You need to be an FFL with a
Large Capacity Magazine Permit to import them into California. It is against the law to get them otherwise, no matter if you are a legal end user. If Gundam isn't BATF or DOJ or an anti trolling for illegal advice, he sure sounds like one.

packnrat
06-27-2008, 9:12 AM
all leo exempt item's (for the gun) should be ordered only through the state attorney generals office.

you know put in the proper forms and wait 6 mos for your items.

:chris:

tyrist
06-27-2008, 9:35 AM
The difference is that what I can't do, you can, what you can't do, I can't either. Therefore, not the same.....get where I am coming from here?

The constitution protects the individual from the government not other individuals. No forth amendment protection from other citizens only goverment agents.

Gundam
06-27-2008, 9:40 AM
Funny, I just got subpoenaed in a criminal case. Some banger came into my shop and bought $400 bucks worth of stuff on a stolen credit card. Detective came in, asked me a few questions, and I was able to ID the guy from a lineup. Now I gotta go into court and testify against this guy and put him in jail. In case you missed it, dude knows who I am, where my shop is, etc. If he knows, his family knows, his homies know, etc. And we're a family-owned business. Hurray for justice.

Only difference between you and me is you chose to walk this path. I got dragged into it. Doesn't mean a thing to bangers looking for retribution, does it? So tell me again why you deserve standard caps and I don't. Is your life and the lives of your loved ones worth more?

And mine's just one small example. I'm sure you run into tons of people in even more perilous non-LEO related situations on a daily basis. Tell me again why those people shouldn't be afforded the same opportunities you are for something as basic and intrinsic as self-defense.

I would have to agree w/ the previous poster that you are not part of the "choir" if you believe it right and just that you have more rights than Joe Citizen simply because of your line of work. That mentality has to change.
How about you tell me why you decided to cut out the last bit of my message stating that I do believe that people should be offered the same gun rights as LEOs?

gunrun45
06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
deleted good info for where to aquire them as a LEO due to overwhelming negative sentiment by other posters to this thread...

Heller's outcome didn't give you the right to bash somebdoy who was just asking a question in a good natured manner. If he had asked this question a month ago you would be answering it nicely in an effort to maintain good relations with LEO's...

paul0660
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
ARTICLE 2. UNLAWFUL CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following

(19) The sale of, giving of, lending of, importation into this state of, or purchase of, any large-capacity magazine to or by any federal, state, county, city and county, or city agency that is charged with the enforcement of any law, for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.

I got a warning a few months ago for a flippant remark I made that could be construed as advocating an illegal act. Once again, why is this thread still alive? Also, where would Gundam want to serve his year?

Gundam
06-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I got a warning a few months ago for a flippant remark I made that could be construed as advocating an illegal act. Once again, why is this thread still alive? Also, where would Gundam want to serve his year?

It's not like I knew the legality of the issue and asked the question anyways. I had a question that I was hoping people more knowledgeable then I was, would be able to answer. Is that a crime? If retailers cannot import hi capacity magazines into this state, then so be it. I found my answer. I will stick with the local establishments to get my magazines. I apologize for creating such a stir on such a simple question.

BamBam-31
06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
How about you tell me why you decided to cut out the last bit of my message stating that I do believe that people should be offered the same gun rights as LEOs?

Because it doesn't jive w/ what other LEO's have stated previously. Please understand, I'm not directing this at you personally but at LEO's in general and the situation as a whole. I have no doubt you believe what you say you do. In fact, going from how patiently and gracefully you've fielded the angst directed towards you (again, stemming from the situation itself), you sound like a good guy. Your question just opened up a can of worms, eh? :p

Imagine that feeling everyday of your life because thats what LEO's go throught everyday. You also stated taht they signed up for that. Well, so did you. You work at a shop that excepts cc and cash, you better be willing to testifiy against criminals. Do LEO's need high cap mags? Hell yeah they do. Should people be able to protect themselves from harm. You bet. There is nothing easier for a LEO then finding the perp shot at the scene with the citizen telling the story, rather than the other way around. As for people stating that LEO's being able to get high caps while citizens cant is wrong. Well, I don't like it that I have to pay full price at a restaurant, when their employees get 50% discount. I deserve that discount, since I am the customer and customers keep the business going. If I cannot have 50% off, neither should they.

You're equating a businessman w/ a policeman in terms of the level of danger they willingly sign up for. You're also comparing being legally denied equal rights of self defense to a 50% discount at a restaurant. Both comparisons are epically bad. If you really need me to dissect why, I will. However, I'll just leave it at that for now. What doesn't make sense to me, however, is if you believe 1) cops NEED "high cap mags" because of the danger they face, 2) businessmen also face work-related dangers, and 3) people should be able to protect themselves, then why don't you believe Joe Citizen should be afforded equal rights to CCW's, standard caps, etc.?

Linh
06-27-2008, 1:40 PM
You guys are going off on the wrong guy. Gundam seems like a nice person from his friendly posts.

We don't need to be bashing LEO. So does everyone hate those who work for the gov so what's next military personnel? As much as I don't like some LEO not all are evil.

I mean is this how we treat people on calguns?

Also while we are at it let's bash on CCW permit holders as well since they can carry conceal and we can't.

Linh
06-27-2008, 1:42 PM
try these guys www.botach.com

Are you tryin to set him up for failure???

Don't try those guys they will list something and might not have it in stock etc.....pently have been posted about them here and on glocktalk.

paul0660
06-27-2008, 3:29 PM
It's not like I knew the legality of the issue and asked the question anyways. I had a question that I was hoping people more knowledgeable then I was, would be able to answer.

In that case, try a LEO forum, or ask your "work buddies". This whole thing still smacks of trolling to me. The facts are that big mags aren't legal, except for LEOS or unless they are grandfathered, that bringing them in without a permit is illegal, that talking about illegal activity can jeapordise this forum, and that you have a computer, and a low post count. All this stuff about LEOs vs. the rest of us was a separate discussion.

BamBam-31
06-27-2008, 3:59 PM
I dunno. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a troll. I think he had an honest question and just stepped in it when he did. :shrug:

Shane916
06-27-2008, 4:06 PM
In that case, try a LEO forum, or ask your "work buddies". This whole thing still smacks of trolling to me. The facts are that big mags aren't legal, except for LEOS or unless they are grandfathered, that bringing them in without a permit is illegal, that talking about illegal activity can jeapordise this forum, and that you have a computer, and a low post count. All this stuff about LEOs vs. the rest of us was a separate discussion.

LEO's can purchase/possess/import high capacity magazines legally.
LEO's can have high capacity magazines shipped to their address.
High capacity magazines cannot be grandfathered.

Gundam
06-27-2008, 4:21 PM
A lurker yes. A troll no. I've been on enough forums to know that searching for an answer first is probably the best way to go before posting and getting flamed. Had I found the answer to my question via the search function I would have never posted it in the first place.

I thought calguns was a bit more friendly and open then other boards I have frequented, but I guess I was wrong. I appreciate the helpful information that many of the members have offered. But mods, if you think this thread is getting out of hand, please close it. The last thing I want to do is further the rift between gun enthusiasts and LEOs, even though the two are often times synonymous.

762cavalier
06-27-2008, 4:31 PM
Gundam- don't let the negative responses you have received keep you from frequenting this site. We need more good LEO like yourself on here. While I agree with the sentiment that it is unfair for Police to get normal capacity magazines while the rest of us cannot, the ire directed at you is misplaced. You are simply trying to get an answer to a question about where you can legally acquire magazines you are entitled to. Fair or not it is what it is, and you probably had no part in setting up the law as it exists.

Gundam
06-27-2008, 4:44 PM
Gundam- don't let the negative responses you have received keep you from frequenting this site. We need more good LEO like yourself on here. While I agree with the sentiment that it is unfair for Police to get normal capacity magazines while the rest of us cannot, the ire directed at you is misplaced. You are simply trying to get an answer to a question about where you can legally acquire magazines you are entitled to. Fair or not it is what it is, and you probably had no part in setting up the law as it exists.
No worries. A few comments won't keep me from visiting this site and enjoying my hobby. I've a member of many other forums that are more hostile then this one.

IGOTDIRT4U
06-27-2008, 5:49 PM
A lurker yes. A troll no. I've been on enough forums to know that searching for an answer first is probably the best way to go before posting and getting flamed. Had I found the answer to my question via the search function I would have never posted it in the first place.

I thought calguns was a bit more friendly and open then other boards I have frequented, but I guess I was wrong. I appreciate the helpful information that many of the members have offered. But mods, if you think this thread is getting out of hand, please close it. The last thing I want to do is further the rift between gun enthusiasts and LEOs, even though the two are often times synonymous.

PM sent with GOOD local contact for hi-caps.

pcesar
06-27-2008, 6:55 PM
A businessmans job cannot be compared to what Police officers has to do on a dialy basis. Do you need to ask who has a more dangerous job? I never said or have I read of anyone who said citizens should not defende themselves. You are mad because you cannot get high capacity magazines, while Police Officer can. That is the plain and simple fact of this whole thread. And like I mentiond about the 50% discount, some people get things some don't. Don't get mad with LEO's because they can get high cap magazines, get mad that your lawmakers have made such laws that prevent you from purchasing them. What equal right are you talking about? High capacity magaines? You can have a gun and protect yourself or your business. What other rights have they taken away from you? Next thing you are going to want is to wear a uniform and drive a police car because you have the right drive.

BamBam-31
06-27-2008, 7:10 PM
Sigh....no. Nevermind. Some people get things, some don't. On this, we can agree. :surrender:

VacaDuck
06-27-2008, 9:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong on this. Police Officers belong to a union. The union holds elections for its leadership. The union leadership backs gun control measures with LEO exemptions. Therefore the LEO on the street does in fact support gun control through their choice of elected union officials.

This is only thinking out loud and does not reflect my feelings on the issue. As a matter of fact, I am torn both ways in regard to the LEO exemption.

MT1
06-27-2008, 9:45 PM
Correct me if I am wrong on this. Police Officers belong to a union. The union holds elections for its leadership. The union leadership backs gun control measures with LEO exemptions. Therefore the LEO on the street does in fact support gun control through their choice of elected union officials.

This is only thinking out loud and does not reflect my feelings on the issue. As a matter of fact, I am torn both ways in regard to the LEO exemption.

I don't want to wade in on this argument either, but this should be pointed out as very important thing to think about - many uninformed voters just look at who supports the bill, and well if police support the magazine ban it must be for public safety - so yes in effect all LEO like you said are part of the problem.

SkyStorm82
06-27-2008, 9:49 PM
so yes in effect all LEO like you said are part of the problem.

Really??? ALL LEO's are part of the problem?:rolleyes:

Gundam
06-27-2008, 9:59 PM

The fact that you're a citizen of california mean that you do in fact support gun control as demonstrated by the choice of leadership you may or may not have helped elect into office.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

VacaDuck
06-27-2008, 10:15 PM
The fact that you're a citizen of california mean that you do in fact support gun control as demonstrated by the choice of leadership you may or may not have helped elect into office.

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds?

As I stated, I am torn as to how to feel about the issue. I never said it didn't sound ridiculous, I just said I was thinking out loud.

SJgunguy24
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Gundam, don't trip bro. I know what you do is dangerous and I hope that everyday you can go home and be with you family everyday. If you were to make the trip to San Jose GO TO LC they will help you out. I've met quite a few out of town L.E. that made the trip because of the prices. I was at Richard May's funeral East Palo Alto P.D. I didn't know the guy but I had to pay my respect. That is something I will never forget. Gundam you stay safe. Don't forget about the new glock math 17 goes into 26.......

MT1
06-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Really??? ALL LEO's are part of the problem?:rolleyes:

Ok, I'm sorry - any that are in a union that supports pointless gun legislation.

SkyStorm82
06-28-2008, 12:41 AM
We're in a state that supports pointless gun legislation....

Try again.

lakai
06-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Uhhhh.. Really?

try it.

cal_ar_shooter
06-28-2008, 6:37 AM

+1:43:

cal_ar_shooter
06-28-2008, 6:50 AM
I don't want to wade in on this argument either, but this should be pointed out as very important thing to think about - many uninformed voters just look at who supports the bill, and well if police support the magazine ban it must be for public safety - so yes in effect all LEO like you said are part of the problem.

You could not have said it better.

lakai
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
this thread has gone way off topic.. someone close this

CSACANNONEER
06-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I haven't read this whole thread but, I think it is legal for you to buy repair kits and manufacture a new mag with it. You could order repair kits from LAK Supply or any one of the vendors here that deal in mags.

M5police
06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Dont worry....The general public will appreciate guys like him or others when they dial 911. NUFF' SAID.

Infidel
06-28-2008, 5:13 PM
Ok I can't take it anymore...What the hell guys you're like a bunch of kids, its not fair LEO's can have this and that and I can't. If you don't like it go apply like the rest of us did. Its not like we make the laws, its not like we think no one else should own guns but us. Why is every time a LEO openly posts on here he gets bashed. Part of the reason I wanted to be a cop was the benefits. Maybe not fair, but if you worked at an ammo factory and got free ammo every month for free would that be fair? Everyone gets perks from what they do, everyone takes advantage of what they can. Why are so many of you anti LEO? I agree the laws aren't fair and I'm pro gun, pro hi-cap, pro ccw but there is nothing I can do about changing the law.

06-28-2008, 6:32 PM
It's not anti-leo, it's anti-elitism.

paladin4415
06-28-2008, 7:36 PM
It's not anti-leo, it's anti-elitism.

Sooo.....being an LEO makes you an elitist?

donger
06-28-2008, 7:58 PM
What's up with the cop bashing? The gentleman asks a simple question and everyone gangs up on the guy.

Sheesh.

If you don't like what the OP is asking don't trash his post. He's obviously a gun enthusiast and on our side. Write your congressman, don't whine about the laws to an LEO on a gun forum.

MT1
06-28-2008, 8:01 PM
Dont worry....The general public will appreciate guys like him or others when they dial 911. NUFF' SAID.

I do appriciate LEO's - very much so, and have a few friends that are....but calling 911 for me is just about CYA, I have the tools to take care of myself and LE is quite a long ways away should SHTF.

06-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Sooo.....being an LEO makes you an elitist?

Did someone say that?

BamBam-31
06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Just because you're LEO does not mean you're automatically elitist. Likewise, just because you're against elitism doesn't mean you're automatically anti-LEO.

IOW, there are cops that understand how it's wrong that Joe Citizen is LEGALLY forbidden from access to self-defense tools commonly available to cops. This LEGAL aspect negates all the other "perk" analogies like 50% off or free ammo. Clear? Please note: The Second Amendment does NOT read: "The right of the people to 50% off and free ammo shall not be infringed."

Likewise, there are also Joe Citizens that rail against these unfair laws but nevertheless support and appreciate LEO's and what they do for their communities. Simply because they are angry at the inequality doesn't mean they're anti-LEO. Simply because they are questioning the rationale behind it does not mean they are bashing LEO's.

Unfortunately, wearing the uniform can be a double-edged sword. For instance, a cop's testimony in a court of law should mean no more or less than a non-LEO's testimony. Both are human and subject to the same set of limitations and imperfections, right? Nevertheless, juries often give more weight to a cop's testimony simply because he's wearing a uniform. Fact of life. The flip side of that coin is, if you're wearing the uniform, you will be perceived by gun owners as part of the unfair gun laws problem. Even if you believe them to be wrong, you will catch flak for said gun laws simply for being beneficiaries. Fact of life.

Grimjack
06-29-2008, 8:09 AM
.... Part of the reason I wanted to be a cop was the benefits. Maybe not fair, but if you worked at an ammo factory and got free ammo every month for free would that be fair? Everyone gets perks from what they do, everyone takes advantage of what they can. Why are so many of you anti LEO? I agree the laws aren't fair and I'm pro gun, pro hi-cap, pro ccw but there is nothing I can do about changing the law.

The problem is that as LEOs we are supposed to be serving the citizens of the State, not receiving "percs" for doing our job.

Originally Posted by M5police

Yup...."Cops: When Seconds count they're only minutes away."

pcesar
06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I thought that the lawmakers up at the state capitol were supposed to work for the people of California? Are they the ones that make the laws? Are they the ones that you voted into office and make these gun laws? Why not complain about them getting free cars and paid gas to get to work. They don't even drive hybrids. You guys are complainig about the wrong people here. Why not say if I cannot get a free car and free gas to get to work, neither should they. The second ammendment also does not say you have the right to high capacity magazines. No one it taking your right to own guns, the state just says you don't need high capacity magazines. One bullet or 30 bullets, it does not matter because you only need one to kill you.

762cavalier
06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I do appriciate LEO's - very much so, and have a few friends that are....but calling 911 for me is just about CYA, I have the tools to take care of myself and LE is quite a long ways away should SHTF.

That sums up my feelings about LE also.:D

The problem is that as LEOs we are supposed to be serving the citizens of the State, not receiving "percs" for doing our job.
I think that is the core issue of the Anti-Leo statements here so-far but berating an individual LEO here on a forum is just a waste of bandwidth IMHO. Hopefully those that are railing against the LEO perks here put as much thought and energy(well at least energy:D) into writing their legislators ;)

BamBam-31
06-29-2008, 2:23 PM
The second ammendment also does not say you have the right to high capacity magazines. No one it taking your right to own guns, the state just says you don't need high capacity magazines. One bullet or 30 bullets, it does not matter because you only need one to kill you.

You can't be serious. Do you even understand what the Second Amendment says? SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Again, you don't understand, and I'm beginning to think you never will. There are LAWS against people having CCW's and standard cap mags. It's not about perks like free cars, gas, ammo, etc. If a gun store decided to give me 50% off, or free ammo, or a free car, they wouldn't go to jail. I wouldn't go to jail. No crime has been committed. What if that same store sold me, a non-LEO, a standard cap mag? Bingo. See the difference?

And of course the legislators are primarily the ones to blame. And, no, most of us did not vote them into office. However, if some guy is gonna get thrown in jail for illegally carrying a pistol or illegally manufacturing a standard cap mag, who's gonna be the one arresting him? Boxer? Feinstein? No, it's gonna be someone who benefits from gun law "perks," someone like you. Just doin' your job, right? That's why you have a mix of LEO bashers and apologists on gun boards, while the gun control legislators themselves are universally scorned. There's a definite "you're either part of the solution or part of the problem" mentality involved.

pcesar
06-29-2008, 3:54 PM
You can have guns to protect yourself can't you? So how are you right being infringed just because you cannot have high capacity magazines. So I can say that my right are violated because I was not of age to own a gun back when you could register an assault weapon. Do those people have more right than I do? Should I be upset at them because they registered their aw back then? I don't like the aw law, but does not mean that I have to blame those who did register their guns at the time. Why can they have high cap removal magazines at the range, while I have to have a bullet button and 10 round magazine on mine? This whole thread has turned into people blaming LEO's for laws that came into effect before alot of them were even old enough to own guns. Stop blaming them and start focusing on the real issue. Lawmakers don't want you to have AW. How do you think that LEO's feel when they cannot have AW, because their dept will not give them a letter heads.

james s
06-29-2008, 4:27 PM
Divide and conquer.

Cops don't make the law. The people you vote for do.