PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Questions.

echang86
06-25-2008, 3:01 PM
I'm in the market for my first 1911. After spending a lot of time at the range, and researching off websites, I've decided to choose to go with Kimber. However, there are so many different models, I don't know where to start.

Can somebody please explain the difference between the Kimber Custom II and the Kimber Custom Target II? I'm comparing the specs given on Kimber's website. The only difference I can find are the iron sights, and the retail prices?

According to the website the differences between the Kimber Custom II Stainless and the Kimber Custom II Stainless Target are the sights, prices, and the Stainless Target also comes in 38, 9mm, and 10mm. Does the latter apply to the Kimber Custom Target II too?

Black Majik
06-25-2008, 3:11 PM
I'm in the market for my first 1911. After spending a lot of time at the range, and researching off websites, I've decided to choose to go with Kimber. However, there are so many different models, I don't know where to start.

Can somebody please explain the difference between the Kimber Custom II and the Kimber Custom Target II? I'm comparing the specs given on Kimber's website. The only difference I can find are the iron sights, and the retail prices?

According to the website the differences between the Kimber Custom II Stainless and the Kimber Custom II Stainless Target are the sights, prices, and the Stainless Target also comes in 38, 9mm, and 10mm. Does the latter apply to the Kimber Custom Target II too?

You'll have to go to the DOJ's Approved handgun list.

The Custom II comes with fixed sights, the Custom Target II comes with adjustable sights. Everything else is the same.

I'm pretty sure the Custom Target II isn't approved for sale in 9mm, .38 super and 10mm in CA. I know it's available in Stainless Target II in 9mm and 10mm. However, not sure about the .38 super.

///D
06-25-2008, 3:11 PM
Yes, you are right....the only differences between the 2 you've listed are just the sights and the expanded variety in caliber each one can be had in. If night sights are a must then stick w/ standard. Otherwise more higher end models like the Eclipse series can be had w/ target/night sights. It all comes down to your preference.

L-2
06-25-2008, 3:15 PM
Looking at Kimber's website: www.kimberamerica.com
I found the following answers to your questions.

-The Custom II can come with fixed sights or fixed night sights. The Custom Target II will come with an adjustable rear sight.

-The Custom Target II only comes in .45 ACP.

Kimber can do other custom or special orders. Call Kimber at (914) 964-0742 if you do want something different or special.

Then there's California's Roster of Approved Handguns...http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

JohnnyBangBang
06-25-2008, 3:17 PM
Turners has a sale till tomorrow on the Custon II. Can't go wrong.

CHS
06-25-2008, 3:51 PM
Turners has a sale till tomorrow on the Custon II. Can't go wrong.

Yup they do! My girlfriend just DROS'ed hers on monday.

I *LOVE* my Kimber custom II. I've put so many rounds through that thing. I carry it in a Fobus holster out in the desert, it's got all kinds of finish wear on it, and it just keeps functioning. It's still factory-tight, too. I don't even know how that's possible with what I've put it through.

My next handgun is either a Sig stainless 1911 with target sites, or a Kimber Custom II target stainless. I promise I'll keep that one pretty!

A Kimber 1911 is the last word when it comes to functionality, AND utility.

dgey
06-25-2008, 4:02 PM
if turners has it on sale, go with it. Kimbers rock... I have 3..., the CDP II pro, CDP I compact, and the Gold Match II... love them... Be sure to break in the gun before deciding that you want to customize anything. They will get better with age...

elenius
06-25-2008, 4:17 PM
Love my Kimber Custom II too. It's not exactly stock anymore though. Rosewood grips, magwell, adjustable rear and fiber optic front sight, trigger job, and ambi safety. The extractor is getting a bit iffy now. Waiting for a Wilson Bullet Proof...

///D
06-25-2008, 4:44 PM
Love my Kimber Custom II too. It's not exactly stock anymore though. Rosewood grips, magwell, adjustable rear and fiber optic front sight, trigger job, and ambi safety. The extractor is getting a bit iffy now. Waiting for a Wilson Bullet Proof...

Curious who machined your slide down to accomodate for the rear target sight.

redcliff
06-25-2008, 4:50 PM
Where in Northern California are you //D? Up in Redding we have an outstanding pistolsmith named Larry Mears who has a shop in the back of Olde West. He's done several "buried Bomars" for me on Colts in the past and I own two of his compensated pin guns (I'm really aging myself by mentioning those).

///D
06-25-2008, 4:54 PM
Where in Northern California are you //D? Up in Redding we have an outstanding pistolsmith named Larry Mears who has a shop in the back of Olde West. He's done several "buried Bomars" for me on Colts in the past and I own two of his compensated pin guns (I'm really aging myself by mentioning those).

I'm in San Jose....bit of a drive from Redding that's for sure. I was just curious about the machining seeing I did the same to one of my Kimbers. But on a same note...I do have an old series 70 Gold Cup I'd like to get redone. Does he do all around work?

redcliff
06-25-2008, 5:13 PM
Yes, it's been a while since I talked to him and I know he's pretty heavy into SAA's at the moment, but you should give him a call if you have an interest. He used to shoot IPSC up here and built a lot of excellent race guns for us.

His number is (530) 244-3213, tell him Rod said hello :)

elenius
06-25-2008, 8:53 PM
Curious who machined your slide down to accomodate for the rear target sight.

No need. This one fits in the fixed rear slide cut:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3920000-1108695802

///D
06-25-2008, 9:02 PM
No need. This one fits in the fixed rear slide cut:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3920000-1108695802

Ah, i see. I used a Bomar and since the bottom portruded out, I had to machine a small section off the slide:

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/178/9471/185743.jpg

X-NewYawker
06-25-2008, 9:46 PM
Custom II
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/KimberAnswer.jpg
Warrior II with site rail on dust cover.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_1950.jpg
My two best .45s. They always go "bang"