PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about Pythons?

scottj
06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Ok, I was thinking my small collection of semi-auto hand guns is kind of sterile and what I really "need" is a revolver to round out the collection. After looking in some old threads, I keep seeing the Colt Python described like a demi-god. So what is so great about Pythons and the other Colt snake guns? I admit they do look cool, although I'm not sure what it is about them.

savasyn
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I kinda wonder the same thing, and I own one!! It's a 4" Royal Blue from 1974 and it certainly looks fantastic. I'm not a fan of the double action pull, though. Compared to my Smith and even a '54 Colt Official Police, the Python's DA pull is heavier and awkward. However, the single action release is 2nd to none. You think "now" and it has fired.

My overall experience of it is that it is a beautiful art piece that really isn't that much fun to shoot. Partially due to the DA trigger and partially due to the drop in value with every shot fired. If you are looking for something that is part of a "collection"(which is why I got one) then it's perfect, but if you are looking for something to shoot regularly, I'd suggest any one of the classic Smiths instead.

BamBam-31
06-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Back in the day, Colt's Python bluing set the standard. The metal was polished to a mirror finish, the bluing was deep and gorgeous. Add to that the Python's sexy lines (best looking revolver, IMHO), slick action, and super accurate barrel, and you have a revolver other revolvers are measured up against.

Here's a thread on THR about the Python: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=348238&highlight=python+barrel

dfletcher
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I can't speak to the Anaconda, but I have (and have had) OM Troopers, Officers Models, Cobra, Diamondback & Pythons & New Service revolvers. In general - and with the Python and Old Model Trooper specifically - the action is very smooth and takes less effort to cock than shorter action revolvers like the Smith & Wesson. That's not a knock on S & Ws, their actions are I think crisper & quicker than the Colt. The price paid on the Colt's smooth action is that it's much longer and the pressure tends to stack as the trigger is worked in DA mode.

The OM Trooper and Python also have a fairly pronounced hammer spur, this gives good leverage when cocking by hand and, combined with the smooth long action, gives the perception of a very light, refined action.

On the down side, long action means a longer hammer fall & I suppose that can diminish accuracy for some. And clearly the single action trigger pull on the Smith is better than any Colt.

And of course the Python blued finish is very nice. That & the rib is probably why people like the Python so much. Personally, I like the OM Trooper or their original "357" model. Same action, no heavy barrel.

Miltiades
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I've owned a blued Python with 6 inch barrel for about 8 years, and shoot it every once in awhile. I also own other .357 guns from Ruger and S&W. The Python seems like an exceptional gun to me, and its strong points include:

1. Very nice finish - lots of hand polishing evident, with a beautiful blue job.
2. Excellent trigger feel, compared to any other revolver I have shot.
3. Attractive design, at least to my eye.
4. Great accuracy - I can shoot it better than most other guns.
5. Increasing rarity - out of production and supply is limited.
6. Reputation - most gun people think very highly of it.

I wish I could afford more of them, but the price has gone pretty high. Mine cost $630 in 1999. I bought it from a dealer in Connecticut just before the "CA Handgun Safety List" became law.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtPython10.jpg

redcliff
06-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Pythons rule because their fit and finish and styling is unmatched by any other US revolver. Unfortunately this craftmanship brought a high price so they're out of production.

A well-tuned Python action is one of the smoothest double-action pulls in the world. It actually stacks less than a S&W type action due to the design although it's not as robust either.

I own over a dozen S&W's (j,k,l,n) and used to compete in revolver class with a Model 25, and I like them all very much, but my three Pythons are my favorites.

Any handgun collection would benefit from the inclusion of a Python.

Wyatt
06-25-2008, 12:55 PM
A well-tuned Python action is one of the smoothest double-action pulls in the world.
Any handgun collection would benefit from the inclusion of a Python.

You have to try one to really appreciate it. Downside is maintenance, they do require a bit more than a Ruger or Smith&Wesson.

yellowfin
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I wish they'd put out more .41 Mag Pythons. I saw a couple on GB for mega $...but if I had the money I'd have bought one.

trashman
06-25-2008, 1:11 PM
I wish they'd put out more .41 Mag Pythons.

Just goes to show you learn something new on this site every day -- I had no idea that Pythons ever came in anything but .357 Magnum.

Hmmm.........must add to wish list.

--Neill

jazman
06-25-2008, 3:13 PM
Colt never made a .41 Python. There have been some jury rigged up by gunsmiths, you hear stories about them every once in a while. They did make .38 Pythons, they are 8 inch barrel target models.
They are the Mercedes of revolvers, with a fit and finish no other gun has. I think they have the sweetest trigger of all revolvers, and due in part to the tapered barrel they are very accurate. The stories about them going out of tune, etc, are just that, stories. Super guns, try one and you will want one. One downside is very few smiths are qualified to work on them; very complicated actions. The best one I have heard of is Grant Cunningham, up outside of Portland, OR. He is so busy he closed his waiting list last November and has yet to open it, by my calculations he is still about 7 months behind.

dfletcher
06-25-2008, 3:52 PM
The only weak point (and it's a bit of a stretch calling it a weak point) is that the hand, being a two tiered type, can tend to wear causing the cylinder to be a bit lazy. But that's a trait shared by all the older Colts. I have a few 1917 types and they're still sound after about 90 years of use.

chickenfried
06-25-2008, 3:59 PM
They're really really really shiny.

bwiese
06-25-2008, 4:13 PM
The blued Pythons have the greatest blueing ever. The "royal" blue has a deep, semi-transparent shine.

The blueing on the blued Colt King Cobras is pretty damned nice too.
I jumped on a used blued KC when I saw one.

308fan
06-25-2008, 4:38 PM
Smoooooth....

MidnightSon117
06-25-2008, 7:08 PM
I got a chance to dry fire a Grizzly (kinda like a Trooper, from what I understand) just last week, and you can really feel the difference between that and the Python. Both in single and double.

I kinda took the trigger for granted on the Python, since it is what I first learned on. Having learned since then what other actions feel like, I really enjoy firing the Python even more.

tonelar
06-25-2008, 7:24 PM
people are attracted to the name
its pretty and people love saying "my python"

Colts best handguns (revolvers AND autos) are IMHO Single Actions.

Schlamoo
06-25-2008, 7:45 PM
The stories about them going out of tune, etc, are just that, stories.

I'll absolutely disagree with that statement. I have had 3 Pythons and 2 of the 3 developed timing problems. One was a 4" and one 6". I will agree they are like a high priced fine tuned auto, but with that in mind I feel they take more care than my K or L frames. Pythons sure are pretty!

fairfaxjim
06-25-2008, 8:29 PM
They are cooler than the other side of the pillow!

locktime
06-25-2008, 8:38 PM
The Grizzly is a King Cobra action with a Python barrel. And an unfluted cylinder.

X-NewYawker
06-25-2008, 8:43 PM
The 1970s Colt Python was as slick and pretty as a custom gun. A six inch Python was my first handgun when I got my first pistol permit back in NY. Because it had to sit at the gunstore for months while the permit process went through, the shop owner thought he'd "do me a favor" and do his own gunsmithing on the action (which he'd offered when I bought it and I refused) and of course, made it into sh*t.
I traded it for a S&W M59 hi-cap 9mm and have missed that snake ever since...

battleship
06-25-2008, 8:47 PM
The Python is by far the most beautiful gun ever made, looks alone should have your mouth watering. this thread has got me all goose pimpely, i shoud go get my Python out from its highbination.

Army
06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
They's jes purty gunzzz!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Messkit/convoyandgun002.jpg

Almost brought this little one home in '05. The cop in the back had no further need for it...
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Messkit/OIF-22004-2005449.jpg

randy
06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
For looking at it's hard to beat a Python and for me a Smith 19.

Hang the Python on the wall and shoot the Smiths.

Smith and Wesson confirmed the Python was king when they came out with the 686.

ivanimal
06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Colt bluing makes me wanna cry it is so beautiful. They are more accurate than the Smiths but the Smiths have better actions. Buy a Smolt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/smolt035-1.jpg

If you can find one.:cool:

SVTNate
06-26-2008, 12:26 AM
I love Pythons for the look, the quality, and the action. I've owned some new S&W wheelguns, and some old ones. The S&W actions are more durable, but not as smooth and nice to shoot IMO.

Only the Python has that famous lockwork. I don't really care about King Cobras or Anacondas, Police Positives, Detective Specials, or anything else. I just like the Pythons. In fact, for a wheelgun to take to the range, it's the only thing I'll own.

drdanno84
06-26-2008, 6:09 AM
The colt pythons are the best revolvers ever made! The custom blued finish, the superior workmanship, the accuracy, well balance, etc. is well worth the investment. I have been collecting these fine firearms for years and continue to do so. I recently sold a "set" of 6", 4" and 2 1/2 " to a fellow cal-gunner who I am sure will appreciate and enjoy these revolvers for years to come. 10712

toadman
06-26-2008, 7:56 AM
Man I'm feeling old or lucky. I bought my 6" Python for $195 new. I remember
thinking at the time maybe I should just get the Trooper for $20 less.

scottj
06-26-2008, 8:17 AM
Okay, I'm sold. I better start saving my pennies...

glockenschpeel
10-21-2008, 8:13 PM
Bigger gun, louder bang, not to mention the feel. Pythons are intense and did I mention big ? Definitely a mans gun ! The dirty, dirty, Harry type !

battleship
10-21-2008, 8:20 PM
Dirty Harry used a much bigger gun - SW 44 magnum model 29-2 makes the python look a bit nancy.

GuyW
10-21-2008, 8:27 PM
I remember an avid target shooter who shot his Python almost exclusively, who told me that a Python when fired under extreme (shooter) conditions (adrenaline, quick, forceful trigger pull) could break a trigger part.

Never looked into it tho....

Moonclip
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Colt bluing makes me wanna cry it is so beautiful. They are more accurate than the Smiths but the Smiths have better actions. Buy a Smolt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/smolt035-1.jpg

If you can find one.:cool:

Turners recently had a Smolt. And a Cougar.

scr83jp
10-22-2008, 8:50 AM
Ok, I was thinking my small collection of semi-auto hand guns is kind of sterile and what I really "need" is a revolver to round out the collection. After looking in some old threads, I keep seeing the Colt Python described like a demi-god. So what is so great about Pythons and the other Colt snake guns? I admit they do look cool, although I'm not sure what it is about them.My GS discouraged me from purchasing a Colt Python because of their habit of shooting out of time time,I mentioned this to a retired GS on another forum
and he told me he lost sleep nights because of all of the problems caused by pythons shooting out of time.My GS told me to buy S&W so I bought a Model 19 357 with 6" barrel .I took the advice of club members and gave my S&W to a member for a tuneup big mistake he ruined all of the case hardened sears,trigger & hammer.Took it to a real GS who had to replace the trigger,hammer & internal parts it's never been back for any problems & is accurate.

redcliff
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
My understanding is that the Pythons have a "double hand" type arrangement that engages the ratchet twice on each d.a. pull; it makes the action not stack as much as a K or L frame Smith, and you can get exceptional d.a. pulls properly tuned. I've owned several Pythons over the last 30 years and never had one go out of time, but it can happen. Fortunately we have a great Colt revolversmith up here in Redding, so I don't lose sleep over shooting them. And has been stated, the Colt Royal Blue is truly a thing of beauty. My personal favorite is the 4" model.

The N frame Smiths can get a superior d.a. pull because of the greater leverage the trigger mechanism has.

kurac
10-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Pythons are nice to look at and fondle. For any serious shooting you will want a S&W. My Python still mis-fires occasionally in DA pull, SA is fine, I have spent a bunch of money on parts and played around with it for many hours, there is no cure and Colts smiths are hard to find.