PDA

View Full Version : CZ dealers in Orange County

craezie
06-25-2008, 9:54 AM
I am a woman buying my first handgun and several people have told me to try out a CZ 75b as it is similar to the other guns I am looking at, all steel and reasonably priced. I am a frequent customer of On Target in Laguna Niguel but they don't have CZs there.

The only dealers listed on the CZ site are Fowler Gun Room and the Stockade in Westminster. Are they available to shoot at either of these places or anywhere else in Orange County? Do any CZ owners have cautions or advice about this gun?

I also have a tangential question. On the California approved list, if they have a certain color listed with a model does this mean that you can only order that gun in that color? Why would they care what colors are sold?

Someguy925
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Welcome to calguns :D

CZ 75b are reliable handguns. I use the single action model, which has worked quite well for me. Fowler is a gun store but they don't have a range. I'm not sure of Stockade. Ade of Ade's Gun Shop is also a huge CZ fan. He usually has a few CZ for sell. Last I saw, he was selling a new CZ75 sp-01.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=87581&highlight=cz75+rental <-- Here is an old thread about cz 75 rentals. Search is your best friend.

FlyingPen
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Check out the CZ P-01, as reliable as a Glock, as good looking and well built as a Sig, and as cheap as an XD.

I'm pretty sure Ade's Gunshop in Orange has something, give them a call. Ade is a big fan of CZs.

1064chubbs
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello and Welcome, I owned a CZ 75B and it was my favorite (Sold it for financial reasons) It really is a great gun. I have average sized hands but the CZ 75B fits perfectly it has great balance and shoots very well. I will be buying one again pretty soon. Also give Ade's Gunshop a try its very small but Ade is extremely freindly and knowledgeable and he has really competitive prices on most all items. And since you shop at On Target you will definately like Ade's prices.;)

Vin496
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I am a woman buying my first handgun and several people have told me to try out a CZ 75b as it is similar to the other guns I am looking at, all steel and reasonably priced. I am a frequent customer of On Target in Laguna Niguel but they don't have CZs there.

The only dealers listed on the CZ site are Fowler Gun Room and the Stockade in Westminster. Are they available to shoot at either of these places or anywhere else in Orange County? Do any CZ owners have cautions or advice about this gun?

I also have a tangential question. On the California approved list, if they have a certain color listed with a model does this mean that you can only order that gun in that color? Why would they care what colors are sold?

Welcome to the forum, good to see more Women getting active here.

Any Turners should have the CZ in stock(http://www.turners.com/turners/stores.html) Any of the indoor ranges should also have one to rent, so you can try it out. Be aware that ranges usually will not rent to a single person, so make sure someone goes with you.

Yes on the California approved list, color does matter. The same gun in blue may be approved where the Stainless Steel version may not. The only reason I can think for this, is that it makes the manufacturer pay for and submit more guns for testing, which then cost them more. Stupid law that makes no sense, but then this is typical of the gun laws here.

What Just Happened?
06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Ade's has about the same size selection of CZ's that The Stockade and Fowler's has. And the nice thing about Ade's? you can walk across the street to Fowler's and comparison shop.

I believe that the OC gun range in Brea has a CZ-75 that you can rent to shoot. Or if you see someone with CZ's at a range, ask to shoot theirs. I know I would let someone try out my SP-01 or P-01.

MFortie
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Turner's is where I bought mine. It is a very accurate pistol and comfortable to shoot. The trigger was a little rough for the first five hundred rounds or so, but smoothed out.

Of course, after that I sent it off to Jim Miossi for an action & trigger job and now it's smooth as butter.

One of my favorite pistols...

Regards,

Mark

What Just Happened?
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Two things to add.

I did buy my P-01 from Turner's as a consignment, so they do have some from time to time.

Second, I almost regret buying mine from a local store. I wish I had ordered one from Angus Hobdell and had him do a trigger job for me and then send it to Ade's. I had a trigger job done by Angus - wonderfully done - but shipping both ways was over $100. But if you are not draw to action shooting, then a trigger job is superfluous for you.

Nemo
06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Welcome to Calguns! I'm a woman with a CZ SP-01 that I enjoy quite a bit--I think you'd like either the 75b or the P-01. Wish I'd ordered mine direct from Angus, too, as I'd like to get a good trigger job and am wincing at shipping costs.

craezie
06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the advice on shops. It sounds like several places carry them that aren't listed on the CZ website. I don't think that a trigger job will matter much for me, as I am very much a beginner. Maybe on my next gun :D

Yes on the California approved list, color does matter. The same gun in blue may be approved where the Stainless Steel version may not. The only reason I can think for this, is that it makes the manufacturer pay for and submit more guns for testing, which then cost them more. Stupid law that makes no sense, but then this is typical of the gun laws here.

So bummed about this. I know this is probably a girl thing, but I have my heart set on stainless. Evidently black is my only option then.

Vin496
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice on shops. It sounds like several places carry them that aren't listed on the CZ website. I don't think that a trigger job will matter much for me, as I am very much a beginner. Maybe on my next gun :D

So bummed about this. I know this is probably a girl thing, but I have my heart set on stainless. Evidently black is my only option then.

You could always have it hard chromed if you want. It's usually less than 200 bucks for chroming( I think this may actually be high). Once you own the gun, you can do pretty much anything you want to it, minus making it full auto of course.

thedonger
06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I got my Sp-01 from Ade's in Orange. Great Shop.

WallySparx
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
If you're willing to venture out a little beyond OC, try Annie's Get Your Gun in Corona, too. They had a number of CZs in stock last I went there, and they're a great mom and pop shop to support.

elsolo
06-25-2008, 11:37 AM
The CZ-75 series is a great shooting gun, I use them for USPSA and steel plate matches, racking up 10's of thousands of rounds a year through mine.

I believe that Brea indoor range has a rental CZ ( Bring a friend or any other firearm otherwise they won't rent to you: an unknown customer coming in alone, due to some suicide issue :confused: ), it's not too hard to find a local stocking dealer when you decide to buy.

There are many variations, I don't like any of the following on my CZ's:
decocker
light rail up front for mounting accessories
alloy frame
compact version

My favorite is the "CZ-75B SA-only" version in 9mm, it has the better beavertail, low-rise ambi safety, extended mag release button, better trigger shape, and better triggerjob capabilities.

These things aren't too hard to do a triggerjob on, and with the $50 hammer Angus sells, it's much easier. They are nearly identical to to the Tangfolio's that were popular in IPSC a long time ago, so finding a competant pistolsmith to smooth it out shouldn't be too difficult.

dasmi
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
You can't go wrong with a 75B.
My favorite is the "CZ-75B SA-only" version in 9mm, it has the better beavertail, low-rise ambi safety, extended mag release button, better trigger shape, and better triggerjob capabilities.
My favorite as well.

What Just Happened?
06-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Yeah, if I were to buy another CZ, a single action model would be next.

elsolo
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I will be also be buying a SA-only 9mm soon, and promptly convert it to DA/SA, swap the sights, add an 85C trigger, and smooth over the action. Strangely it will be for USPSA production division, so the slight frame differences are worth the hassle of going from SA to DA/SA.

tazmanian devil dog
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM

You could send your black CZ to Tussey Custom in Carson City NV and have him do a matte finish hard chrome (looks better than stainless). He has done several guns for me and I've been very happy. His website is: www.tusseycustom.com. Tell him Rob sent ya.

elsolo
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Or take it apart and give all the pieces to Techplate in Anaheim.

I have used them for hardchrome, they have great pricing and turnaround.

BamBam-31
06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Pretty is as pretty does. You'd be better off spending that hard-chroming money on a trigger job, better sights, and maybe some shooting lessons. Just my two cents.

If you want to doll up your CZ, look here: http://www.imageseek.com/hakan//

What Just Happened?
06-25-2008, 4:30 PM
I will be also be buying a SA-only 9mm soon, and promptly convert it to DA/SA, swap the sights, add an 85C trigger, and smooth over the action. Strangely it will be for USPSA production division, so the slight frame differences are worth the hassle of going from SA to DA/SA.

You really want that higher beavertail, huh? Are there any frame differences between the 75b-SA and the SP-01? Other than the obvious full-length dustcover?

Termagant
06-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Craezie- Your best bet for aesthetics and comfort might be to do what Nemo did! She bought her CZ in black, decided it was a little big for her hand out of the box and slimmed it down with "aftermarket" stainless grips. The effect is veeery hot, and (she's gonna kill me for saying this!), incidentally, color coordinates with all her black and charcoal and silver shooting and motorcycle gear...

And it's damned fun to shoot!

What Just Happened?
06-26-2008, 6:38 AM
Craezie- Your best bet for aesthetics and comfort might be to do what Nemo did! She bought her CZ in black, decided it was a little big for her hand out of the box and slimmed it down with "aftermarket" stainless grips.

http://czcustom.com/catalog/images/al_long.jpg
Ghostholster.com (http://czcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=284&osCsid=88f652abe19a89984c0314c5c02a455f)

Whenever I go to shooting events, people notice the grips and ask where I got them. They make the grip noticably slimmer and the gun more pleasant to shoot.

craezie
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah, those grips look pretty hot. Now I just have to convince my husband why I need over $100 grips for a $600 gun. Haha.

I am going to head to Brea to shoot it this weekend (I will call first before I make the long drive from SoCo ) I think if I like it as much as I hope I do then it will be a match!

I've been working hard on the "pretty does" part with shooting classes and practice. OnTarget has an amazing woman instructor and women's classes, and they have been so helpful with making me feel comfortable and showing me how to use all of the guns that I have borrowed. So, I may not be buying my first gun there but I will be a lifelong customer regardless.

What Just Happened?
06-26-2008, 1:05 PM
The grips are $80 for the silver, $85 if you want them in black, blue or red. But they greatly improve the feel of the handgun. What does your husband shoot?

Moonclip
06-26-2008, 2:49 PM
Turners carries CZ as mentioned. I also want a stainless CZ but unfortunately they are unavailable in CA generally.

elsolo
06-26-2008, 3:19 PM
You really want that higher beavertail, huh? Are there any frame differences between the 75b-SA and the SP-01? Other than the obvious full-length dustcover?

Yes. Games like: Steel Challenge, Handgunner, speed stages in IPSC, and other where you practice coming out of the holster a lot because it is much more important than on a 32 rd field course. I end up getting worn through in my hand where the hook-style beavertail nails it if I come in slightly too high. I have reasonably tough hands as I am a mechanic. I ended up grinding and shaping that part on two of my CZ's to be 90% as good as the SA only frame I have. I had to hardchrome them afterwards, both are illegal mods for production division, so if I want that beavertail, it's the SP-01 or the SA-only.

I don't like the extra weight up front with a CZ-75 in 9mm. I have played with enought SP01's as well as experimented with adding full length tungsten guiderods to play with weightup front, and for me the gun handles better without the extra weight up front. I also prefer the low-rise safety on the SA-only.

Nemo
06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Here's the CZ SP-01 with the slim aluma-grips ($80 from Ghostholster.com). It might give you part of the look you want, and they help the gun fit my hand well.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/Nemo_Brinker/Boom/small%20versions/100_1652.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w218/Nemo_Brinker/Boom/small%20versions/100_1653.jpg

DPC
06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I've owned the P-01 and currently own CZ 75 Compact .40 cal which is almost identicle to the P-01. I didn't have a cahance to fire the P-01 but my friend told me his girlfriend loves it and wants one herself. The compact .40 version is much heavier than the P-01 becuase it's made of solid steal, the P-01 's frame I believe is alloy and lighter. Both are an excellent choice and are available at Turner's Outdoorsman.

DPC

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 3:24 PM
A woman who shoots and rides a motorcycle.
I think I was in love for a moment until I saw "Oakland"... :D

ar15barrels
06-28-2008, 3:26 PM
You really want that higher beavertail, huh?

That higher beavertail is worth it, no matter how much it costs. ;)
You ought to shoot my witness.

jmlivingston
06-28-2008, 4:23 PM
OnTarget has an amazing woman instructor and women's classes, and they have been so helpful with making me feel comfortable and showing me how to use all of the guns that I have borrowed.

Not to go off-topic here, but I would love to hear more about these women's classes.

A year or so ago I started looking for a hands-on class to send my wife to but couldn't find any. She has NO experience with firearms, doesn't even really like them, but finally understands that since I've got them in the house she needs a better understanding of them. She agreed to take a hands-on safety class if I could find a women-only one.

John

craezie
06-29-2008, 3:53 PM
The grips are $80 for the silver, $85 if you want them in black, blue or red. But they greatly improve the feel of the handgun. What does your husband shoot?

he doesn't.

craezie
06-29-2008, 4:02 PM
Not to go off-topic here, but I would love to hear more about these women's classes.

A year or so ago I started looking for a hands-on class to send my wife to but couldn't find any. She has NO experience with firearms, doesn't even really like them, but finally understands that since I've got them in the house she needs a better understanding of them. She agreed to take a hands-on safety class if I could find a women-only one.

John

I totally understand. I had no experience either when I showed up at the class and they have made me feel really comfortable. Just call On-Target. The class is a 2 part series for women only and taught by a woman instructor. At the first class we had about 2 hours in the classroom, going over personal safety basics (not just firearm) and then firearm safety basics. Then we did some target shooting for about an hour to familiarize ourselves with guns. Then the second class is just shooting oriented, and you shoot every style of handgun in various calibers. That is a great class to get more familiar with the guns and decide what you want to buy. The thing I love best is that once you are on the women's email list, they email you about different women's shooting events they have. The instructor will also "buddy" shoot with you a couple times of week for free. You just rent the lane and the gun. As far as I know, On-Target has the best atmosphere for women in Orange County. I have gotten a couple of my girlfriends going there as well.

SubSolar
06-30-2008, 12:36 AM
If you want to try it first, OC Indoor Range in Brea has one to rent.

http://www.ocindoorrange.com

What Just Happened?
06-30-2008, 7:13 AM
he doesn't.

What?

craezie
06-30-2008, 10:14 AM
My husband doesn't shoot. I'm not sure that he has ever shot a gun in his life. Is that so unusual? :p

I got into it because of my own interest.