PDA

View Full Version : How to buy from out-of-state private party?

Brooke
06-25-2008, 5:54 AM
I'm in NorCal, seller is in Nevada. Can he just ship to a willing FFL to then transfer to me?

AngelDecoys
06-25-2008, 6:09 AM
I don't believe PPT's are available for out of staters. He would have to have a NV - FFL ship it to your CA - FFL.

To quote FortCourage from another thread.
......... Whether I get a gun from a private individual through the mail or he physically brings it in to the store, it all goes in my A&D book the same way. PPTs are not available to out-of-staters. When I enter the seller's info into the DOJ system, it only accepts a CADL/CAID number.

arocan
06-25-2008, 6:29 AM
Is it on the "approved handgun list"?

Brooke
06-25-2008, 6:34 AM
Is it on the "approved handgun list"?

Yes.

Mikeb
06-25-2008, 7:45 AM
After July 1 won't you have to play "mother may I " with the CADOJ?
Mike

Brooke
06-25-2008, 8:17 AM
I'm afraid to ask . . . What happens July 1?

ojisan
06-25-2008, 8:27 AM
Supreme Court decision on 2nd Amendment rights is to be released tomorrow. Depends on how far they go, but maybe many laws here in PRK will be "shot down". : ) But, it also may take some time for various challenges and interpetations to be made / approved etc. I would not go buy any machine guns yet. Tomorrow morning @ 7:00AM we are supposed to get the decision.
Good luck to all of us!

AraiGuma
06-25-2008, 8:36 AM
I'm afraid to ask . . . What happens July 1?

All out of state dealers have to get approval from CA-DOJ prior to ship firearms.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/cflcoverview.php

Brooke
06-25-2008, 8:37 AM
oops ... AraiGuma answered ^^^^

After July 1 won't you have to play "mother may I " with the CADOJ?

I think Mike had something bad in mind. Mike?

zinfull
06-25-2008, 8:56 AM
If you are buying from a private party just have him ship the pistol over night FedEx to your FFL. Then do the paper work and pick up in ten days. Private party sales do not have to go through the DOJ after July 1st.

Jerry

hill billy
06-25-2008, 9:30 AM
Zinfull is right, the new restrictions do not affect guns coming FROM a private party, only guns coming from another ffl. Have in overnighted or whatever and make sure your ffl will accept guns from a private party and you are good to go.

1064chubbs
06-25-2008, 9:55 AM
If you are buying from a private party just have him ship the pistol over night FedEx to your FFL. Then do the paper work and pick up in ten days. Private party sales do not have to go through the DOJ after July 1st.

Jerry

:iagree: Yeah if the person you are buying the firearm from is not a FFL holder he can just ship the firearm directly to a FFL here in CA (Handguns have to be on approved list and must be shipped overnight). The July 1 law only affects FFL Dealers.

TurboAR
06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
So I am getting a used AK47 gun from a freind in New Mexico. He going to install a Bullet button, remove the mag. and ship it to my FFL for the PPT. It won't shipping it intil Aug.. The new transfer law is for new guns only right? I should be alright doing the PPT with this AK47 made Calif legal right?

hill billy
06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
So I am getting a used AK47 gun from a freind in New Mexico. He going to install a Bullet button, remove the mag. and ship it to my FFL for the PPT. It won't shipping it intil Aug.. The new transfer law is for new guns only right? I should be alright doing the PPT with this AK47 made Calif legal right?

IS your friend an ffl? I assume since you ppt, that he is not.If it's a legal gun and your friend is not an ffl but a private party this transaction is not subject to the new rule.

Josh3239
06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
This new legislation only applies to individuals who hold an FFL, the legislation doesn't apply to people without an FFL!

ke6guj
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM

If it is coming from out of state, it is not a PPT. It is a regular transfer, and the FFL can charge whatever they want.

And the new CFLC transfer law requires permission for any transfer from an FFL to another FFL. New/used does not matter, its the source that matters.

Librarian
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM

Jerry
No, not quite.

Out of state private party sellers do not need the approval-to-ship letter that is required of FFLs beginning July 1.

The transfer must still happen through a California FFL, with all the usual procedures, just as you suggest.

TurboAR
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
If it is coming from out of state, it is not a PPT. It is a regular transfer, and the FFL can charge whatever they want.

And the new CFLC transfer law requires permission for any transfer from an FFL to another FFL. New/used does not matter, its the source that matters.

Well the source being a good friend, He mails it to my local FFL in Norcal, I pay his PPT fees, I have my Cal-legal AK47... am happy:) .

I hope after July 1 , playing "mother may I " with the CADOJ does not push away out of state dealers form doing bussiness with us Calguner? Lots of other guns I want.

ke6guj
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
good for you if your local FFL will do a transfer from an out-of-state party for the $35 PPT fee ($25 DROS + $10 dealer fee), but he is not required to. For instance, Turners charges $125 +DROS for any out-of-state transfer, even a gift from a family member.

duenor
06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
This is the letter I intend to use when dealing with a seller that has a "I will not sell to CA due to July 1st regulations" mentality.

Feel free to cut and paste as you like.

Dear Seller,

It is your gun so I am not going to try to talk you out of your decision. But, I will attempt to give you the correct information, free of internet misinformation. What you choose to do with it is of course up to you.

Attached you will find the specific legislation, as released by the CA DOJ. You can find the link here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/2008-BOF-05.pdf (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/2008-BOF-05.pdf)

First of all, if you are not an FFL holder, or an FFL 03 or FFL 06, you are exempt. Here is the pertinent portion of the text.

“Beginning July 1, 2008, California Penal Code Section 12072(f)(1) prohibits all FFLs from shipping firearms to an FFL in California…”

“I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipping Approval letter before shipping a firearm to California?”
No. The requirement to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval letter only applies to holders of valid FFLs.

If you are an FFL 01 or FFL 07, here is how to transfer according to DOJ guidelines after July 1 (again, private citizens, 06 FFLs and 03 FFLs do not need to register).

To enroll using the CFLC internet application, type the following address into your Internet browser. https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/index.jsp (https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/index.jsp) . This is a one time process.
You will receive a CFLC telephone number, and a CFLC fax number. Either call in or fax in the transfer during business hours (8-5 M-F)
You will receive an Approval Letter from the DOJ.
Make a copy of the letter and include it with the firearm (or firearms, there is no limit on how many you can ship... the Approval Letter covers the entire shipment). Keep a copy for yourself.
That's it.
Good shooting, Ryan
Kevin

kevin(.at.)entreprise.com (kevin@entreprise.com)