PDA

View Full Version : G.I.-Style 1911s - Questions!

deldgeetar
06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I've decided that I need a 45, and I also want to try a 1911 of some kind. I am intrigued by the G.I. style 1911s available. The two I have seen are the Auto Ordnance and the Springfield GI 1911. What other models similar to these are available, and what do you think of these guns? I am NOT looking for a super-precision, hair-trigger piece. Comparable to my G17 in accuracy and as close as possible in reliability is all I ask. Fire away!

leelaw
06-24-2008, 11:36 PM
The Springfield GI is what I recommend, given your requirements.

Personally, I'd go with one with a beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, and better sights.... but that's just my requirements. YMMV

deldgeetar
06-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Personally, I'd go with one with a beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, and better sights.... but that's just my requirements. YMMV

How do the GI sights compare to a G17? I do OK with the stockers on those, but what do I know!:confused:

CHS
06-24-2008, 11:43 PM

For a little bit more money than a USGI Springfield, you can get a Kimber Custom II that comes with all of the above, and shoots amazingly right out of the box.

deldgeetar
06-24-2008, 11:44 PM
For a little bit more money than a USGI Springfield, you can get a Kimber Custom II that comes with all of the above, and shoots amazingly right out of the box.

I'm not looking for those features. I just am looking for a bare bones plain jane 1911.

leelaw
06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
The GI and Mil Spec aights are very plane-jane, thin sights. I don't like them.

I prefer sights more like the Trijicon night sights that Sig uses, or the Meprolites in Kimbers

Army GI
06-25-2008, 6:07 AM
I'm not looking for those features. I just am looking for a bare bones plain jane 1911.

I'd go with the Springfield.

Accuracy: I was surprised. Once I got used to the sights, I was rewarded with incredible accuracy. I have no problem hitting an 8" steel plate at 50 yards.

Factory trigger is pretty heavy. If there were only one mod I would do, it would be to smooth/lighten the trigger. No change in appearance, but will drastically improve your shooting.

goathead
06-25-2008, 7:02 AM
RIA GI good price fires great and its GI love mine:43:

Black Majik
06-25-2008, 7:30 AM
For current production plain jane 1911s, my preference is towards the S80 Colts. Of course that's if price isn't a factor. They priced themselves out of the plain jane market commanding higher prices than even the Kimber Custom II and Springfield Loadeds from what I've seen. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw Ammo Bros asking $999 for a S80 Blued Colt Government. Of course, that's higher than normal.

But, they're great guns. The S80 Firing Pin Block isn't really an issue, just takes longer to assemble the gun.Nice brushed bluings on the slide flats and clean fit and finish. I recently looked at a S80 Commander, the fit was very good for Colt. Tight lockup with a nice slide to frame fit. No rattle when shaken.

Of course, YMMV on whether it's worth the extra cash for the pony and nice bluing. At current prices, I question it too. But I do prefer them over the SA GI or Milspec.

1911whore
06-25-2008, 8:09 AM
i think a springer GI or MIL SPEc is perfect. BUT in a perfect world a clean 70series colt would be the only one youll ever want:) as for the springer it is a solid chioce, i have heard good things about the rock island but you get no resale. the one thing regardless of what one you end up with is....if you want to shoot to the best of your and the guns ability get the trigger worked on. it will amaze you how a seemingly inaccurate pistol becomes much much better once you can feel and predict the trigger break and are exerting much less force and disruption on the piece when actually getting the trigger to break and hammer to fall. the sights, safeties, beavertail........is all opinion., the trigger is fact!

Beelzy
06-25-2008, 8:16 AM
Get a good old fashioned Colt 1991A1. They do a fine job of sending lead
downrange accurately, and can be "tuned" to the owner's preferences
fairly easily without a Smith.

CrippledPidgeon
06-25-2008, 8:57 AM
I bought a Springfield Loaded on sale. The thing shoots NIIIIICE. The SA Mil-spec is a little rougher around the edges, and it doesn't feed hollow points as well, but for the money, it's definitely a good buy.

Capt Jack
06-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with ddiaz about the Rock Island Armory GI. Its reliable, fairly accurate and has outstanding customer service. Oh, did I mention the price? :D

They have the basic GI:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/gunRockIslandGI.jpg

They also have a 4" GI:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/RIA4inchGI.jpg

And a Compact:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/RIACompact.jpg

You can also look into getting a Tactical full size :43: Best value in 1911s with the upgrades.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/RIATacticalgroup.jpg

Read all about 1911s and RIAs right here:
http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

RIA is made in the Philippines by Armscor and has its own sub forum with alot of happy owners. Have fun and prepare to read until your eyes bleed!

Yes, I am looking for one myself, just have to choose which one.

Good Luck!

trashman
06-25-2008, 1:20 PM
I have a High Standard 1911 -- made by Armscor (Rock Island) with a different rollmark. Exception pistol for the money. DD's Ranch has 'em in stock for some absurdly low price.

I actually like the GI peep sights and the spur hammer 'look' -- but all the accoutrements (beavertail, skeletonized trigger, foward slide serrations) do make a difference in the gun's ergonomics.

IMO *everybody* should have a stock GI-style 1911. It really makes you appreciate both the ingeniousness of the original design as well as the usefulness of all the improvements since.

--Neill

ibanezfoo
06-25-2008, 1:48 PM
How do the GI sights compare to a G17? I do OK with the stockers on those, but what do I know!:confused:

I have a MilSpec with 3 dot sights and a G17 with the standard U back and dot front. What do you mean how do they compare? They work exactly the same... Line em' up and squeeze. These are very basic sights. The GI I believe doesn't have dots but otherwise function the same.

-Bryan

hard_drive
06-26-2008, 9:51 AM
Another suggestion is an Auto-Ordinance (Kahr) 1911. They are solid shooters and resemble the WWII era 1911s fairly well. They even have the lanyard loop on the MSH. They are CA ok.

But, for the sake of holding value look into a Colt. The model closest to what you desire is 01991. It is on the DOJ list fortunately. As mentioned above, Ammo Bros. has an overpriced one just under $1k. I see them around $730 on the net.

randy
06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
With your wants buy a Colt.

maxicon
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I like the Springfield Milspec as a good GI style gun. It's got a few useful improvements over the GI, while still maintaining the GI character of the gun.

In particular, it's got much better sights than the GI, and an enlarged ejection port for better reliability. It's not a race gun, but still has a great trigger. I haven't done anything to mine except put some wood grips on it (I think they come on it these days) and de-horn the mag well where it would pinch me sometimes. It's one of my most accurate pistols, and has been very reliable right out of the box.

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/pics/milspec_group_1a.jpg

deldgeetar
06-29-2008, 3:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, do any of these guns feed hollowpoints or is it ball only?

joeyriv
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
My 'Rock will eat anything I feed it. Ball, Hollowpoints, SWC, the assorted #2 pencil....

I'm sure most of them do, especially if they've been throated.

Synergy
06-30-2008, 8:58 PM
My 'Rock will eat anything I feed it. Ball, Hollowpoints, SWC, the assorted #2 pencil....

I'm sure most of them do, especially if they've been throated.

Another vote for the Rock Island (RIA) Mine eats 230 ball, 185 and 200 SWC and HP. I have polished the ramp though. I also shoot it a lot and the GI sights were tough on my eyes. I went with some mil spec Kings Gun Works Tappan sights.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/sights.jpg

Delfunk2015
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I was in the same boat as you, i wanted a dead stock, plane jane, .45 1911. I got the springfield MILSPEC. It has slightly higher sights than the springfield GI and it also has a slightly lowered ejection port compared to the GI. Trouble is that the GIs are everywhere, and the MILSPECS are a little hard to find =/. Im sure the Rock Islands are good too =)

yallknowho
07-01-2008, 6:39 PM
colt series 80 FTW