PDA

View Full Version : I'M BUYING MY FIRST HANDGUN THURSDAY WHERE SHOULD I GO?????

SKULLCRUSHER
06-24-2008, 1:17 PM
Well guys I'm going to buy my first 9mm on Thursday. I'm looking to purchase a Ruger, S&W, or Taurus. Who has the best prices on these in the Bay Area? I was planning on going to a bunch of shops starting in Livermore then Dublin and Castro Valley then working my way down to the South Bay, but then I would end up using a half tank of gas. Im trying to spend $400 to $450 or less including tax, dros, and hsc so $300 to $350 for the gun itself. I'm tired of going to Targetmasters and spending money on renting and paying outrageous prices on ammo when I could have bought one by now. Any suggestions on other handguns im overlooking? Who will give me the best deal? Or which one comes with extras like mags/holsters/case/etc. will be greatly appreciated. I know you guys will help me decide by Thursday so thanks for the input up front.

Interested in buying:
Ruger P89/P95
S&W Sigma
Taurus PT24.7/MILL PRO

BamBam-31
06-24-2008, 4:42 PM
Please, PLEASE look into the CZ 75b variants. Slightly more than your listed price range, but well worth the extra money.

1911su16b870
06-24-2008, 4:54 PM
XD9 is my favorite for first time handgunners.

f-ponce
06-24-2008, 5:10 PM
No on the Sigma. While it is a reliable gun, it has a very heavy trigger. The price is tempting but don't do it. Save you money and get an M&P.

BamBam-31
06-24-2008, 5:36 PM
I guess what we're trying to say is, for about a bill more, you can buy a gun w/ a better reputation than the ones you listed. In the $500 price bracket, Glock, XD, and the M&P are all great choices for polymer 9mm's, and the CZ is a great choice for a steel framed 9mm. While it would be best to actually shoot the guns first, you can at least get a feel for what fits by actually holding one of each in the store before you buy. Ideally, you could meet up at a range w/ someone up in your area to shoot before you buy.

Personally, I don't like the feel of Ruger autos, and I've read too many bad things about the Sigmas. My two cents.

rue
06-24-2008, 5:39 PM
omg GET A GLOCK AND FORGET IT.

Greg-Dawg
06-24-2008, 6:37 PM
BEFORE you do anything...have you shot a gun before?

If not, go take a basic handgun class. You'll save time and money.

thebloodsonthewall
06-24-2008, 9:08 PM
I also suggest you get a Springfield XD9. I bought one on my 21st birthday and I love it. Don't get the Sigma, I have shot one and it was not worth buying to say the least.

railroader
06-24-2008, 9:34 PM
I also think you should probably save a little more money before making your decision. I have a ruger p97 which is my home defense gun because it is so reliable. It runs great but the trigger is very long even in single action. Even though it is very accurate the trigger makes it harder to shoot well. As for the sigma I don't have one but the one I shot had a super heavy trigger that took the fun out of shooting it. I also had a taurus 24/7 pro 45. It was ok but even the single action trigger on it had alot of take up. Now if you save a little more money you will have more choices from which to choose. Czs are great and would be my 1st choice. They have very good ergonomics and they are really accurate. Both xds and glocks are good choices too that won't break the bank. Here's some used glocks with night sights. http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1838356.html Here's a good place for czs. They have 75bs for about$455 shipped I think. http://www.whittakerguns.com/ Mark

david_place_834
06-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Here is a good route to take. Like other s have said if you could up budget to $600 OTD you greatly increase your prospects for a great gun. Even the ones which you have listed will cost you around $500. But if that's your budget, you might consider looking at Calgun's private firearms sales and private transfer $35.

1. Dublin Guns and Knives, Hopyard exit off 580. Has the better prices in the area. Has a good stock of the more popular firearms. Carries Glock (authorized dealer), Sig, Smith M&P, CZ , Beretta, HK. Old fart is not pushy and will give good advice.

2. Castro Valley Gunworks. Expensive and has a smaller sellection.

3. Trader's. Lost FFL, no guns.

3. Irvington Arms in Fremont. Great guys to deal with. Good standing in Calguns. Prices are good. Haven't been there in a while. But you have to check about ready stock on hand.

4. TargetMaster in Milpitas. Has a wide selection of stock on hand. Prices a tad high.

5. Reed's in San Jose. Use to have a great stock. That's about 40 miles from Pleasanton.

Gas is $4.80/gallon so factor in the costs of shopping. I guess you should have a good idea about what you want before you go shopping. If the shop doesn't have the item you want. It might possibly take 3 trips. As for ordering online, most FFL's which I deal with have raised their prices dramatically in the last few years.

I like Dublin Guns and Knives the best because its so close to you. Glock 17 NIB for $550. Tax $45 Dros $35. If you need an HSC $25.

NoobShooter
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Since you're sick of renting, I assume you've played with those three guns enough to feel comfy with them. But here are some more suggestions.

Springfield XD-9
S&W M&P
SigSauger P226 (used)

bug_eyedmonster
06-25-2008, 12:55 AM
I think a budget should not determine what you want to buy (within reason). Since you've set somewhat of a general price range, I'd also look slightly above it or into a used gun that's of higher quality but around your range. For example, if you enjoyed shooting something along the lines of a Sig P226, I would not settle for a Glock or XD, but save up a bit more, find a used one, and sleep happy. Bottom line, buy what you like and will enjoy shooting.

With that said, I'd go to Irvington Arms or see if you can find yourself a deal here on the forums from another member. I've been to many shops around the area, and can honestly say there's only one place I'd go with my money, and that's Irvington Arms.

Jerry

SKULLCRUSHER
06-25-2008, 2:20 AM
Wow, lots of input thanks guys. I think i will still go to multiple shops but bump up the limit to 500 and look into some more used guns that are higher quality. I will be using a friends xd 9mm 1st gen on Thursday and we will see where I stand after that.

goathead
06-25-2008, 8:16 AM
good gun picks, i own all 3 , 24/7 in 9mm then the sigma, than the ruger in that order,

Danield
06-25-2008, 8:18 AM
Why not buy a sig p6 for 299?

goathead
06-25-2008, 8:21 AM

p6/p225 thats nice too:43:

SKULLCRUSHER
06-25-2008, 1:16 PM

Where can i get one around here for 299 non internet ffl transfered???anybody seen any local?

BamBam-31
06-25-2008, 1:40 PM
Try before you buy! The P6's have notoriously horrid DA triggers! I, for one, would not want one as my first 9mm handgun. A used 226 would be way better. Certified Pre-Owned 226's go for about five bills, IIRC.

AxonGap
06-25-2008, 4:11 PM
Try before you buy!

Absolutely!! If you have a range near you where you can rent various models and calibers to shoot, I'd do that before plopping big $$ down on something you may loath!

ViPER395
06-25-2008, 4:15 PM
At least hold as many as you can before you buy.

That's what I did.

Then I bought the one that felt good and fit my hand the best.

bug_eyedmonster
06-25-2008, 4:25 PM

That's what I did.

That's exactly what I did first. The day of my 21st birthday, I went to a gun store, felt damn near every handgun in the case, and bought the best one I thought fit. Too bad it was so expensive, I almost went over the 30 days waiting for another paycheck... ahahhaha

Jerry

NotSoFast
06-25-2008, 5:35 PM
Well guys I'm going to buy my first 9mm on Thursday. I'm looking to purchase a Ruger, S&W, or Taurus. Who has the best prices on these in the Bay Area? I was planning on going to a bunch of shops starting in Livermore then Dublin and Castro Valley then working my way down to the South Bay, but then I would end up using a half tank of gas. Im trying to spend $400 to $450 or less including tax, dros, and hsc so $300 to $350 for the gun itself. I'm tired of going to Targetmasters and spending money on renting and paying outrageous prices on ammo when I could have bought one by now. Any suggestions on other handguns im overlooking? Who will give me the best deal? Or which one comes with extras like mags/holsters/case/etc. will be greatly appreciated. I know you guys will help me decide by Thursday so thanks for the input up front.

Interested in buying:
Ruger P89/P95
S&W Sigma
Taurus PT24.7/MILL PRO

First off, stop at J&R Sports Supply in LIvermore on Old 1st Street and ask them the questions about the guns you're interested in and what might be better. They are friendly, knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong. Plus, their prices seem to be on a par with those in other shops in the area. And, if they don't have it they might even be willing to tell you where you can get it.

Be advised though. They are only open until 3:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. But they are open seven days a week.

NotSoFast
06-25-2008, 5:36 PM

That's what I did.

+1 :D

NotSoFast
06-25-2008, 5:38 PM
I did. And I'll probably never own any other brand. :)

SJgunguy24
06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
DON'T BUY A SIGMA THEY ARE GARBAGE. I have one and the only thing good I have to say about it is "ya it goes bang" I have a Ruger P94 .40 cal,Mac effn' truck and built accordingly. Big and heavy but reliable and will take you to hell and back. I have 3 Glocks Excellent. Only 33 parts (K.I.S.S.) mags are only 20 bucks and if your willing to do it multible calibers on one gun.(build up extra slides 100$ less than a new gun) S&W is giving mags away because nobody sane is gonna drop 50$ for 1 mag...... Irvington arms......THE SHNIZZLE Targetmasters BLOWS GOATS If I want to be talked down to I have a Stepfather for that. Another thing you might wanna try is the FFL thread. Give one of them a call,I got my G26 for 300$ from a FFL those guy's don't have the overhead that a "shop" has...Just a thought.

kap
06-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Buy a Glock 17. You will not be disappointed.

There were guns made before the Glock and they are collectable.
There were guns made after the Glock and they all try to copy it.