PDA

View Full Version : permanently modified handgun magazines?

sb_pete
06-24-2008, 1:22 AM
My apologies if this has been covered before, but I really didn't know how to search for it:confused:

So I am thinking of purchasing a Steyr M9A1, but I can really only find them online from out of state. As such they all have only the hi-cap magazines that come with them. If I were to purchase a handgun from out of state on gunbroker or the like and have it shipped to my ffl, would it be ok to have them ship the mags without the springs and followers (or ship those parts separately) so that I could permanently modify them prior to reassembly to be 10rd max mags similar to the 10/20 and 10/30 mags that are so common to AR's and other semi-auto rifles?

Thanks guys,
-Pete

comandante costello
06-24-2008, 2:09 AM
I can't comment with any authority on the legality of what you're suggesting (although technically I think it would be legal), but good luck on getting an out of state seller to go along with your plan.

When I bought my M40-A1(s) on Gunbroker, I negotiated with the seller to lower the price and ship sans mags, and just ordered some 10 rounders from CDNN.

Shameless plug, I'm trying to trade one of the aforementioned (BNIB) Steyrs in the for sale section, you might want to check it out :D.

Rover1
06-24-2008, 3:41 AM
They seem to have the 10 round M9-A1 Steyr you're looking for.
By the way, that's a nice handgun. Good luck.

http://www.city-arms.com/specials.htm

redcliff
06-24-2008, 7:16 AM
Ok I'll bite, what does "BNIB" stand for? I know NIB is new in box. is BNIB "brand new in box". Is that like a double double dare?

dfletcher
06-24-2008, 7:41 AM
My apologies if this has been covered before, but I really didn't know how to search for it:confused:

So I am thinking of purchasing a Steyr M9A1, but I can really only find them online from out of state. As such they all have only the hi-cap magazines that come with them. If I were to purchase a handgun from out of state on gunbroker or the like and have it shipped to my ffl, would it be ok to have them ship the mags without the springs and followers (or ship those parts separately) so that I could permanently modify them prior to reassembly to be 10rd max mags similar to the 10/20 and 10/30 mags that are so common to AR's and other semi-auto rifles?

Thanks guys,
-Pete

Whenever you deviate from the conditions posted on the sale, you'll of course want to touch base in advance of making your bid/buying. And I can't comment on legality either, but money works. I should think if you offer to pay a few $$$ more for the service you'd get a good response.

My experience buying on line is that nearly all "small time" sellers don't pay attention to CA hi cap bans and some big time sellers aren't so diligent either. I've usually told them to keep the hi cap mags and I'll still pay the full bid price.

comandante costello
06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Ok I'll bite, what does "BNIB" stand for? I know NIB is new in box. is BNIB "brand new in box". Is that like a double double dare?

Either I'm having a crazy case o deja vu, or I've seen you post the exact same comment in another thread.

sb_pete
06-24-2008, 5:26 PM
I have always more or less taken BNIB to be not only new and unused in the original box, but with packaging in great shape and possibly even unopened. Repetition is not necessarily redundance.

Thanks commandante costello, although I am really looking for a 9mm, and won't be doing it for a few weeks at least anyway.

Also thanks rover1, but Cityarms price is too high for me.

Does anyone know if the rules are somehow different for pistol magazines or can I make hi-cap pistol mags into permanently modified 10rd max mags as well?

Thanks all,
-Pete

Rover1
06-24-2008, 5:59 PM
I've been inform prices on the Steyr will be $140 more on new inventory.
Good luck. I loved my M40-A1