PDA

View Full Version : FYI for new Sig owners...Slide Lock Update pg 2

MT1
06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I just bought a couple P226R full stainless models, and they do not lock the slide back on an empty mag. In the past this has been due to a slide lever spring that is too stiff, but in this case I found that the actual slide lever is a bad stamping and the little follower arm that contacts the magazine follower is short by .080" allowing it to slide off to the side and not raise the arm - I confirmed this by swapping the part over from my DAK and now it works flawlessly, while the DAK will not lock the slide back. I will be calling Sig tomorrow to get some new levers.

Also 2 out of the 3 mags only hold 9 rounds - anyone got that one before?

NoobShooter
06-23-2008, 10:46 PM
I have a P229... 9mm...

The slide lock on empty occurred only once on mine. I contributed to the aftermarket magazine I got. The other mags worked fine.

One mag... don't recall if it is the aftermarket, only holds 9... but after some exercising of the mags, they all hold 10 now.

leelaw
06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
The only times a Sig failed to hold the slide rearward after firing the last round for me, is because my high grip on the gun interfered with the operation of the slide catch/release.

ontmark
06-24-2008, 4:43 AM
My P226R 40SW slide did not lock open after the last round with the 10 round mags. Looking at the magazines, 10 round verses 12 round, on the SIG Site when enlarged the picture shows the 12 round mag having a protrusion for the Slide Stop Lever, where the 10 round mag has this area rounded off. Called SIG customer service and they shipped me four followers part number off the 12 round mag for free. Installed them and it works fine, No it didn't change the capacity actually has made it easer to load the last round with speed loader. How have room in mag for 10 and a half rounds.

Satex
06-24-2008, 5:56 AM
Also 2 out of the 3 mags only hold 9 rounds - anyone got that one before?

This is common on Sig's Californiated mags. Leave your mags loaded for a few months, the spring will loosen up, and you will be able to load 10 rounds.

I have a P229... 9mm...

The slide lock on empty occurred only once on mine.

I never had a problem with this. The slide lock works as expected. I can't even recall when/if it failed to lock.

JMB1911
06-24-2008, 6:03 AM
Trim the bottom of your follower a little. That'll solve the 10 round problem. As for the slide not locking back...never had this problem with my 226R Stainless or any of my 220s.

TannerBoyl
06-24-2008, 7:41 AM
Out of my current stable of fourteen SIGs, the only SIG that I've had a problem with it not locking back after the last round is my SIG Pro. The reason for me was that my thumb was riding the slide release. I changed my grip and it ran like a champ.

A while back, I read about a P226 in .40S&W that would not lock back after the last round. If I remember correctly, it was attributed to the slide stop lever. There was some difference in design between one made for 10rd mags and one made for 12rd mags. Unfortunately, I'm getting old and cannot remember more details. My advice would be to call SIG and describe the problem.

As for the magazines, all my new SIG 10rd mags (sans SIG Pro) have been a struggle to get the 10th round in. What I've done is loaded the mags as much as possible, then unload, then reload, then unload and continued until I could fit all 10rds. Eventually, it gets to the point where they're easy to load.

Good luck and congratulations on the Stainless SIG. The stainless models are my absolute favorites!

F4E Phantom
06-24-2008, 7:55 AM
I have a P2022 in 9mm. One mags works okay. The other has the not locking back annoyance. I have only shot it less than 100 rds. I figured that it did this because I did not clean them when they were new and/or still breaking them in. My 10+ year old P226 works every time with Sig and Mec-car mags.

Shane916
06-24-2008, 9:04 AM
This is common on Sig's Californiated mags. Leave your mags loaded for a few months, the spring will loosen up, and you will be able to load 10 rounds.

Unfortunately this doesn't loosen up springs. Loading (compressing) and unloading (decompressing) the magazines wear the spring down.

N_S
06-24-2008, 10:01 AM
The one time I fired a sig this happened a lot, but it was a rental in really bad shape. It even stovepiped twice.

ldivinag
06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
the only time my SIGs failed me was....

beast556
06-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Ive been hearing more bad things about sig lately. There are a few threads on ARFcom with lots of quality controll issues like you have. I have a 10 year old sig 226 and it is flawless. When you spend top dollar you should not have to fix stuff on your gun IMHO.

MT1
06-24-2008, 5:22 PM
Well I called them today, and it was not a quality control problem - not only are the followers in the magazines different for 12rd vs. 10rd, but the slide lock levers are also different just like I measured - they are sending me "California" slide lock levers so that I will not have to put specific followers in the magazines.

NoobShooter
06-24-2008, 9:56 PM
I'm sure the failures on my Sig were due to the mag and me.

Took mine to a defensive tactical training... operates smooth as butter, I almost got 2 bullets through the same hole in an controlled pairs (some might call double tap) exercise!

arocan
06-25-2008, 6:34 AM
That's good to know there's a "CA slide lick", I wasn't aware of that. Awesome info MT1, thanks.

Scorpiusdeus
06-25-2008, 12:39 PM
A while back, I read about a P226 in .40S&W that would not lock back after the last round. If I remember correctly, it was attributed to the slide stop lever. There was some difference in design between one made for 10rd mags and one made for 12rd mags. Unfortunately, I'm getting old and cannot remember more details. My advice would be to call SIG and describe the problem.

This is it mostly likely. I had this issue with my girlfriend's P226ST 9MM. Contacted Sig, the sent out a new Slid stop lever ASAP, installed it, problem fixed.

It seems there is a difference between the CA 10 round mags and the standard mags. We bought hers from a cop in IN and it didn't have the CA slide stop lever.

MT1
07-14-2008, 8:45 PM
Well I have been ignored over on sigforums.com, so I will post this here.

Well I have this same issue on both of my new P226ST's - bought from a dealer in NY and he sent them to me here in CA with 10rd mags - when I first took the guns out to "play" with them, I noticed that the slide did not lock back on an empty mag, the slide lock lever was not moving upwards due to the little arm that contacts the follower being .060" shorter than the arm on my specifically CA/10rd P226DAK. Swapping the slide lock lever from my older DAK fixed the problem. I called Sig and they confirmed that there are two different slide lock levers, one for CA and one for the Free States...designated with an "M" at the end of the part number. A week later I received the replacement lock lever in the mail, but upon opening I found that it's exactly the same as the one that shipped with the guns. Called Sig again to try and figure out if I was shipped the wrong part, or if it was a mis-package and was told that the only difference between the two lock levers is that the "M" lever has a small cutout on the bottom of the contacting arm...not that there is an actual length difference - odd thing is my DAK lever does not have this cutout. I think I explained well enough to the tech that there is a visual and measurable difference in length of the arm - and was basically told that I need to send the guns back to Sig for them to figure this out.

Sorry for the long post, just hoping that someone has run into this before and knows what is going on and can maybe save me having to ship the guns back.

Part I got from sig: 34260120M

Pictures:
Old DAK lever
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6415/sigleveroldog8.jpg

"M" lever
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/642/siglevernewsy3.jpg