PDA

View Full Version : Meopta Meostar R1 1x-4x or Trijicon Accupoint?

FlyingPen
06-23-2008, 8:21 PM
Have some paypal coupons so wanted to use it on a new scope.

I'm currently running a Falcon Menace 1.5-5x illuminated scope which is actually pretty nice.

http://www.falconoptics.com/menace1.5-5x30.php

The 1.5x is a bit disorienting in close range. It is pretty well built though.

I'm trying to decide between an Accupoint and a Meostar ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Meopta-Meostar-R1-1-4x22-Rifle-Scope-4-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ190185106387QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3 1714QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksid Zp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Is the German #4 reticle a K-dot or what? I didn't know these optics even came with different reticles.

These two optics seem to be the best in class for their price short of getting a Nightforce or a S&B. Unfortunately since I don't have anywhere to go check them out in person, I was wondering which is the better optic to get?

On one hand I like that the Trijicon is fiber optic and tritium powered but it's not a true 1x which I didn't like about the Falcon. Are both optics US made?

The rifle is a 16" Colt upper with a CASV system so I have a monolithic type rail which gives a lot of flexibility in mounting.

SuperSet
06-23-2008, 8:54 PM
Only the Trijicon is US made. Meopta is a Czech company.

What's the purpose of your upper? HD, competition, training, plinking?

IMHO, it's a toss-up between the two since the Accupoint fiber optic balances out the KDot's short battery life. The KDot does have true 1X compared to the 1.25X, which isn't as fast.

FlyingPen
06-23-2008, 8:56 PM
Purposes are all of the above, probably plinking, competition...

SuperSet
06-23-2008, 8:59 PM
Cool.
If it helps you to pick, the Accupoint has won more 3-gun competitions than any other optic. But the Meopta is gaining on that market.. quick!

FlyingPen
06-23-2008, 8:59 PM
Is there a specific reason why the accupoint has won more or is it simply from sheer number of users.

SuperSet
06-23-2008, 9:09 PM
I'm sure randy is going to chime in any minute but it certainly helps that it's Taran Butler choice optic. :45:

If you're in San Diego, there's a lot of 3-gunning going on there. I'm certain if you went to one of those matches, you'll see both optics and possibly get some chance to try them both out.

FlyingPen
06-23-2008, 9:13 PM
I plan to go to the next scheduled one as soon as my Benelli is picked up from the FFL.

Prowler
06-23-2008, 9:33 PM
Randy will probably chime in on this one. I bought his Accupoint when he bought his Meopta...the Accupoint has really great illumination, even in broad daylight you can adjust it as bright as you want. I ended up selling in because I didn't like the reticle. That's just my personal opinion about the reticle. It is the scope choice for Taran...

FlyingPen
06-23-2008, 9:49 PM
Ok so what I linked above was the non-illuminated version.

The illuminated version seems to be $200 more. wow

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meopta-Meostar-R1-Rifle-Scope-1-4x22-K-Dot-Illuminated_W0QQitemZ190180106315QQihZ009QQcategor yZ31714QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trk sidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Religious Shooter
06-23-2008, 9:54 PM
Is there a specific reason why the accupoint has won more or is it simply from sheer number of users.

It's won more specifically because Taran and Voight uses it.

Trijicon has a match contingency program where winning or high placement in certain matches gets $$$$.

http://http://trijicon.com/competition/main.cfm

No other scope company has this program.

Taran will win his division 99% of the time no matter what scope he uses. He is just that flat out dominant. But why not get $500 for winning a match instead of getting -$0-? :D

I think the TR21 is a great scope if you are only going to shoot from 0-300 yards. But past 300+ yards IMHO the triangle reticle is a liability. You will have to adjust the elevation or use the Force with 300+ yard targets.

On the other hand the German #4 may solve the problem. But I haven't seen that recticle in person yet.

Prowler
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
It's won more specifically because Taran and Voight uses it.

Trijicon has a match contingency program where winning or high placement in certain matches gets $$$$.

http://http://trijicon.com/competition/main.cfm

No other scope company has this program.

Taran will win his division 99% of the time no matter what scope he uses. He is just that flat out dominant. But why not get $500 for winning a match instead of getting -$0-? :D

I think the TR21 is a great scope if you are only going to shoot from 0-300 yards. But past 300+ yards IMHO the triangle reticle is a liability. You will have to adjust the elevation or use the Force with 300+ yard targets.

On the other hand the German #4 may solve the problem. But I haven't seen that recticle in person yet.

That's the problem that I was having and the reason that I sold it. It's a great scope, however I'm looking for bullet-drop compensators, etc. and different reticle option past 200 yards. It must be because I'm getting old or something, or because I want to see the target. The triangle covers too much of the target at greater distances. Just my .02.

randy
06-24-2008, 1:22 AM
I have both scopes. The Accupoint I am using now is an older model with an orange triange. I like the orange better than the red. I can leave the FO wide open for hoser stuff and it doesn't plume as much as the red for long distance shots. The newer models have a better elevation knob that helps if you want to add some elevation for longer shots.

I had the newer model with the red triangle but sold it to Prowler to get the Meopta.

The "boys" running the Accupoints are adding elevation on longer stages and holding low for the close stuff.

The Meopta K dot reticle is the one people use for 3 gun. As R Shooter said it is better for longer shots than the Accupoint. If you shoot either scope enough you will beable to hit targets beyond 300 yards.

The Meopta is heavier and longer than the Accupoint and does require batteries. Get spare batteries and throw them in your gun bag you'll thank me later.

You are welcome to try both of mine but you will have to come to Piru to do it. For you besides the drive it's the best match in the area. I like to go to Pala but it seems something always gets in the way. The shooters down there are a great group of guys.

FlyingPen
06-24-2008, 1:41 AM
Ok thanks Randy, that true 1x is pretty tempting on the Meopta. There's almost too many optics out there to try to decide what to get.

With the Meopta k-dot being $800, it might just make more sense to save for the Nightforce. Or I guess I could do the smarter thing and get a Weaver 1-3 to solve my 1.5x annoyance and spend the rest of it on gas to get to Pira :P If only it had illumination.

randy
06-24-2008, 2:11 AM
Contact www.randrracingonline.com Last year they were selling the Meopta for $700.00 that's where I got mine. Great guys and great targets. A year or two ago I bought the Accupoint I sold to Prowler for $500.

You can always get one of the JP iron site setups for your hand guard I think they run about $120.00 and run your current scope.

LibertyOptics
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I like the Accupoint, and if the reticle will work for you, it will serve you well. Glass is pretty darn good, and built tough. We ship them for $499

Meopta, is a long story for us. When they are good, they are very good, but when they are bad.....QC just seems spotty in our experience.

Scott

SuperSet
06-24-2008, 1:04 PM
Trijicon is sooo close to making the perfect 3-gun scope, IMHO. I'm not sure of their motivation for the German #4 reticule but having played with it at Shot Show, I thought it was disappointing as all get out. A few simple changes and they'd have it:

1. True 1x
2. Change the reticule to something like the TA01NSN series with illuminated dot.

or Meopta could just dramaticaly improve their battery life and QC issues, leaving Trijicon in the dust.

mecam
06-24-2008, 9:08 PM
I got my Meopta from a reputable seller on Ebay for $650. He even does his own QC with a checklist he sends with your order to make sure eveything is GTG. I even called Meopta in NY to verify the SN# and it's legit. He usually have this model on listing once a month and he sells other Meopta models.

http://www.10374.com/temp/ebaymeopta.jpg

My BABY!!!!!

http://www.10374.com/temp/ar/3gun-01.jpg

http://www.10374.com/temp/ar/3gun-02.jpg

-

Prowler
06-24-2008, 9:26 PM
Contact www.randrracingonline.com Last year they were selling the Meopta for $700.00 that's where I got mine. Great guys and great targets. A year or two ago I bought the Accupoint I sold to Prowler for $500.

You can always get one of the JP iron site setups for your hand guard I think they run about $120.00 and run your current scope.

I just bought the JP Performance SRTS (Short Range Tactical Sight) from another CG. They're about $120 or so. Just make sure you have a pic rail-type mount to mount it to your hand guards. I hade to order one from JP Performance and it was another $40.

Prowler
06-24-2008, 9:28 PM
MECAM...what type of mount is that?

mecam
06-24-2008, 9:33 PM
MECAM...what type of mount is that?

American Defense MFG (http://www.americandefensemfg.com/). Larue's rival. ;)

FlyingPen
06-24-2008, 9:34 PM
Looks like an American Defense mount. Someone did a pretty extensive review on ARCOM. It didn't return to zero as well and left more scope marks than the LaRue.

Prowler
06-24-2008, 9:40 PM
American Defense MFG (http://www.americandefensemfg.com/). Larue's rival. ;)

Did you buy it based on price, compared to the LaRue mount, or another reason? It looks like it's about $25 less, compared to the LaRue version SPRE.

Prowler
06-24-2008, 9:42 PM
Looks like an American Defense mount. Someone did a pretty extensive review on ARCOM. It didn't return to zero as well and left more scope marks than the LaRue.

Thanks. Mine is a LaRue. If they were similar quality, I may have considered it in the future. No offense MECAM ;)

mecam
06-24-2008, 9:51 PM

Both the ADM and Larue returned to ZERO with no issues. As far as leaving markings, the ADM had sharper corners. My remedy to that was simple sanding with a 1000grit sand paper.

Here is the link to the review.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=157964

mecam
06-24-2008, 9:52 PM
Did you buy it based on price, compared to the LaRue mount, or another reason? It looks like it's about $25 less, compared to the LaRue version SPRE.

Just to be different and I don't like how the Larue looks like.

mecam
06-24-2008, 9:54 PM
Thanks. Mine is a LaRue. If they were similar quality, I may have considered it in the future. No offense MECAM ;)

No offense taken. I don't own any shares of ADM. People will always say the best brand they own. ;)

FlyingPen
06-25-2008, 1:26 AM
I don't have either... from reading through the review though, just read the conclusions. Seems like a lot of negatives for a just a few bucks difference and the desire to be "different" but whatever floats your rifle :)

maxicon
06-25-2008, 8:42 AM
ADM has a newer revision out that incorporates some design updates. Any new mount will have some early teething problems (yes, that includes LaRue). The only change I remember off hand is that the tension adjustment screw is now indexed, which takes out a bit of the flexibility.

The folks who are using ADM mounts are happy with them. Aside from the ongoing war between the haters and the koolaid drinkers, they seem like another great choice in the upper end mount realm.

People talk about mounts and return to zero a lot, but there's very little hard data to support most claims. It's a difficult thing to measure without throwing some serious resources at it.

FlyingPen
06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah, Maxicon, I volunteer you to run the tests, I will help you shoot it.

100 yard indoor range, all mechanical rests, 20 rifles of the same caliber, make, and batch of barrels. test for return to zero in 100 removals and installations per rifle, 60 rounds fired per removal and reinstallation.

maxicon
06-25-2008, 1:31 PM
Yeah, Maxicon, I volunteer you to run the tests, I will help you shoot it.

100 yard indoor range, all mechanical rests, 20 rifles of the same caliber, make, and batch of barrels. test for return to zero in 100 removals and installations per rifle, 60 rounds fired per removal and reinstallation.

You forgot the single-batch match ammo, scopes, software, chronographs, and torque wrenches. You can't measure RTZ better than your baseline ammo group size. You'd want multiple samples of each mount, as well - 10 would be reasonable. Plus, 10 round groups in sets of 3, and 10 removals and installations would be statistically pretty solid (though more is always better).

You wouldn't want to remount the scopes for each test, so you'd need dedicated scope/mount combos. If you had any shifting, you'd need to re-run the tests on that mount with a different scope and the original scope in a control rifle/mount to make sure it wasn't the scope shifting instead of the mount.

Alternately, a solid enough bench could give you decent confidence with purely optical checks. Firing ammo really only tests holding zero, not return to zero, and it would help deconvolve the data.

I'll run the tests - I'm good at this kind of thing. Gonna have to get some serious funding, though, both for the equipment and the time required at $150/hour. I'm thinking a grant from the NEA is a strong possibility, but it would take just the right wordsmithing...

chunger
06-25-2008, 6:09 PM
Meopta has worked for me so far w/ Larue, but I'm a newb. .

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/chungsteroonie/Library-1127.jpg

CSTactical
06-26-2008, 7:39 PM
They are both very good scopes I feel the MeOpta is made a little better. They both have daytime visibility, the Accupoint does not need batteries, both are good for about 400yds, the eye relief on the Accupoint is a little longer than I like, and the MeOpta is a true 1x.