PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been hit while wearing body armor?

FlyingPen
06-21-2008, 2:50 AM
I've always kind of wondered what kind of pain or how it would feel to be hit by a round while wearing body armor.

Of course, it's gonna suck hard and hurt like hell but what was it like in the sense of force felt? Was it like getting by a baseball bat or more like a concentrated hit like getting hit by a golf driver. Or maybe it felt more like a very sharp and deep stabbing pain. Were you completely debilitated for a while or could you continue to function.

I have no idea, and if you've been hit let us know what it was like and what caliber you were hit by.

sloguy
06-21-2008, 4:43 AM
what are you considering trying that this info is important?

VegasND
06-21-2008, 7:04 AM
While I'm sure it hurts and I hope to never experience it firsthand, I imagine adrenaline and being pissed can affect how one acts. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMjh_XbkiI

I hope he nialed the b@$7@** !;)

Soldier415
06-21-2008, 8:16 AM
Waiting for the one guy I know that has to see this...

Vin496
06-21-2008, 9:54 AM
I can't remember who, but I know there is one member who has while in Iraq. I believe he took 2-3 hits in the chest.

5150Marcelo
06-21-2008, 9:58 AM
Ive been blasted with a .177 from a Daisy to the back of a leg! Took it like a champ, no body armour. Just steel on skin. Hurt like hell, but I man'd up and kept on keepin on!:D

CHS
06-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Heh, all I have to add is this:

"If Plan A is to take multiple .338 shots to the back, you really need to come up with a Plan B.

cobra198
06-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Woah, that youtube video was intense! Thank god for body armor!

FlyingPen
06-21-2008, 11:11 AM
what are you considering trying that this info is important?

What are you the thought police? :cool2:

While I'm sure it hurts and I hope to never experience it firsthand, I imagine adrenaline and being pissed can affect how one acts. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMjh_XbkiI

I hope he nialed the b@$7@** !;)

So much for Allah.

Sobriquet
06-22-2008, 12:01 AM
Glad to see the guy was smart enough to find cover. Bunch of sickos in this world.

battleship
06-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I got shot in the butt by some gitt with an air rifle when i was 14, i was riding my bike at the time and darn nearly fell off, only wearing jeans.

FMJBT
06-22-2008, 12:31 AM
I would imagine that there would be quite a difference in felt impact between hard and soft body armor. Getting shot by a handgun while wearing Kevlar probably sucks pretty bad. Ceramic composite plates would spread that force out over a large area. Probably wouldn't hurt too bad. Getting shot with a rifle though, just has to suck. Getting nailed by nearly 3000 foot pounds of force is gonna knock you back a bit.

daemonite
06-22-2008, 12:56 AM
it's gonna suck a little bit.

look at the clay behind this kevlar vest testing
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

Rover
06-22-2008, 1:24 AM
New life plan, don't get shot, even in kevlar, don't get shot.

I imagine the pain level varies greatly because of how many variables are involved. Bullet caliber, armor type, distance from shooter, where you actually got hit ect. Looks like the pistol rounds in the test that deamonite posted had the potential to break a rib if they hit you in the right spot. Frome breaking a few ribs here and there mountian biking and riding drit-bikes, I can tell you it doesn't hurt that bad, but the next day you're going to hate your life.

dfletcher
06-22-2008, 4:46 AM
I was nicked by (parts of) an RPG many years ago - maybe those Air Force lifers knew what they were talking about when they kept bugging me to wear my flak jacket. Oh well - live & learn.

BaronW
06-22-2008, 8:50 AM
I was nicked by an RPG many years ago
Oh well - live & learn.

DISCLAIMER: Results not typical. ;)

Moonclip
06-22-2008, 2:01 PM
I met a guy that got hit with a .22lr in the area not protected by the vest!

DedEye
06-22-2008, 8:39 PM
Stormfeather has posted about taking 6 rounds to the chest from an AK before; hopefully he'll have time to chime in if he feels up to talk about that again.

If I recall correctly, he didn't mention how much it hurt, but he did mention crapping himself.

Army
06-23-2008, 12:04 AM
One SF fella I worked with recently, was center punched in the back SAPI plate. He didn't even know it until we pointed out the blast hole in the outer cover after we got back to the house.

Stanze
06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
I read an article in S.W.A.T. magazine a long time ago where the writer wanted to demonstrate that being shot while wearing body armor although hurts like hell you can still remain in the fight. He then shot himself in the in the chest with a 1911, then turned around and took out 6 bowling pins behind him. He lifted his shirt after the demo to reveal a big welt from the .45 ACP impact. The look on his face when being shot was one of pain.

NeoWeird
06-23-2008, 3:36 AM
The story behind that Army guy getting shot is even more amazing. If I remember the details accurately he was an Army Medic attached to a unit that was doing sweeps through buildings thought to have terrorists inside. The part of town they were in was heavily populated with civilians so they were going during the day when most people would be out at market, work, etc. to avoid collateral damage. They went in by HUMMV and stopped just prior to the building they were going into. The medic, who was the man shot, stayed behind to avoid any unnecessary risk but stayed outside the HUMMV ready to go in and was waiting the 'all clear' call, or worse, when he got shot.

The enemy was two men inside a van about a block away, parked on the street (next to a school or hospital or something like that - you know around the innocent, where scumbag low lifes like to hide) and the van had been modified to be a mobile death vehicle. The entire van had been gutted and several mattresses were placed along the interior of the van the muffle noise annd elminate directional noise from the muzzle blast. A hole had been cut out of the front end of the van and passes through portions of the engine into the main compartment of the van so they could fire from the 'safety' of the van without anyone seeing or hearing them - this is why when the medic hits the ground and gets back up he looks about 30 degrees away from them because he was basing where he looked based on where he FELT the bullet come from instead of where he HEARD it come from. The setup was the driver was in the front, would drive to their location, setup filming in the front seat through the windshield and give word to the man in the back, who would then fire and they would drive off. The weapon, if I remember right, was a PSL.

The problem was the Army medic was wearing his dragon skin and the bullet was completely stopped. He hit the ground, popped back up under adrenaline alone (his words from the article I read), and took cover while calling for help. So as the rest of the unit was returning to the HMMV he happens to notice a man down the street in the front seat of a van filming in his direction and acting suspiciously. As the rest of the unit arrives the men in the van take another shot, missing everyone, and the unit and medic open fire on the van. Both men jump out the back and flee for help. They don't get too far though as they are chased down, by following their blood trail, to a nearby building where they are appreheded and given first aid. The even more amazing thing is the medic they shot is the same guy who gave them first aid.

He was awarded a metal if I remember right, but I can't recall what it was off the top of my head. He wans't injured though, so it wasn't the Purple Heart. ;)

One SF fella I worked with recently, was center punched in the back SAPI plate. He didn't even know it until we pointed out the blast hole in the outer cover after we got back to the house.

That's pretty amazing. Was it small caliber or a rifle? Was it adrenaline/shock or was he just that well protected? Either way, life is good to those who are prepared.

duenor
06-23-2008, 9:02 AM
My buddy Jorge got hit 6+1 while in Iraq during his last tour. 3 of those were in rapid succession while trying to get to a downed soldier (he's a medic) and the +1 is the only one that actually got him - and was fired by a negligent marine playing with his rifle. Fortunately that last was a through and through to the left calf.

He had only things to say about it other than it hurt like hell.

One, it is possible to be knocked off your feet - not flying backwards but getting hit is such an impact that force is sent in wierd directions. Since he was running forward during the first impact, when the bullet hit he was spun around a little and all of his stuff went flying. He then picked up the kit and kept scrambling forward to get hit twice in the back. He did manage to get to his guy though.

The other three times were when he was assigned turret duty... said that Haji gets real brave when your back is turned towards then and when you're up in that turret everybody wants to hit you.

sthornwall
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Out of morbid curiosity I have always wondered how bad it would feel to be hit by a .45 acp at 10 yards wearing a vest. Im not crazy enough to try but still I have always wondered. I am sure ribs would be broken and there would be severe bruising, especially with a .357 or .44 mag. Still I have no desire to ever find out first hand.

trinydex
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
The story behind that Army guy getting shot is even more amazing. If I remember the details accurately he was an Army Medic attached to a unit that was doing sweeps through buildings thought to have terrorists inside. The part of town they were in was heavily populated with civilians so they were going during the day when most people would be out at market, work, etc. to avoid collateral damage. They went in by HUMMV and stopped just prior to the building they were going into. The medic, who was the man shot, stayed behind to avoid any unnecessary risk but stayed outside the HUMMV ready to go in and was waiting the 'all clear' call, or worse, when he got shot.

The enemy was two men inside a van about a block away, parked on the street (next to a school or hospital or something like that - you know around the innocent, where scumbag low lifes like to hide) and the van had been modified to be a mobile death vehicle. The entire van had been gutted and several mattresses were placed along the interior of the van the muffle noise annd elminate directional noise from the muzzle blast. A hole had been cut out of the front end of the van and passes through portions of the engine into the main compartment of the van so they could fire from the 'safety' of the van without anyone seeing or hearing them - this is why when the medic hits the ground and gets back up he looks about 30 degrees away from them because he was basing where he looked based on where he FELT the bullet come from instead of where he HEARD it come from. The setup was the driver was in the front, would drive to their location, setup filming in the front seat through the windshield and give word to the man in the back, who would then fire and they would drive off. The weapon, if I remember right, was a PSL.

The problem was the Army medic was wearing his dragon skin and the bullet was completely stopped. He hit the ground, popped back up under adrenaline alone (his words from the article I read), and took cover while calling for help. So as the rest of the unit was returning to the HMMV he happens to notice a man down the street in the front seat of a van filming in his direction and acting suspiciously. As the rest of the unit arrives the men in the van take another shot, missing everyone, and the unit and medic open fire on the van. Both men jump out the back and flee for help. They don't get too far though as they are chased down, by following their blood trail, to a nearby building where they are appreheded and given first aid. The even more amazing thing is the medic they shot is the same guy who gave them first aid.

He was awarded a metal if I remember right, but I can't recall what it was off the top of my head. He wans't injured though, so it wasn't the Purple Heart. ;)

That's pretty amazing. Was it small caliber or a rifle? Was it adrenaline/shock or was he just that well protected? Either way, life is good to those who are prepared.

where did he get the dragon skin? what level was it? doesn't a psl shoot a 7.62x54r?

cc56
06-23-2008, 5:51 PM
NeoWeird where did you read that story? I went to the flight medic course with that medic. He talked a little bit about the whole thing. We looked up the video and he talked us through things. By the way he still wears the 7.62x54R casing around his neck, on his dog tags.

trinydex
06-23-2008, 6:42 PM
wait so the story is accurate right?

NeoWeird
06-23-2008, 7:03 PM
NeoWeird where did you read that story? I went to the flight medic course with that medic. He talked a little bit about the whole thing. We looked up the video and he talked us through things. By the way he still wears the 7.62x54R casing around his neck, on his dog tags.

Saw the video a year or two back, several days after it happened. Couple days later heard from one of the guys in the unit via internet forum while they were still stationed over there. Couple days later he invited the medic to come to the forum and tell his story in his own words. About two months after that they did a news article on him when he was presented with the medal. To be honest I don't remember where all of it was, as I bounce around a LOT (as I am sure most can tell by my sleep patterns and posting habits) but I want to say it was CNN that covered the story and possibly arf or something similar where the medic came in and told his story.

Come to think of it, it may have been Mookie who brought it up after someone posted that video of him on the US Embassy doing his "spray and pray" that so many armchair commandos criticized him for.

BigDogatPlay
06-23-2008, 7:08 PM
I read an article in S.W.A.T. magazine a long time ago where the writer wanted to demonstrate that being shot while wearing body armor although hurts like hell you can still remain in the fight. He then shot himself in the in the chest with a 1911, then turned around and took out 6 bowling pins behind him. He lifted his shirt after the demo to reveal a big welt from the .45 ACP impact. The look on his face when being shot was one of pain.

Rich Davis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaS_2l8nGdg), the honcho at Second Chance, sold his vests in the early days by going from town to town and demoing to the local PDs by letting one go from (typically) a .357 Magnum on himself point blank into the vest. He did it day in and day out for years, although he always stuffed magazines or similar under the vest to dissipate the blunt force.

Probably 20 years or more ago, Chuck Taylor penned an article in SWAT magazine with a bunch where he had people fire into his chest covered with hard armor with a variety of weapons from 1 meter. Taylor said in his article that he felt more force from a .44 Magnum than from a .308.

cc56
06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
The story seemed mostly correct from what he told me. He was manning the radios while his unit was waiting for the Iraqi soldiers to come. They had received fire from a mosque and they were not allowed to search it. The rest of the stuff seemed right. He got up and chased the insurgents with the rest of his unit, and did provide medical care to them. He met the physicist who helped make the body armor. The physicist told him he was surprised that the body armor stopped the round. He attributed it to the fact that it was not a 90 degree shot, there was a little bit of an angle to it. Over all he is a really nice medic and a good one too.

PzKfW
06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
The one guy that I've seen shot with a vest on, the bullet went straight through the vest, through his left chest, and out the back of the vest. It was a .223. He died from that wound. A vest is not a guarantee.

Bruce3
06-23-2008, 11:30 PM
i think there was a post not too long about a guy in Iraq who caught a round to the back of his vest and he said something along the lines of he thought someone hit him with a bat. my room mate was in Iraq and he said his buddy got hit in the thigh while manning the gun on the humvee, it was a clean through and through and that his buddy didn't notice it until the medic pulled him down. so i guess it affects people differently.