PDA

View Full Version : Custom stainless Commander with Bobtail finally finished!

SVTNate
06-20-2008, 3:36 PM
First, the specs.

NIB Colt Commander, stainless, purchased January 2008
Sent to Springfield Custom Shop

1. ED BROWN PARTS
Stainless mag release, custom bevel and bead blast
Stainless firing pin stop, fitted and bead blasted
Stainless beavertail, fitted and bead blasted
Thumb safety, custom bevel, fitted, bead blasted
Slide stop, custom bevel, bead blasted, axle shortened for flush cut to frame
BobTail MSH, fitted, beveled, custom golf ball treatment, bead blasted
Perfection sear
Perfection disconnector

2. TRIGGER
Cylinder and Slide, custom serrated, bevelled, fitted

3. SPRINGFIELD CUSTOM SHOP PARTS
Stainless, bead blasted, smooth face, custom bevelled GI recoil spring plug, custom made for me
Stainless extractor (Brown doesn't make one), fitted and bead blasted
Match barrel bushing, stainless, bead blasted, custom bevel, fitted, 11 degree flush cut barrel crown

4. RELIABILITY
Lowered and flared ejection port
Colt barrel polished, throated
Inspect and fix/replace/fluff and buff 100% of pistol to perfection

5. FRAME AND SLIDE
Ball cuts at front of slide
Carry bevel 100% of gun
Bevel and flare mag well
Tighten and smooth slide to frame fit
Deepen Colt undercut a bit, even it out, all lines straightened
Custom golf ball treatment on front strap

6. SIGHTS
Heine SlantPro all black rear, Tritium front, rear has been Novak cut, front has been dovetailed, sights finished in Black-T and zeroed

7. GRIPS
Stainless, bead blasted hex head screws, Carbon Creations carbon fiber grips

This is CCW perfection. Trigger tuned to crisp 4.5 pounds with minimal reset.

On to the pics, sorry about the quality and amount, I just snapped a few quick ones.

http://homepage.mac.com/nategjesdal/.Pictures/Gun%20Pics/Colt/Colt%20Commander%20%231.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/nategjesdal/.Pictures/Gun%20Pics/Colt/Colt%20Commander%20%232.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/nategjesdal/.Pictures/Gun%20Pics/Colt/Colt%20Commander%20%233.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/nategjesdal/.Pictures/Gun%20Pics/Colt/Colt%20Commander%20%234.jpg

m1match
06-20-2008, 3:42 PM
Very nice! That's one of the nicest customs I've seen in a while!

SFFRONTMAN
06-20-2008, 3:50 PM
Extremely clean, looks great.

tankerman
06-20-2008, 4:07 PM
Looks nice.

Couple of questions. What does the "bobtail" do for the gun? Seems to be getting more common.

Why did you choose to send a new Colt with a box of Ed Brown parts to Springfield for the work?

SVTNate
06-20-2008, 4:34 PM
1. The bobtail reduces the profile of the part of the gun that most contributes to printing during concealed carry. Some people might like the way it looks, or feels. The actual advantage is meant for concealed carry.

2. ... I don't follow. It's no different than sending a Springfield GI with a bunch of 10-8 Performance parts to Stan Chen at Legacy Custom for work. That's how custom 1911's get built.

Black Majik
06-20-2008, 4:51 PM
Damn Nate, that turned out great. Careful, dunno if Dwayne is gonna give that back to you. You might end up with a G22 once you pick it up. :D

Simply elegant.

SVTNate
06-20-2008, 4:55 PM
Richard, the balance on a Commander is perfect. I don't know why I waited so long to get one... I am already planning out another custom Commander in my head, probably grey DLC IonBond with Black-T sights, pins, and maybe barrel bushing, adding French borders and a bevel along the lower part of the slide where it meets the frame, 25LPI with borders top/bottom on frontstrap, matching 25LPI guide rod plug... yes, I need to give Becky a call on Monday :D

Black Majik
06-20-2008, 5:08 PM
Richard, the balance on a Commander is perfect. I don't know why I waited so long to get one... I am already planning out another custom Commander in my head, probably grey DLC IonBond with Black-T sights, pins, and maybe barrel bushing, adding French borders and a bevel along the lower part of the slide where it meets the frame, 25LPI with borders top/bottom on frontstrap, matching 25LPI guide rod plug... yes, I need to give Becky a call on Monday :D

That sounds like quite the setup.

On your commander, did it come from the factory with the stainless ejector and extractor? I see in your parts list you had Springfield fit you a new stainless extractor, was the ejector also stainless too?

One of my peeves are the blued ejector and extractor on stainless guns. It was refreshing to see everything matching.

SVTNate
06-20-2008, 5:17 PM
The factory extractor was finished to look like stainless steel... they did a poor job. To be honest, I haven't field stripped it yet, so I don't remember what the ejector looks like. I had them pin the factory Colt one, not replace it. I can't remember.

The new stainless extractor... I don't know where they got it. I told them that Ed Brown didn't make a stainless Series 80 extractor, that I wanted one, and to find one and fit it. I told them to finish the OEM extractor in Black-T if they couldn't find a stainless extractor, but luckily they found one.

The GI guide rod plug was made for me. Normally, they aren't made in stainless steel. Whether the stainless extractor was made for me, or whether they keep those in stock from somewhere, I don't know.

The SoCal Gunner
06-20-2008, 5:20 PM
How's she shoot?

My Dan Wesson Classic just arrived and I'll be starting DROS this Sunday. While I don't usually mess with my guns until they are a bit older and used, I'm thinking about getting it melonited down the line. Do you happen to know of any significant differences between the ionbond vs. melonite?

JPglee1
06-20-2008, 5:23 PM
Pretty build (for a 1911....said in jest, I kid I kid)

I like the bob job. I like the stippling.

Make mine a Para Ord LDA double stack in 357 SIG or .38 Super and we're on the same page.... VERY pretty gun.

Good job. Now go blow 1000rds thru it to break it in before you carry it. Or at the least 250-300rds with the exact ammo you plan to carry.

CONGRATULATIONS MY BROTHA!!!

JP

sammy
06-20-2008, 6:16 PM
Very nice setup. Must have cost a fortune. I currently have my Kimber and Wilson CQB out for custom work now. The Wilson is going to take 2 months, the Kimber 7 months. :( How long did it take them to give your baby back?

Saigon1965
06-20-2008, 6:31 PM
Awesome, puts my DWBob to shame.

Exiledviking
06-20-2008, 6:51 PM
SVTNate, that is very nice.

Makes me want to get my CCC.

SVTNate
06-21-2008, 1:14 AM
Thanks guys!

Sammy, it was roughly 6 months. The backlog on the Black-T finish is currently about 6 weeks, so that really adds some time. I could have left the sights in their basic Heine parked finish, but it wouldn't be complete IMO. I am mad at myself for not getting the mag baseplates done also, so I'm going to send them off after I pick up a couple spare baseplates to use for the time being.

Also, the golfball treatment takes time, as it's not something they do every day. I think it looks good, and it offers an aggressive grip.

As far as shooting it, I haven't done that yet since getting it back yesterday, but I plan to put 100-200 through it tomorrow and probably 100 rounds of my carry ammo through it next week (Ranger 230gr.)

leelaw
06-21-2008, 2:34 AM
Wow, that is a nice looking 1911.

It's very clean, very precise.

I like it :D

proraptor
06-21-2008, 9:40 AM
1. The bobtail reduces the profile of the part of the gun that most contributes to printing during concealed carry. Some people might like the way it looks, or feels. The actual advantage is meant for concealed carry.

2. ... I don't follow. It's no different than sending a Springfield GI with a bunch of 10-8 Performance parts to Stan Chen at Legacy Custom for work. That's how custom 1911's get built.

I also find the bobtail makes the gun very comfortable to hold/shoot

cobra198
06-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Wow, that is one of the sweetest builds i have seen in a while. Awesome job!

slowfire
06-21-2008, 9:24 PM
Was the pistol already broken in when you sent it off for the customizing? Or was it new and you planned to break it in once you got it back? Will you OWB or IWB?

SVTNate
06-22-2008, 3:07 AM
"break in" is for broken guns. I shot it before sending it out, yes, and it was 100% right out of the box like any other 1911 I've ever owned :)

I hate IWB. I tried it first with my Colt Defender, then the smallest gun I own, a Kahr PM9. I only carry OWB (or pocket), and I only use Kramer black horsehide holsters. I've already got one for the Commander, ready to go.

ar15barrels
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
The ball mill cuts on the front of the slide really change the look of the gun.

SVTNate
06-23-2008, 2:59 AM
Randall, is that your nice way of saying you hate it? :D

I have wanted one with ball cuts for quite some time. I really like the look, and I think my next Commander will also have ball cuts.

I have three other 1911's right now without ball cuts, although if I decide to keep my Les Baer, I may very well send it in for ball cuts because I also want to change the sights, round the butt, and do a couple other very minor things.

ar15barrels
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Randall, is that your nice way of saying you hate it? :D

I like the ball cuts very much.
The bobbed mainspring housing does not appeal to me, but then I don't have a carry permit.
The rest of the gun is awesome.

SVTNate
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't get the bobtail MSH on anything but a carry gun.

redcliff
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Very nice looking pistol, however I have to ask: How comfortable are the golf ball dimple surfaces? Cause they look like a meat tenderizer I have in my kitchen drawer :P

SVTNate
06-23-2008, 1:00 PM
Actually, they're much less aggressive than they look.

The SoCal Gunner
06-23-2008, 2:19 PM
Actually, they're much less aggressive than they look.

They do look pretty aggressive and I like the looks but my hands might say otherwise. The straight serrations on my Gold Cup already give me trouble.