PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Glock 21SF

jerryballs
06-20-2008, 8:30 AM
Its a really nice "plastic" gun....but accuracy isn't as good as i hoped. My 1911 can put down 1 1/2" groups at 15 yds and the 21sf is 3-4" at best....will this get better after break in? or is this a matter of getting use to the gun? Having considerably longer trigger pull could have been part of the accuracy difference...just wanted to get other shooters feedback.

Also my SWC didn't want to load in this gun...do you guys only run round nose or JHP?

Thanks

CSDGuy
06-20-2008, 9:43 AM
I don't have a G21 or a G21SF... I have no idea how well those take SWC's. Given that you're going from a 1911 to a GLOCK, I would imagine that the larger groups is more you than the gun. Stick to the basics. Watch the front sight and apply pressure (it's probably going to be more than your 1911) until it discharges. Once the pistol has discharged, release the trigger only until you hear/feel a click. The sear has reset and then the amount of trigger movement isn't that much. It will never be as crisp as a good SA gun can be.

Don't despair! I had similar issues when I first started shooting my G23.

hill billy
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I love my 21 sf. Last I heard no Glock runs swc or wc very well.

1lostinspace
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
you have to get used to the trigger stick your whole finger in

Black Majik
06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
you have to get used to the trigger stick your whole finger in

I respectfully disagree, the first pad of the trigger finger is all that's needed to accurately shoot a pistol. Using the first joint or any further of your trigger finger induces too much variance to shooting accurately.

Jerryballs,
Great thing about Glocks are how easy they are to modify. The trigger characteristics are also very user friendly. As very blasphemous to say, it's similar to a 1911 trigger in the sense that the slack is very short, and the trigger reset is short too. Of course, everything else is different. Trigger crispness will have to be found using a variety of parts available, but it can be attained. For a few bucks, a nice 3.5# connector and competition springs (plunger, striker, and trigger spring) can dramatically lighten the Glock trigger. It has certainly helped my accuracy on the Glock platform. A slight bevel on the plunger edges can also help smooth out the trigger. Of course, some metal polish such as flitz or simichrome, and polish those contact points. It'll help smooth out the trigger also.

Good luck.

NotSoFast
06-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I have a G17 and it loads JHP just fine.

There is a post on the Glocktalk forum about a 25 cent trigger job. All it is polishing a few places in the trigger group to smooth out the action. I'm about to do that myself.

BamBam-31
06-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Unless it's damaged somehow, a G21sf should have more inherent accuracy than 3-4" at 15 yds. I'm assuming you're shooting these groups off a rest, correct?

Every time I get a new Glock, I ALWAYS change out the sights to Heinies or a Dawson/Heinie combo, install a triggerkit.com drop in trigger kit (relatively crisp 2# pull), and a backstrap plug (I hate that opening). Oh, and generous amounts of skateboard tape / Tru-grip are a must as well.

The Glock trigger does take a little getting used to (sounds like it's your first Glock, maybe even your first polymer gun). The ergos aren't for everyone. Those that like 'em, however, LOVE 'em. Like me. :)

(My 21sf is in queue, btw. Damn CA one handgun per month regs! :mad:)

ETA: Here's the link to the $0.25 trigger job, btw. Great disassembly instructions as well. http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

jerryballs
06-20-2008, 2:26 PM
I respectfully disagree, the first pad of the trigger finger is all that's needed to accurately shoot a pistol. Using the first joint or any further of your trigger finger induces too much variance to shooting accurately.

Jerryballs,
Great thing about Glocks are how easy they are to modify. The trigger characteristics are also very user friendly. As very blasphemous to say, it's similar to a 1911 trigger in the sense that the slack is very short, and the trigger reset is short too. Of course, everything else is different. Trigger crispness will have to be found using a variety of parts available, but it can be attained. For a few bucks, a nice 3.5# connector and competition springs (plunger, striker, and trigger spring) can dramatically lighten the Glock trigger. It has certainly helped my accuracy on the Glock platform. A slight bevel on the plunger edges can also help smooth out the trigger. Of course, some metal polish such as flitz or simichrome, and polish those contact points. It'll help smooth out the trigger also.

Good luck.

Thats great info...I will try those things and practice....double action vs single action is weird...but I adapted easily to my xd40...maybe I have been shooting my baer too much! :D

jerryballs
06-20-2008, 2:29 PM
Unless it's damaged somehow, a G21sf should have more inherent accuracy than 3-4" at 15 yds. I'm assuming you're shooting these groups off a rest, correct?

Shots were fired from a non-rested postion...Thanks for the trigger link

1lostinspace
06-20-2008, 2:32 PM

Jerryballs,

Good luck.

It works for me I shoot very very tight groups with mine;)

Black Majik
06-20-2008, 3:44 PM
Thats great info...I will try those things and practice....double action vs single action is weird...but I adapted easily to my xd40...maybe I have been shooting my baer too much! :D

Glad I could help. The part that is great is that even with it being technically a double action since the striker is only partially cocked, it's trigger length of travel doesn't feel very long. Hence, the short slack (or takeup) in the trigger prior to breaking. Once that trigger is lightened, it really feels like a single action trigger without a safety.

But, I agree. I've been shooting my Baers too much too! :D