PDA

View Full Version : Kimber, broken ejector?

elenius
06-20-2008, 7:54 AM
A while ago, I noticed that the ejector looked shorter than I seem to remember it being before. Also, when I hand cycle the gun with rounds in it, it sometimes jams. It never jams while shooting.

Is the Kimber (Custom II) supposed to have an extended ejector? I looked on some pics online, and mine is definitely not as long as an extended.

The face of the ejector looks pretty smooth, but it could have been hammered down to smoothness from usage, since each round hits it on its way out.

Is this one of the dreaded MIM parts?

Sorry for the crappy pics.

This shows the jam I get sometimes. The front of the round is stuck on the front of the ejection port.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/elenius/SFvRFvu3KNI/AAAAAAAABvk/2T1NQiyDp3w/img_0787.jpg?imgmax=576

And these two show what the ejector looks like.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/elenius/SFvRGMGV_VI/AAAAAAAABvs/6hZ4rcoexLU/img_0799.jpg?imgmax=720
http://lh6.ggpht.com/elenius/SFvRGRDtqhI/AAAAAAAABv0/l4lK2HZof1w/img_0800.jpg?imgmax=720

randy
06-20-2008, 8:13 AM
Buy a new ejector and replace it. No big deal.

Franksremote
06-20-2008, 8:36 AM
Buy and tune an Ed Brown or EGW one and never worry again ;)

Kruzr
06-20-2008, 8:44 AM
Looks just fine. It is an extended ejector. Some extend more than others. A non extended one won't have any little nub sticking out. Yours looks exactly like my two Kimbers.

When was the last time you cleaned out the extractor channel or checked the extractor tension?

If you decide to replace it, keep in mind that some (like a Brown) might very well have to be thinned to fit the slide.

elenius
06-20-2008, 8:51 AM
Looks just fine. It is an extended ejector. Some extend more than others. A non extended one won't have any little nub sticking out. Yours looks exactly like my two Kimbers.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

When was the last time you cleaned out the extractor channel or checked the extractor tension?

Not too long ago... maybe 1000 rounds ago. It does tend to get dirty though.

Could it be that I have too much extractor tension? I don't think I have too little. I've tuned it so that it can hold a round without dropping it, but maybe I overdid it...

The reason this bothers me right now is that I had a round not go off at the last uspsa match I shot with it (probably a high primer, my bad). I had to clear it, but when I hand cycled it, it got jammed like in the picture. Screwed up my stage completely :rolleyes:

Kruzr
06-20-2008, 8:58 AM
It looks like the extractor is "holding" on to the round too tight and it isn't "tiddly winking" out (highly technical term) when it hits the ejector. It should turn as it hits so it doesn't contact the front of the port.

If you check the tension with a shake test, them make sure the round wobbles a bit but doesn't fall. You don't want it flat against the breech. You can also add a slight radius to the bottom of the extractor hook.

elenius
06-20-2008, 9:00 AM
It looks like the extractor is "holding" on to the round too tight and it isn't "tiddly winking" out (highly technical term) when it hits the ejector. It should turn as it hits so it doesn't contact the front of the port.

If you check the tension with a shake test, them make sure the round wobbles a bit but doesn't fall. You don't want it flat against the breech. You can also add a slight radius to the bottom of the extractor hook.

Thanks, I'll try that.