PDA

View Full Version : ANYBODY KNOWS?

jltapia
06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi and thank you for reading my thread.

I just want to know if it is true that 30-round magazines for AR-15's are legal to own as long as they are not marked with the date they were manufactured. I have some magazines I baught back in 1997 when I was in the military service, and I want to know if I can legally have them here in California.

Any info and/or comments about this topic will greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

5150Marcelo
06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi and thank you for reading my thread.

I just want to know if it is true that 30-round magazines for AR-15's are legal to own as long as they are not marked with the date they were manufactured.

Going just on this... YES, theyre illegal.

I have some magazines I baught back in 1997 when I was in the military service, and I want to know if I can legally have them here in California.

Going on this, YES, these would be legal.

Any info and/or comments about this topic will greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you obtained hi cap *11+ round capacity* BEFORE 1-1-2000, you would be legal. You CAN still get mag repair kits after this date to REPAIR old hi cap mags, but to reconstruct repair kits to MAKE new magz is a FOUL! *and ILLEGAL*

In the future, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use the search button. I see your new here, you can find ALL kinds of info on this topic buy :xeno:
Welcome to CGNs!

redcliff
06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
First, you need to read this section please: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Short version is that you may only posess AR-15 hi-capacity magazines which you owned in California prior to 1/1/2000 and may only use them in a registerred AW or a "featureless build" rifles with a MMG or U15.

Probaby would of been better to post this in the rifle section or 2nd amendment/legal section :)

tazmanian devil dog
06-19-2008, 11:02 PM
I hope one day I'll wake up from this horrible nightmare that is Kalifornia. Having to even have this discussion in an alleged free country is just plain sad.

jltapia
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
First, you need to read this section please: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

Short version is that you may only posess AR-15 hi-capacity magazines which you owned in California prior to 1/1/2000 and may only use them in a registerred AW or a "featureless build" rifles with a MMG or U15.

Probaby would of been better to post this in the rifle section or 2nd amendment/legal section :)

So basicly, I can't use my 30-round magazines (which I obtained in 1997) in my Double star AR-15?

redcliff
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
This will explain the process better than I could ever hope to :) http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Yes, you could use them if you installed a Monsterman grip or U15 stock first and no evil features like collapsible stock, flash hider, vertical forgrip etc.

If your rifle has any of those features split the upper from the lower till you legally configure it. See the chart than ask more questions if needed :)

Eric_Oh
06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
I hope one day I'll wake up from this horrible nightmare that is Kalifornia. Having to even have this discussion in an alleged free country is just plain sad.

+1. I love living in LA. I love the urban atmosphere. I love having a million places to eat. I love the fact that it only takes half an hour to get to the beach, if that. And i love that i can wear shorts in december.

However, when i think about all the ridiculous laws we have here, it dissappoints me. The only people that are affected and restricted by these silly laws are those people like us that won't ever be causing the kind of gun violence that the bureacrats intended these laws to stop in the first place.

Why tell me, the honest, law abiding, tax paying, jury duty serving, registered voter that i can only have magazines of 10 or less round capacity when the guys who would do wrong with guns are buying full auto ak's and AR's out of a guys trunk with full cap mags. How does telling the law abiding registered gun owner that he shouldn't have these mags prevent illegal purchasing and ownership by the non-law abiding? Does this sound silly to anybody else?

redcliff
06-19-2008, 11:41 PM
+1. I love living in LA. I love the urban atmosphere. I love having a million places to eat. I love the fact that it only takes half an hour to get to the beach, if that. And i love that i can wear shorts in december.

However, when i think about all the ridiculous laws we have here, it dissappoints me. The only people that are affected and restricted by these silly laws are those people like us that won't ever be causing the kind of gun violence that the bureacrats intended these laws to stop in the first place.

Why tell me, the honest, law abiding, tax paying, jury duty serving, registered voter that i can only have magazines of 10 or less round capacity when the guys who would do wrong with guns are buying full auto ak's and AR's out of a guys trunk with full cap mags. How does telling the law abiding registered gun owner that he shouldn't have these mags prevent illegal purchasing and ownership by the non-law abiding? Does this sound silly to anybody else?

I totally agree with you. Criminals don't follow the law, or they wouldn't be criminal's in the first place.