PDA

View Full Version : Unwise to have DAO and DA/SA?

Brooke
06-19-2008, 5:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to change out my HD .45 for a DAO. Reason is safety. I don't like to leave a round in the chamber, but don't like the SA mode after I rack one in.

Do you have a hard time going back and forth - DAO to DA/SA? Any other reasons to reconsider my move?

HowardW56
06-19-2008, 6:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to change out my HD .45 for a DAO. Reason is safety. I don't like to leave a round in the chamber, but don't like the SA mode after I rack one in.

Do you have a hard time going back and forth - DAO to DA/SA? Any other reasons to reconsider my move?

Rent one before you trade. I have both 1911's and Sig DA/SA pistols and S&W revolvers, I don't have any trouble with shooting any of them...

For HD, I have revolvers or Sig pistol, personally I don't want that light a trigger if I am awakened. But when fully awake, it's hard to beat a 1911....

Sorry, if I made this more confusing for you...

tonelar
06-19-2008, 6:57 PM
If your HD45 is a SA what you said makes some sense

Your title leads me to believe you have a DA (I typed DA where most of you waste letters with DASA or SADA)
If thats true, why not rack it and lower the hammer? If your HD gun is a 1911, cocked and locked is a very safe mode.

I have SA revolvers and autos and DA revolvers and autos. I own NO DAO autos. I have Zero problem using any of them for Personal or Home defense. However; SIG 220 or 226 serve nightstand duty more often than anything else.

bohoki
06-19-2008, 7:42 PM
i'm ignorant of your pistol but if it has a decocker i wouldn't be freakin out

Brooke
06-19-2008, 7:49 PM
I have a Sig 220 (DA/SA, decocker). Love the decocker. Not freakin' out (yet?), but was thinking the DAK might make sense coming out of a deep sleep. I'll see if I can shoot one next time in Vacaville or Bullseye.

redcliff
06-19-2008, 7:58 PM
If you decock your bedside gun so its on it's DA trigger pull for the first shot, what is your concern? If you're gonna have a negligent discharge it will most certainly be on the first shot, which is the same whether you're using a DA or DAO.

Personally I use single action auto's cocked and locked in a thumb break and have never had a problem while investigating strange noises at night (I live in the country). However I've been shooting handguns a long time and don't put my finger on the trigger unless I intend to destroy something.

Brooke
06-19-2008, 8:00 PM
If you decock your bedside gun so its on it's DA trigger pull for the first shot, what is your concern?

I guess I'm thinking that I might want to have to rack it. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I've never woken to the panic of a break-in ...

Salty
06-19-2008, 8:38 PM
My personal experience with a Beretta M9/92FS (DA/SA with a decocker / safety) is that during slow fire the first DA shot fits right in with the rest of the group, and during rapid fire the first shot is 1-3" low (7-15 yards). So in short, at the range it makes no difference, and in a defensive situation (especially in the confines of a small home) it's good enough.

I figure if I'm shooting at someone in a defensive situation who is far enough away to where the first DA shot matters, something is seriously wrong and I should have brought a rifle.

tonelar
06-19-2008, 8:49 PM
?so if you rack it, you are ready to go/ practice racking and hitting the decocker/ are you worried about the gun just going off by itself? Ya know that's an urban myth, right?

How long have you had a HD gun for? I've had em around for going on my 4th decade. 1911s SIGs even Glocks often chambered sometimes with no round in the chamber, in all that time 0 non intentional discharges.

All that said, if you decide on a DAK or DAO, I'll help you out and buy that 220 from you. As long as its made in Germany.

paul0660
06-19-2008, 9:21 PM
Pull trigger, bullet goes. I only have DA and revolvers, all in holsters that cover the trigger, and trigger guards are actually FINGER guards.

Brooke
06-19-2008, 9:32 PM
I'm probably guilty of thinking too much - and looking for an excuse to buy/trade? :) Had a 9mm 1911 (chambered, hammer down) in the chest for a few years with no worries ...

tiko
06-19-2008, 9:34 PM
I got Sig 220R as my HD, chambered, hammer down.

Franksremote
06-19-2008, 9:51 PM
BIG difference in repetitive trigger pull between DAO/DAK and DA/SA. Definately rent/borrow one and shoot it a bit before deciding. Sig's aren't known for "hair" triggers to begin with.

randy
06-20-2008, 1:54 AM
Brooke three things. 1st I'm going to sound like a jerk, 2nd you need more training and practice. 3rd you sound like you don't have enough confidense yet to worry about a bed side gun. There's nothing wrong with that just get more training.

Changing equipment isn't a bad deal but you are compensating for lack of training.

If I shot a wheel gun all the time I wouldn't have a 1911 at the bed side I'd have a revolver. Go with what you know. Training.

If you don't get more training or practice buy a revolver for your night stand gun. Nice long trigger pull, reliable, you won't have to rack it.

Waingro
06-20-2008, 4:48 AM
Get a shotgun:)

But if you want a handgun what I was told is by the time you hear a bump in the night do you want your disorinated butt out and around holding a pistol? I would rather give it a few seconds, let me eyes adjust, and such and then put in a loaded mag and rack the slide.

Sadly we are not James Bond - we can't sleep with a gun under our pillow and the first bump in the night we are 100%, at most withing a minute most of us will be around 50% and that's assuming we don't have to reach for our glasses and contact lenses too.

Personally: Glock 19, unloaded, loaded 10 round mag next to it, in GunVault safe. The little safe could be opened in less then 5 seconds and the gun could be in ready to shoot condition in under 5 seconds as well. It takes me around 60 seconds to put in my contacts. and 1 second to put on my glasses.

So I think as long as you have a loaded mag next to your pistol your prepared for most things while sleeping. As for being awake you'd make pretty good time as well. Unless you deaf.

daemonite
06-20-2008, 5:03 AM
You could train yourself.

Have someone set your alarm clock randomly.
Goto sleep.
When awoken by clock.
Grab gun (unloaded, mag filled with snap caps)

Repeat in different modes, but ALWAYS make sure you're using snap caps.

Find out what you are best at when quickly awoken from sleep.

Thats only if you are extra paranoid and cautious. Practice practice practice.

Brooke
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Lots of good points here, and I'm considering them all.

Am I to understand that the consensus opinion is that police departments' move to DAO is un-necessary?

Another part of the original post asked about going back and forth from DA to DAO. Do many people do that - have (and really shoot) each?

rkt88edmo
06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't like to leave a round in the chamber, but don't like the SA mode after I rack one in.

Either buy something you are comfortable with or train until you are comfortable with what you have. :)

Don't leave a DA/SA gun in SA mode, most aren't designed to be carried this way safely. Since you have a decocker I would keep the gun loaded (with round in chamber) and decocked to DA.

If you aren't comfortable with a round in the chamber why is that?

daemonite
06-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Either buy something you are comfortable with or train until you are comfortable with what you have. :)

Don't leave a DA/SA gun in SA mode, most aren't designed to be carried this way safely. Since you have a decocker I would keep the gun loaded (with round in chamber) and decocked to DA.

My CZ SP-01 is DA/SA and can be carried to be either way.

I can leave it hammer down for DA or cocked and locked in SA with flipped on

Brooke
06-20-2008, 1:04 PM

Not really uncomfortable that way. I used my 1911 that way as well as, obviously, the revolver.

Just thinking about adding a step to avoid an accident. I'm over it ... :rolleyes: