PDA

View Full Version : Utah CCW class w/ Greg Block (EDIT, denied fingerprints at Culver City Police!!!)

cineski
06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
At the recommendation of Bonecutter, I signed up for the Utah CCW class taught by Greg Block of firearmstraining.com. I took it tonight in the city of Orange. I see all kinds of group buys in the bay area, but in Metro LA, the Utah CCW class seemed a little out of reach (yes, there's teachers in the area, but it helps to hear some chatter first). Thought I was going to have to drive all the way to Palm Springs to take it. Anyway, drove to Orange tonight and took the class w/ Greg and I highly recommend anyone on this board in the LA Metro area to contact Greg for this class. Not only is he a nice guy, his "crew" is as well. In retrospect, I feel I overprepared a bit, but the class proved very accessible to everyone.

www.firearmstraining.com

randy
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I've known Greg for many years he is a good guy and his classes are entertaining and informative.

mdhpper
06-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Greg is the man :coolgleamA:

Mad Geek
06-19-2008, 5:56 AM
+1 for Greg Block and FirearmsTraining.com (http://www.firearmstraining.com) :hurray:

If anyone is interested in CCW in California, CalCCW.com (http://www.calccw.com) is a great place to interact with members from all over the state, even though not all members live in counties where CC licences are available. It's just a forum with great folks with a common interest willing to share what they know and learn from each other.

Jeff.
06-19-2008, 7:46 AM
I'm kinda new to the forum, but not to guns. I live in Sac County so CCW is next to impossible. I have seen one or two mentions of this Utah CCW stuff. I have sent a PM or two out to a few people regarding it, but would like to ask the simple question here.

What is the benefit of a Utah CCW in CA? Is it that you guys that are getting them are in Utah or one of the transfer states often? Please enlighten me.

RomanDad
06-19-2008, 8:19 AM
I'm kinda new to the forum, but not to guns. I live in Sac County so CCW is next to impossible. I have seen one or two mentions of this Utah CCW stuff. I have sent a PM or two out to a few people regarding it, but would like to ask the simple question here.

What is the benefit of a Utah CCW in CA? Is it that you guys that are getting them are in Utah or one of the transfer states often? Please enlighten me.

Yep.... Utah is good for a ton of states and specifically the ones I travel to the most (Nevada & Indiana are my two biggies). Its EASY to get- (Shall issue-Get it by mail).

cineski
06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
So I just hand an interesting thing happen today with the Culver City police department. I've been there before to get fingerprinting as I volunteered for a non-profit to teach at-risk kids last year. Went off without a hitch. This time around, I called them to make sure they were open, then asked about pricing and such. Told them I needed the FBI fingerprint card done. No prob.

That was until I got there. They asked what the prints were for, and I told them for a Utah CCW. Chris, the fingerprint guy, then told me they were out of cards, and that I had to go to the CA DOJ to get one. WTF? Apparently the Culver police don't do anything with a Utah CCW. Is this even legal? Not only did it waste my time and gas money to go there, I'm extremely insulted.

Where the heck can I go in W.LA to get fingerprints done for my Utah CCW?

rkt88edmo
06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm guessing it is legal for them to not provide the service - but it is pretty lame.

I'd write a letter to the chief and council members.

glockman19
06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I got them to do mine last year for both FL & UT.

kantstudien
06-19-2008, 1:15 PM
Utah has a specific card which you should have received in your class.

CSDGuy
06-19-2008, 1:36 PM
I got a hard card from my instructor and handed it to the local Sheriff fingerprint tech, they rolled the prints on the livescan machine and printed those prints to the hard card. Very easy and if they already have a printer that does those hard cards... the excuse that the OP got is not a good one.

cineski
06-19-2008, 1:55 PM
Greg said a simple Blue line FBI card is what's needed.

cineski
06-19-2008, 1:57 PM
Straight from the Utah website (doesn't say anything about a Utah specific card):

3. Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.

*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and fingerprints may be obtained at BCI (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville, UT. The cost is $13.00 for 1 photo and $13.00 for up to 3 fingerprint cards.

CSDGuy
06-19-2008, 2:14 PM
Yes, a blank FBI hard card will do. Utah also sends them pre-printed with some of the information on them. There's a LOT that still needs to be written on them. It is quite odd for a law enforcement agency that should have LiveScan terminals to not also have the FBI hard card. On the other hand, I've had the LiveScan terminal not print to the printer... but that was an odd day. I went back the next day and got it done without any problems.

GuyW
06-19-2008, 2:20 PM
I'm guessing it is legal for them to not provide the service - but it is pretty lame.

I'd write a letter to the chief and council members.

How can it be legal for them to do fingerprints for one citizen, and not another?

cineski
06-19-2008, 2:22 PM
They had them until I mentioned it was for a Utah CCW.

Yes, a blank FBI hard card will do. Utah also sends them pre-printed with some of the information on them. There's a LOT that still needs to be written on them. It is quite odd for a law enforcement agency that should have LiveScan terminals to not also have the FBI hard card. On the other hand, I've had the LiveScan terminal not print to the printer... but that was an odd day. I went back the next day and got it done without any problems.

rkt88edmo
06-19-2008, 2:25 PM
What I meant to say is that there may not be a legal mandate that they perform the service on request.

How can it be legal for them to do fingerprints for one citizen, and not another?

Markinsac
06-20-2008, 2:05 PM
Check with some of the notary companies in the area. Some also do fingerprints. They can both notarize your documents and take the prints.

When a class was given up in Northern California, the instructor arranged for a notary company to come in and process everything there for a flat fee for each person.

Frijolito1988
06-20-2008, 2:12 PM
So if you go these Utah ccw classes, you can ccw in utah and many other states when visiting? this confuses me a bit...

WhiteDingo
06-20-2008, 2:15 PM
It's a class mandated by the state of Utah in order to obtain a nonresident CCW liscense. Which allows you to carry while in utah, and whichever states recognize that particular liscense.

fairfaxjim
06-20-2008, 5:27 PM
So if you go these Utah ccw classes, you can ccw in utah and many other states when visiting? this confuses me a bit...

You not only have to go to the class, you have to apply for and receive the Utah non-resident CCW permit. You must meet their requirements for a background check, otherwise it is a shall issue state, with no BS good cause requirements. It is honored by 33 states. Many freestates have chosen to honor each other's CCW permits, either with reciprocity, or by individual state laws that recognize other states permits. Colorado, Michigan and Florida do not honor non-resident Utah CCW permits. Florida has a non-resident permit that is similar to Utah's in states that honor it, with a few differences.

None of these permits are honored in CA!!

Very recently, there has been some legislative banter about "why do we issue non-resident CCW permits?" in Utah. They may dissappear in the future.

yellowfin
06-20-2008, 6:26 PM
Nah, non resident Utah CCW's won't go away. They're too profitable for the state and they're well liked. What needs to happen is for the rest of the country to demand CA adopt reciprocity.

fairfaxjim
06-20-2008, 7:21 PM
Nah, non resident Utah CCW's won't go away. They're too profitable for the state and they're well liked. What needs to happen is for the rest of the country to demand CA adopt reciprocity.

The powers that be in the Utah BCI that issue them say they aren't profitable, and they also cite problems in administering over 600 out of state instructors. As for well liked, that is part of the problem for Utah, they are REALLY well liked outside of Utah. Doesn't sit well with Utah politocos that also want to control guns to be a CCW mecca. Hard for them to justify how that helps their constituents. We haven't heard the end of the noise about this. Will it end, maybe not, but I bet they try to make it less attractive at the least.

I don't think the rest of the country could give a rat's a** about CA reciprocity. CA doesn't have a single CCW law that would qualify for reciprocity under any agreement I have seen. We have a long way to go in CA before being reciprocal with reality, much less CCW.

LAK Supply
06-20-2008, 11:40 PM
How is the class for this? Is it short and sweet or will it be a full day plus? Is there anything that's necessary between the class and the submission that would keep one from doing both in the same day or two?

I've been thinking about heading over to SLC and doing this.... IIRC the UT permit is good for WA, NV, ND and AR and SC carry, right?

RomanDad
06-21-2008, 6:52 AM
How is the class for this? Is it short and sweet or will it be a full day plus? Is there anything that's necessary between the class and the submission that would keep one from doing both in the same day or two?

I've been thinking about heading over to SLC and doing this.... IIRC the UT permit is good for WA, NV, ND and AR and SC carry, right?

The one I did (I think its been over a decade now) was one evening.