View Full Version : Shotgun Laws?

06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Im confused with the shotgun laws. I understand the mag lock concept for the saiga's, but IM unsure of magazine quantity.

If I have a saiga with a BB, I can use 10 round magazines with the shotgun or is 5 the legal limit?

If i have a winchester sx2 with 9 shot magazine, thats legal in california?
OR does it have to have a plug in the mag so it only holds 5 shells?

At 5 shells do they consider it usefull for sporting purposes but more than that its illegal? Or is that just for the imported guns where you cant have more than 10 foreign made parts in the gun?

As you can tell, im lost.

06-18-2008, 10:55 PM
This is what 922v used to be about this, but since the ban has already sunsetted, I don't think it applies anymore.

However, I think 922r still applies:

922 (r)
The Imported Parts Law(1990)
178.39 otherwise known as 922(r) 10 Foreign parts law on semiauto Rifles & Shotguns
Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution
by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of
testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the
provisions of Sec. 178.151; or
(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
The shotgun can not have a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.

If you were able to get a magazine locked Saiga-12 in CA, you can lock any capacity magazine in place as long as it does not hold more than 10 rounds.

922r only effects imported semi-auto rifle, semi-auto shotguns and parts kits.

So, if you wanted to add a pistol grip stock to your mag locked Saiga-12, you would have to abide by 922r and will have to switch out some foreign made parts in order for it to be legal.