PDA

View Full Version : Springfield MilSpec

JesseXXX
06-18-2008, 9:56 PM
Woopeee I just got one... :)

Got a Springfield MilSpec in old school black-park...and this one is U.S. made?...(not stamped Brazil, no disrespect)... I just ordered some clean US wood grips from Springfield.....hopefully I can take it out soon...

So, leave as is...or put on a full length guide rod...?

Kruzr
06-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Does the serial number start with an NM? If not, look under the dust cover and under the right side grip if it doesn't say Made In Brazil on the side of the frame.

USN CHIEF
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I bought a SA 1911 and the serial number starts with NM. What does NM stand for Kruzr?

Back to the OP. Congratulations.. And BTW..

:useless:

Saigon1965
06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Not Made in the us.

Kruzr
06-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Springfield assembled some of the Mil Specs here in the US rather than import the completed guns like all production Springfields are now. Those that were assembled here (with the same parts made by Imbel) carried the NM (not National Match like the "old" days) prefix in the SN. You shouldn't find a "Made in Brazil" marking anywhere on the gun like you would on the just plain ol' N prefix guns.

USN CHIEF
06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you for sharing the knowledge Kruzr...:)

JesseXXX
06-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Just check my MilSpec.... the slide-upper has Illinois, but under the finger guard "Made in Brazil"... so its a 50/50..? Confused, but still in love:confused::)

yallknowho
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
no need for a full length guide rod in your milspec.

Fantasma
06-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Dude post some pictures:useless:...

rorschach
06-19-2008, 1:02 AM
My MilSpec has "FI BRAZIL" stamped in dot matrix on the dustcover. N424xxx

Kruzr
06-19-2008, 8:27 AM
Just check my MilSpec.... the slide-upper has Illinois, but under the finger guard "Made in Brazil"... so its a 50/50..? Confused, but still in love:confused::)
It's not 50/50. The entire gun was made by Imbel in Brazil. The gun is the frame.

H2H
06-19-2008, 8:35 AM
Not Made in the us.

good one :))

Delfunk2015
06-19-2008, 9:00 AM
getting mine wednesday...It was pretty hard to find too! everywhere i looked said they were sold out. Much thanks to Phillip at Fowlers in Orange. He special ordered one for me =)

Knauga
06-19-2008, 6:49 PM
GI or Milspec? There is a difference.

They are both great shooters, but the Milspec has some niceties that the GI doesn't.

ZombieKiller
06-19-2008, 7:31 PM
Aren't the machines used to manufacture the Springfield 1911a from the US ?

I heard that somewhere......can someone confirm this ?

Kruzr
06-19-2008, 9:29 PM

All the SA 1911's are made by Imbel in Brazil except those from the Custom Shop. The TRP is assembled here in the US with "cherry picked" parts to give it the good fit they have.

Nothing wrong with Imbel. The frames and slides on the Mil-Specs and GI models are great as a starting point for a fully customized gun since they are so thick.

JesseXXX
06-19-2008, 9:55 PM
Mine's a MilSpec... pics soon ;)

ibanezfoo
06-20-2008, 7:39 AM
getting mine wednesday...It was pretty hard to find too! everywhere i looked said they were sold out. Much thanks to Phillip at Fowlers in Orange. He special ordered one for me =)

Hopefully you will get the right one. My wife had to educate the guys at Fowlers on the differences between the GI and the Mil-spec when she bought me mine a few months ago. :) If you get the correct one, you can thank her by sending us some ammo for it. :D They had to go through a stack of them opening each box to verify...

-Bryan

Knauga
06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
It doesn't help when the box says Milspec on a GI Gotta look at the model number... or the gun. Either one gives it away.

Milspec's are very few and far between, I'd be surprised if it was one.

postal
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Most CNC equipment used in the US is either Japanese or German. Wouldnt be surprised a bit of Springfield uses Japanese/German in the US factory.

Kruzr
06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I think the GI model serial numbers begin with WW instead of N. Both the GI Gov't and Champion range rentals that I'm familar with have the WW serial number. That and the sights are smaller and the port isn't lowered at all.

JesseXXX
06-30-2008, 9:37 PM
Mine starts with N, looks like this (see link)
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=2

How far do I place the target? (zeroing) I was using 230gr and at "roughly" 25 feet (give or take) all my shots with VERY low...center, but very low...? any pointers....tips.....

xrMike
06-30-2008, 9:58 PM
I think the GI model serial numbers begin with WW instead of N. Both the GI Gov't and Champion range rentals that I'm familar with have the WW serial number. That and the sights are smaller and the port isn't lowered at all.Yeah, the GI serial numbers start with "WW" while the Milspecs start with either "N" (most common) or "NM".

The slides and frames for all of Springfield's GI and Milspec 1911s are made/forged by Imbel in Brazil. However, the Milspec guns that start with "N" are assembled and fitted in Brazil, while the Milspec guns that start with "NM" are assembled and fitted in the U.S at the Springfield plant. The "NMs" are slightly more coveted in the marketplace because some say they are tighter (assembled by better trained U.S. employees), but I don't know if that's really true.

Another feature the Milspec has over the GI model is a beveled magwell.

Nra-Life-Member
07-01-2008, 8:46 AM
Keep it as is. These are excellent 1911's..