PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith In So.Ca. for Ruger Mk ll

toadman
06-18-2008, 8:11 PM
I have a Volquartsen Ruger Mk ll that not extracting reliably. Don't want to send it out of state cuz of all the shipping hassles. Anybody know of a good
gunsmith in So. Calif?

warpath
06-18-2008, 8:19 PM
bolsa gunsmithing

Splinter
06-18-2008, 8:24 PM
DO NOT GO TO BOLSA! Try oc gunsmith at ades.

Kruzr
06-18-2008, 8:26 PM
You could order a new Volq. exact edge extractor and spend 5 minutes to replace it yourself. It's very easy on a Ruger Mark II.

Take out the bolt and remove the cross pin that functions as the firing pin stop.

Use a small screwdriver or better yet, a dental pick and put it just behind the extractor. It is then between the extractor and the plunger. You pull back on the plunger and simply lift the extractor out. Or, you can turn the bolt sideways and the extractor will fall out.

To put a new one in, pull the plunger back, place the new extractor in front so the little tab fits down on top of the flat part of the plunger and let it go forward. Reassemble the bolt and you're good to go.

If it's stovepipes you are getting, it could also be that the rear magazine lips are sitting at the same height as the ejector and is interfering with the round being ejected. A slight lowering of the rear magazine lips solves this issue.

sloguy
06-18-2008, 8:38 PM
pretty much what kruzr said. repace the extractor with a volquartzen exact edge. and...... clean your chamber. then clean the chamber again. i work at a range and i see someone with a malfunctioning firearm every weekend that is caused by a dirty chamber. people just forget to brush chambers, they brush the barrels and think thats enough. it isnt. use a 30 cal brush and twist it inside the chamber and dont use it down in the barrel.

if you ever get up to the slo area let me know, ill take a look at your ruger if you want.

!@#$
06-19-2008, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=toadman;1293090]I have a Volquartsen Ruger Mk ll that not extracting reliably. QUOTE]

i bet it already has a VQ extractor.

i would try a good cleaning of the chamber and extractor slot. also a change in ammo before switching parts or gunsmith trip.

many people have problems with the VQ extractor spring maybe try a factory part if cleaning and ammo change don't work.

for the love of god don't take it to bolsa.

toadman
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll try cleaning the chamber & extractor. Thought running a bore brush would
do that. How do I clean the chamber? Do I have to take the barrel off?
Yeah, it probably does have a Volquartsen extractor. Had everything done about 15 years ago & shelled out close to a grand back then.

Kruzr
06-19-2008, 1:53 PM
I'll try cleaning the chamber & extractor. Thought running a bore brush would
do that. How do I clean the chamber? Do I have to take the barrel off?
Yeah, it probably does have a Volquartsen extractor. Had everything done about 15 years ago & shelled out close to a grand back then.

Volquartsen exact edge extractors become irregular edge extractors with use. I've gone through two in 8 years.

toadman
06-19-2008, 3:02 PM
Volquartsen exact edge extractors become irregular edge extractors with use. I've gone through two in 8 years.

Whoa! Didn't know that. Isn't there anything better? Or are you sacrificing longevity for accuracy?

sloguy
06-19-2008, 5:05 PM
Whoa! Didn't know that. Isn't there anything better? Or are you sacrificing longevity for accuracy?

ive got many thousands of rounds thru mine and its not starting to fail yet. the extractor does nothing for accuracy, its reliability. get the "exact edge" volquartzen extractor. ive had alotta luck with that.

remove your barreled reciever from the grip, remove bolt and use a 25 or 30 cal brush and twist it in the chamber( from the rear). brass brush should be fine. use solvent a few hours in advance and let it soak well. then more solvent when you brush.

Kruzr
06-19-2008, 5:33 PM
Extractors work in a blowback gun after the round is long gone. They won't affect accuracy in any way.

We're talking about something on the order of 15K rounds each time. Mine still worked but I had a new one anyway and the old one had a slight rounding to the hook. It is now "sharp again" and waiting it's turn back.

Thunderhawk
06-21-2008, 11:49 AM
What is wrong with Bolsa? Years ago I had a S&W 19 tuned up there and was quite happy with the work done, but that was late 70's or so. Have they gone down hill since then?

pvoc
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I took in a PX4 Storm to have night sites added. Got home, the front sight was not lit and had a nice little chip taken out of the front of the slide. Took it back, they added a front sight with gas and left three more marks on the slide. I guess someone forgot to soften the vise with a cloth. They said they would fix the chip, but ignored my comment about the nice three little marks from the vise.

I'll never go back.

Splinter
07-03-2008, 3:00 PM
Had them do a simple trigger job. They just used springs, kept the gun for 3months, and the gun would double fire. Takes forever, they overcharge, refuse to do bedding jobs, and they do crappy work. They also give an estimate than add a charge to test fire. Do a search and lots of BS will come up. Stay away from bolsa and evans gunsmithing. If it wasnt for their LE work they would be out of business. I now go out of state for any work I need done. Although I hear OC gunsmith is a good op, and would use him for pistol work to avoid shipping costs.