PDA

View Full Version : 1911 WTK- Commander Frame question

shonc99
06-18-2008, 8:46 PM
Ok guys, I'm getting into 1911's and I got a frame from a buddy. As far as I know it is a standard GI type. The serial number starts with LH.

I would really like to build up a 'Commander' size pistol but from what I gather, the commander frame is not the same size as the GI, 'Gov't' etc.

Also, what the heck is the difference between the 70, 80 etc.

If someone knows an online article that CLEARLY explains what can be swapped between the models, I'd seriously appreciate the link. I have been searching for a week off and on. Something like the inch/metric FAL chart which shows what part works with which rifle.

Thanks.

m24armorer
06-18-2008, 9:32 PM
Lots of info but I'm too lazy to type. Call me.

As for the Commander the frame is the same as the Gov't model except the shroud for the recoil spring is shorter. All 1911 and 70 series parts will interchange in the frame.

Kruzr
06-18-2008, 9:35 PM
While the grip frame is the same on a Commander and a Gov't size, the position of the barrel bed and impact shield is different and the rails and dust cover are shorter. The frame rails/recoil spring guide seat are cut back on Commander frames by .100" to allow full travel of the slide.

A Series 70 refers to Colts with a collet or fingered bushing, a bulge behind the barrel muzzle to allow a tight fit with the bushing, and NO firing pin safety.

The Series 80 Colts came out in 1983 and got rid of the collet bushing (within a year or so) and included a firing pin block. The Series 80 has two extra parts in the action so when you pull the trigger, it pushes on a lever that in turn pushes another lever that pushes in a plunger in the slide to release the firing pin.

Today, people refer to a Series 70 as any 1911 without a FP block. Some 1911's (Kimbers, S&W's, and a few more) use other systems to activate a FP block.

Keep in mind that there are very few true drop in parts for a 1911. If you are building one from the frame up, you will be doing a lot of filing on and fitting of parts.

shonc99
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Keep in mind that there are very few true drop in parts for a 1911. If you are building one from the frame up, you will be doing a lot of filing on and fitting of parts.

That seems to be reality check in my 1911 'on the cheap' build. I'm tempted to buy a slide kit from Numrich, knowing full well that it will require some serious fitting.