PDA

View Full Version : PPT from out of state to CA, non roster handgun?

GTXR390
06-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi Guys,

wondering if i can PPT a handgun from out of state from a friend of mine. Unfortunately the handgun in question is not on the approved list in CA. I know it's legal to do PPT if both party are CA resident.

If not, what would constitute my friend as a CA resident? bank account? Cell Phone bill? I guess the obvious would be tax and driver's license...anything else?

I've also read somewhere...can't remember...says my friend can also do some sort of voluntary form? costs $20 or so...and that way he can PPT that firearm to me.

Thanks for any info,

GT

BigMac
06-18-2008, 1:46 PM
Your friend would need a CA ID or drivers license.

Unless there is something truely unique about this gun, it's not worth all the trouble.

The forms I am farmiliar with are for voluntary registration. This requires CA residency.
The other form is for intrafamiliar tranfers and operation of law transfers. These both require the other party to be directly related to you or dead and bequesting it to you.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but CA sucks this way.

thedonger
06-18-2008, 1:55 PM
Use the search feature. Their are endless topics exploring this subject.

To answer your question: To do a PPT BOTH parties must be CA residents. A Ca DL would be one way of proving your CA residency their may be others as well, check with an FFL to see what they will accept. Without a DL they may ask for 3 proofs, bills, car registrations etc.

Upon moving to CA you are required to register or sell all handguns within the first 60 days. To register you use a DOJ form and pay $19 per handgun.

GTXR390
06-18-2008, 2:44 PM
Upon moving to CA you are required to register or sell all handguns within the first 60 days. To register you use a DOJ form and pay $19 per handgun.

Thanks, guys, i've been researching it all day...and yea, it does suck. Another Question...i've read on another thread that, if my friend choses he can PPT the handgun to me, before he registers it. So that way, we dont have to deal with the extra $19 registration fee...right?? or is that what you ment "thedonger" that he needs to sell OR register it with DOJ? ahaha, kinda slow, fell asleep at work doin' this interstate PPT thing...:sleeping:

BigMac
06-18-2008, 3:00 PM
Yes, If he becomes a CA resident he can sell it before he registers it.

However, unless he has military ID he, or she, will have to have a valid CA ID. Not a paper copy.

GTXR390
06-20-2008, 7:43 PM
say if, i go to TX, NV, AZ, GA, UTAH...etc...and i get a drivers license there, i can purchase an off list handgun bring it back in CA and register it?

BigMac
06-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Legally, to get a DL in another state, you must become a resident of the state.

If you had become a resident of the state, then yes, you could do that. The limitations are no assault weapons.

GTXR390
06-21-2008, 1:58 PM
Thanks guys, for the info...i wana find the loopholes, but don't wana get in trouble for it...just doin as much research as i can before i decide if i want to proceed or not.

I've heard that in some states, u can just go to the DMV and pay for a new license...and it's given to you right away, not mailed to you within 1-2 weeks, like here in CA. of course you'd need to back it up with an address...some sort of account to that address...and you can be considered a resident.

any more info would be great. i'll post more questions if/when i can think of more...again i appreciate the help! :D

Dobbs
06-27-2008, 1:46 PM
I did a FTF PPT through an Orange County FFL several weeks ago. Not only did I have to produce a photo copy of my DL and HSC, but he wanted copies of my last three consecutive utility bills -- he wouldn't accept a bill from the last 90 days, which is what most dealers require.

GTXR390
06-27-2008, 1:53 PM
I did a FTF PPT through an Orange County FFL several weeks ago. Not only did I have to produce a photo copy of my DL and HSC, but he wanted copies of my last three consecutive utility bills -- he wouldn't accept a bill from the last 90 days, which is what most dealers require.

Do cell phone bill, or say medical bill, or any other bill to your address with your name work? I share a room and utilities bill does not go under my name. But my other bills do, as stated above (cell phone, medical, car insurance, car registration?)

thanks

ke6guj
06-27-2008, 3:56 PM
Here are the regs that CADOJ for proof of residency, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

cell phone bills would not work, medical probably not either. The car registration would work, or you could possibly get a rental agreement from the guy you are renting from.

Federal licenses work as well. A C&R FFL works good and is only $30/3years.

BigMac
06-27-2008, 5:40 PM
Are you on the lease?

Your lease agrement is an acceptable for of proof.

GTXR390
06-28-2008, 7:33 PM
Nope, no Lease....i'm sharing a house wid a buddy of mine. but my real address is my parents house. So i stay at both places 50/50. Still need mama's cookin!

:D