PDA

View Full Version : Rifled Slugs in a Mossberg 500...

ajl2121
06-16-2008, 2:54 PM
I have heard that rifled slugs work well in a smooth bore barrel. I have a stock mossberg 500 persuader 8 shot with a cylinder bore choke. Would most of you recommend rifled slugs or standard slugs for this? Also, what about the issue between 2.75" and 3.00"?

what2be
06-16-2008, 3:26 PM
I have heard that rifled slugs work well in a smooth bore barrel. I have a stock mossberg 500 persuader 8 shot with a cylinder bore choke. Would most of you recommend rifled slugs or standard slugs for this? Also, what about the issue between 2.75" and 3.00"?

Be careful what you shoot through that barrel. There are many rifled slugs out there that are strictly labeled "FOR RIFLED SHOTGUN BARRELS ONLY!"

The difference between 2.75 (length of a standard shotgun shell, and 3" for a magnum shell)

mooster
06-16-2008, 3:46 PM
Rifled slugs are for smooth barrel shotguns. Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels.

Be careful what you shoot through that barrel. There are many rifled slugs out there that are strictly labeled "FOR RIFLED SHOTGUN BARRELS ONLY!"

I have not seen this disclaimer on a box of rifled slugs before. I have seen it on sabot slugs, however. Sabots can get hung up on chokes and cause an unsafe condition.

You can fire rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel. There may be increased leading when firing this combination however.

**edit. here's a good link for slug information http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

ajl2121
06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
thanks guys...

randy
06-16-2008, 11:37 PM
I thought rifled slugs were standard slugs. At least they have been my standard for years.

what2be
06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
I saw some ammo on Ammuntion to Go's website that stated "rifled barrels only" but when I went to look a second ago it was gone. (thats the trouble with that website, they are constantly rotating stock and things come and go). I did a quick yahoo search and did find this on some other site...

==============================
12 GA SST SHOTGUN SLUG
Item No.

Price

View Ballistics

$15.87

Purchase From Your Hornady Dealer
It's only natural that the proven performance of Hornady's SST bullet enter the world of shotgun hunting. This slug allows you to bring unheard of accuracy and terminal performance to slug-only areas. The super-accurate SST bullet delivers sub-2" groups at 100 yards; and the flattest trajectory on the market. Designed for use in fully rifled barrels only.

===================================

UPDATE: found the same ammo on Ammo to go's website as well.

================================================== =======
5rds - 12 Gauge Hornady 300gr. SST Sabot Slug
[8623] $10.95
5rds - 12 Gauge Hornady 300gr. SST Sabot Slug
Click to enlarge

This is 12 Gauge Hornady 300gr. SST Sabot Slug. It's only natural that the proven performance of Hornady's SST bullet enter the world of shotgun hunting. This slug allows you to bring unheard of accuracy and terminal performance to slug-only areas. The super-accurate SST bullet delivers sub-2" groups at 100 yards; and the flattest trajectory on the market. Designed for use in fully rifled barrels only. This ammo is packed in 5rd. boxes.

mooster
06-17-2008, 6:48 AM
One of the NRA publications had a great article on shotgun slug technology and sabots. My google-fu is weak this morning but it was available for online reading.

The Hornady SST slugs are pretty interesting as they have a ballistic tip whereas most other sabots are cylindrical. Remington recently released their Premiere Accutip line of slugs that has a ported ballistic tip. I haven't tried these yet or even seen them in person.

As with rifles, shotguns can be picky about slug designs. Thus far I've tried several boxes each of Buckhammers, Hornady SST and Winchester Rackmaster. The Buckhammers seem to be grouping the closest for my Benelli.

CSACANNONEER
06-17-2008, 4:05 PM
Yep rifled slugs are designed to be shot out of smoothbored guns. If you have a rifled barrel. you don't need a rifled slug and it might actually be detrimental to use one.

natedogg1777
06-17-2008, 5:31 PM
All I know is: rifled slug + my Mossberg 500 = big holes in target and a bruised shoulder!

live2offroad
06-17-2008, 5:45 PM
All I know is: rifled slug + my Mossberg 500 = big holes in target and a bruised shoulder!

+1

But hooboy I do love throwing those big "rocks" at targets.. Nothing says "I win" like 12 gauge slugs blowing apart "stuff" (watermelons, old pieces of machinery, tree stumps, whatever else is laying about.)..

All day fun..

-Peter

CSACANNONEER
06-18-2008, 5:21 AM

Obviously, either you must not be shouldering it correctly or you bruise easily. I suggest that you get proper instuction on how to shoulder a long gun and/or you invest in a good recoil pad. I've shot a lot and the ONLY time I've ever been bruised was when my dad and I were leaving our duck blind, at the end of the day. I was 15 and my dad let me pull both triggers of a 12g 311 with 3" mags in both tubes.

Chula Vista Vittles
06-18-2008, 5:45 AM

I have the same shotgun / same barrel and have fired Remington 2 3/4 in rifled slugs with no problem [http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/slugger_rifled.asp

Just be sure to hold the shotgun in tight to your shoulder when you fire 'em :).