PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Skin anyone?

The Bacon Eater
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I though this was cool. I did not know they were selling to the public. If i had the cash i would not mind having one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Skin-Body-Armor-bullet-proof-vest-flak-jacket_W0QQitemZ290239063212QQihZ019QQcategoryZ102 537QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bigmike82
06-15-2008, 11:11 PM
JandJ, down in OC, sells it as well, I think.

zemperfi1971
06-16-2008, 2:12 AM
Yeah ..you can get them down at J and J. They are discounted too...

Darklyte27
06-16-2008, 5:36 AM
they tried to do a mil contract.. then the mil said it wasnt good enough. even though they shot like 90 rds of 9mm and other ammo at it..

Beelzy
06-16-2008, 6:42 AM
Did the guy really pay $4900 for it??

I thought about a vest for SHTF event, but I then realized that anyone
gunning for me will be trying to accomplish a head shot. :laugh:

The Bacon Eater
06-16-2008, 2:46 PM
If i had the money i would pick it up, but i have a feeling that his reserve is high.

JeffM
06-16-2008, 2:57 PM
I would guess there's more than a few of them floating out there that were purchased for deployment but weren't used very much. The whole Dragon Skin debacle has been big local news - Pinnacle is a Fresno CA based company.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/19587199.html

Bucc
06-16-2008, 4:00 PM
They don't sell it direct to the public and it's no loss.
It isn't all it's made out to be especially in a harsh climate.
Doesn't do much good for you to have all the scales around your waist in hot weather when some guy is shooting at your chest.

Caseless
06-16-2008, 6:57 PM
This is a must-have item if you frequent the E. Palo Alto area.:p
One Future Weapons episode showed Dragon Skin stopping conventional 7.62x39 rounds and anti personnel grenade fragments.
A German testing lab tested multiple rounds of 7.62x54R armor piercing incendiary rounds against the Dragon Skin and it survived. The Interceptor armor also did fine in this same test, but it started failing after multiple rounds of this API ammo.
Some reports say all U.S. generals in Afghanistan wear Dragon Skin type armor.

I think I'll wait for the Power Suits from the Starship Troopers novel.

lehn20
06-16-2008, 9:39 PM
It failed several independent tests. DONT BUY IT. Several highspeed people in the box I know sold theirs already. bullets will penetrate when shot at angles. They go between the overlapped material.

cmaynes
06-16-2008, 9:58 PM
Dragonskin was rejected by the Army- when it was exposed to heat, it did have problems with the armor staying in place.

Futureweapons, though fun, is like those infomercials you see on latenight tv...

zemperfi1971
07-08-2008, 9:29 PM
People in the know selling they're armor...lol....ok.....good I'll buy them, because I've seen with my own eyes what dragon skin can do. Friends went to Fresno for the dealer meeting...HELL...they all swear by it. Multiple angles and failing...I don't think so. EXPENSIVE maybe but faulty...nope...
SO if you have friends in the know who want to sell used dragon skin count me in... I already have 2.....

gn3hz3ku1*
07-09-2008, 8:00 AM
i know plenty of people who are down range in both crapholes who swear by it... and these people are def not reg infantry....

so if i was rich id get one but since i am not rich... ill have to just hope who ever breaks into my house is a worse shot than me?

cseabass
07-09-2008, 8:29 AM
i know a guy who can credit his life to the stuff.

he took 3 rounds of 545 at 3 foot and dispatched the shooter then walked away. he said the bruising wasnt as bad as he was expecting too.

Pryde
07-09-2008, 9:09 AM
Does anybody ever do research before they talk about stuff like this?

Here's the short version of the Dragon Skin story:

-Company makes dragon skin

-Company makes super high quality vests that weigh 40lbs so that they can show them off in tests and get .gov approval

-Independent testers and military personnel find that the actual production models are NOT super quality: some of them are easy to shoot through, some of them aren't, quality varies in each set

-Dragonskin owner and CEO slanders US troops who question the reliability his product

-gov yanks approval because the company cannot back up their own warranty

-Company is now on the verge of going out of business if they haven't already

Now tell me why I need this again?

slowfire
07-11-2008, 9:20 PM
It failed several independent tests. DONT BUY IT. Several highspeed people in the box I know sold theirs already. bullets will penetrate when shot at angles. They go between the overlapped material.

Heard that also from friends, they are most effective if shot is directly perpendicular.