PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake hunting

ViPER395
06-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Is rattlesnake hunting illegal?

I mean, as far as I can tell you can kill rattlesnakes when they're endangering yourself, others, livestock, or whatever, but can you kill them for sport and then do whatever as with a jackrabbit or coyote?

Let's say a friend of mine knows a really good spot on public unincorporated land (ie: legal shooting and hunting) that is full of rattlesnakes. Could he legally hunt a few down, maybe two or three, kill them, and then take them home to harvest into a nice snakeskin and try some jerky tests?

emc002
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
DFG Regs Here (http://www.californiaherps.com/info/herpinglaws.html)

Note that there are certain species of rattlesnake that are protected! You can find "Species of Special Concern" on the DFG website as well.

5.60. Reptiles.

(a) General Provisions: Only the following reptiles may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. The limit for each of the species listed below is two, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit. No reptiles shall be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.

(b) No sportfishing license is required for the sport take of any rattlesnake.

(c) Open season: All year.
(d) Hours: Reptiles may be taken at any time of day or night.
(e) Methods of take:

(1) Reptiles may be taken only by hand, except as provided in subsections (d)(2) and (3) below, or by the following hand-operated devices:

(A) Lizard nooses.
(B) Snake tongs.
(C) Snake hooks.

(2) Rattlesnakes may be taken by any method.

CSACANNONEER
06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
It's my understanding that you need a fishing license to take buzzworms. Of course, if you're just hiking around and suddenly feel like your life is threatened, you can protect yourself. As someone who typically averages killing one snake a week thoughout snake season, I would have to ask why anyone would intentionally go looking for them? If you decide to go, be careful.

ViPER395
06-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I just really want to try to make some rattlesnake jerky.

Walking Fire
06-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I just really want to try to make some rattlesnake jerky.

It tastes just like Chicken...:D

StraightShooter
06-15-2008, 12:34 PM
It tastes just like Chicken...:D

It really does. Skin and gut that baby and put the meat on the grill while its still squirming and close the lid. :43: Honestly rattlesnake meat aint all that and there isnt too much of it.

emc002
06-15-2008, 2:17 PM
I would have to ask why anyone would intentionally go looking for them? If you decide to go, be careful.

In Jr. High we used to catch them (along with gopher snakes) and sell them to a guy up on Placerville. $5 rattlers, $2 for gopher snakes. I think he milked them and sold it for production of anti-venom, but maybe he was just crazy. :eek:
There was/is a couple rattlesnake dens in what is now Serrano in El Dorado Hills where we used to catch them. Easy to get a dozen in half a day.
I've heard quite a few areas of Serrano have major rattler problems, so I'm guessing the dens are intact in some of that open space.

rod
06-23-2008, 9:52 AM
I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but killing buzzworms for the sake of killing them isn't a good idea in my opinion. It's one thing to kill a few and eat them, skin them, and make belts, but to kill them because they're "dangerous" leads to problems. Rattlesnakes love to eat rats and mice and saves me the trouble of having to deal with mouse traps. Snakes are not a nuscience for the most part and don't need to be exterminated. Please don't kill all of them and save a few to take care of the rodents.

randy
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Protected my *****. Basic rule of life, if I see a rattler it's gonna die.

emc002
06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Snakes are not a nuscience... save a few to take care of the rodents.

I beg to differ, they are more than a nuisance and dangerous to pets, livestock, children, etc.
Try living out in Ramona or Alpine instead of San Diego for a while and see if you don't start killing a few when they come on your property.
And as for rodents, that's what garter snakes, gopher snakes and feral cats are for.

Timberwolf
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
It generally depends on the type of rattler whether he survives an encounter - unless they're grumpy and I have to dispatch 'em I normally let Pacifics go about their business - they're generally not aggressive and do serve a place in nature . . . Mojave Greens on the other hand are dispatched on sight.

skateboarder74
06-23-2008, 12:18 PM
KIll them all and let God sort them out!

River Jack
06-23-2008, 1:56 PM
Rattlesnakes are also prey for many predators (hawks, owls, roadrunners, etc.); so by killing them indesciminantly you are depleting the prey base for those animals. And believe me, those animals need all the help they can get; after so many years of drought food resources for anything but scavengers might be a little thin. Seriously people, I understand not wanting venomous animals to come into contact with your children, pets and livestock, but there is no need to go out of your way to take one out just because you see it in the field. Trust me, all of our roads, cars, habitat depletion, fragmentation and encroachment is doing that well enough.

Timberwolf
06-23-2008, 2:01 PM
I've watched hawks go after rattlesnakes several times. Pick 'em up, gain altitude then bombs away and repeat until snake no move. Now if I can just convince them not to drop 'em around me as the first drop really pisses the snake off.

Toolbox X
06-23-2008, 3:30 PM
I'm am very against the needless killing of rattlesnakes. I understand if they are close to civilization and pose a danger, but to go out of you way just to kill them is not cool in my book. They are an incredibly important part of the food chain in their environment because they are so close to the top.

THE 0NE
06-23-2008, 3:41 PM
we do that better than you!!!!

ViPER395
06-23-2008, 3:41 PM
Just to make this clear, maybe i'm missing something...

Where the F did I say anything about killing rattlesnakes just for fun?

I want some skins.

I want to try some jerky.

Jesus. You'd think I was going out with a rattlesnake call and killing every one I see and leaving them lay. I'm not killing the little devils for my own dandy. I save that fun for mosquitos, coyotes, and the neighbors' cats. J/k on that last one.

Toolbox X
06-23-2008, 3:50 PM
Yeah, you never said you were getting "Rattlesnake Nemisis" tattooed on your chest, and killing just a few definately won't hurt anything.

bohoki
06-23-2008, 4:07 PM
In Jr. High we used to catch them (along with gophers) and sell them to a guy up on Placerville. $5 rattlers, $2 for gopher. I think he milked them and sold it for production of anti-venom, but maybe he was just crazy. :eek:

yea i'm confused how do you milk a gopher

ViPER395
06-23-2008, 4:10 PM
With a set of tweezers and a straw.

emc002
06-23-2008, 4:11 PM
Only one person make a blanket "kill 'em all" statement and since my undies weren't on "super-pinchy-self righteously indignant-tight" I presumed he was speaking sarcastically. We really do need a sarcastic smiley for this forum...

Buthey, if your points are weak, why not punt and use a strawman argument!

emc002
06-23-2008, 4:12 PM

LOL. Yeah, I meant the rattlers we sold him. Gopher snakes, no idea what he used them for. I edited my first post for clarity.
The guy we sold the snakes to was seriously crazy looking. For those that know the area, he was off of Old French Town Road and looked like the typical residents of that area, e.g. Deliverance

Timberwolf
06-23-2008, 4:16 PM
FOr the record I love rattlers . . . I love 'em rolled in cornmeal and fried with potatoes, or just pan fried with scrambled eggs. The ones out here aren't that big normally . . . 3 - 4 feet but kinda skinny. But go back east and get an Eastern Diamondback - now they got some meat on 'em.

ViPER395
06-23-2008, 4:22 PM
I heard shake-n-bake and then deep-fried was a good way for cookin' snake. I think someone on rimfirecentral was boasting about it.

trinydex
06-25-2008, 7:02 PM
I've watched hawks go after rattlesnakes several times. Pick 'em up, gain altitude then bombs away and repeat until snake no move. Now if I can just convince them not to drop 'em around me as the first drop really pisses the snake off.

how do the birds not get bit in flight?

Dark Water
06-26-2008, 3:29 AM
I wonder how many people have been bitten from a hawk dropping the rattlesnake on them? Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Timberwolf
06-26-2008, 8:53 AM
how do the birds not get bit in flight?

The one I've seen do it (its done it a couple of times) had ahold of the buzzer right behind the head.

trinydex
06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
i guess i should expect the birds to have great aim. sure is risky though. there's these mongoose fights on youtube and sometimes it doesn't seem the mongooses are all that quick or clever, they get bit, just lucky that it doesn't affect them.

mike22ca
06-26-2008, 1:08 PM
Ive had rattlesnake several times, taste like chicken lol. My dad used to make them all the time. Ive also kept a bunch as pets, interesting lil fellas. If you dont mind sharing, I wouldnt mind going with you guys and checkin it out as im in sacramento too.

mike22ca
06-26-2008, 1:10 PM
i guess i should expect the birds to have great aim. sure is risky though. there's these mongoose fights on youtube and sometimes it doesn't seem the mongooses are all that quick or clever, they get bit, just lucky that it doesn't affect them.

Cobras actually have a slow strike compared to Rattlesnakes and other vipers/pit vipers. Thats why the mongooses can get one up on them.

Rob454
06-26-2008, 4:42 PM
I dont go out of my way to kill rattlers. if i see one i get enough warning and I just walk around it. I killed a mohave once but he was really close to camp and we had dogs and kids so i didnt want anyone to get bit. I grabbed a stick and let him strike pinned his head and cut its head off. Skinned and ate him. Otherwise I dont really bother them. Once in a great while I get the urge for some snake meat so when i go hunting if I find a good size one I kill it and eat it. Im sure thare are tons of rattlers around and I dont think any of them are on the endangered species list so if you want to hunt them hunt away. just he careful and dont get bit
Rob

wuhungsix
08-22-2008, 11:56 AM
just out of curiosity. Is it legal to capture a rattler and keep them as pets? I always figured no, so I let them be. I grew up around reptiles and always wanted to keep one as a pet. Properly secured of course.

diginit
08-22-2008, 3:50 PM
just out of curiosity. Is it legal to capture a rattler and keep them as pets? I always figured no, so I let them be. I grew up around reptiles and always wanted to keep one as a pet. Properly secured of course.

I've had 2. When I was younger. But no. It is illegal to capture any wild animal in California. Tranchulas, Squirrels, Etc. You can't even keep your hiking stick or take a rock or shell from the beach. our hands are truly tied. Or should I say Cuffed.

Hopi
08-22-2008, 3:56 PM
I've had 2. When I was younger. But no. It is illegal to capture any wild animal in California. Tranchulas, Squirrels, Etc. You can't even keep your hiking stick or take a rock or shell from the beach. our hands are truly tied. Or should I say Cuffed.

Are you being sarcastic? Are you referring to national or state parks? If not, can you point to PC prohibiting this?

Rob454
08-22-2008, 4:56 PM
I know youre not supposed to remove anything from any california parks state or federal. people do it anyways. I went to this place once and it used to be a old indian settlement. had some beautiful carvings and paintings in rocks. of coourse as people found out about it they managed to chip away the rocks with the paint, carve or spray paint their names on the rocks basically totally destroying a beautiful work of art IMO simply because they are stupid and they wanted a piece of rock. probably got thrown out or they told their yuppie friends how hard they had to hike to this place.
Rob

bcrich
08-22-2008, 7:10 PM
True story, while fishing at silverwood lake on my inflatable boat I was scared $h!tless when a freakin rattle snake fell from the sky, my first thought was "who threw that at me?" looked up and saw a redtail hawk had dropped it as he circled once but decided to let me have it. Somebody stated how come the hawk doesn't get bit in flight? well after checking out the dead rattler I saw a bunch of puncture holes right on the head and the body so the hawks know what they are doing! I should have eaten some rattler along with the trout I caught

River Jack
08-22-2008, 7:12 PM

There are no state or federal laws against catching and keeping unprotected species of rattlesnakes (yes, some species are protected, even listed as threatened or endangered in some states, i.e., Crotalus horridus). It depends on the county and/or city you live in, however, as to whether you would be in violation of any of the local law, regs, or ordinances established there. For instance, to my knowledge it is legal to keep up to 2 each of the CA native rattlesnake species in San Bernardino County. However, if you live in a city in San Bernardino Co. that has an ordinance against the keeping of animals or wildlife deemed as dangerous (some specifiy venomous snakes, others do not), then it would technically be against the law for you in that city. I believe neighboring Riverside Co. does not allow the keeping of the native rattlesnakes.

giv1tatry
08-23-2008, 3:54 AM
where is this public unincorporated area that allows shooting? if its close to sacramento, i'll gladly give up going to colfax.

River Jack
08-23-2008, 8:27 PM

It true that you are not allowed to harass wildlife or remove anything from parks. Outside of parks, wildlife preserves, or maybe monuments, it is perfectly legal to capture unprotected wildlife (i.e., species not listed as federally or state threatened, endangered or otherwised designated as protected). Some wildlife require that adults obtain a fishing license (i.e., fish, reptiles and amphibians) or a hunting license (game), however nothing is required to catch and keep terrestrial invertebrates (insects, spiders, etc.).

cryoguy
01-13-2010, 7:12 PM
This is just my $.02 but if I see a rattler its a dead rattler. I was born in Sweetwater Texas and here is what we do with the rattlers we catch..... And yes I hunted Rattle Snakes when I was a teenager.

http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net/main/modules/page/

Bigballaizm
01-13-2010, 7:28 PM
I seen that on TV a while back.... Thats crazy, there are thousands of snakes there!

cryoguy
01-13-2010, 8:43 PM
The most we had at one time was about 60 snakes(what me, my best friend, and his dad caught for the roundup), and the longest was about 6 feet. Good times... Good times

Seesm
01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
They taste good.... I look all over my 11 acres and never find them... Found king and gophers but no rattlers...

Timberwolf
01-13-2010, 11:03 PM
I Found king and gophers but no rattlers...

thats why

Super Spy
01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Tasty!

ViPER395
01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
NECROPOST!

professionalcoyotehunter
01-14-2010, 8:37 PM
BBQ'd snake taste like turkey bacon.

Shoot-it
01-14-2010, 9:26 PM
I killed a few on a private ranch we find them on dirt roads.One of them had 13 buttons.I skinned one out for a friend the meat is white like chicken i did not eat it.One water trough had 2 under it we found them on 2 different days coming out around 7:00 they like to hid under them.The ones on this ranch must be pacific rattlers they are on the west coastal range they did not seem to be that aggressive.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-14-2010, 9:44 PM
I will take pics of a rattler I got at BigJons. (He shot it)

tmushy
04-17-2011, 5:50 AM
Sorry to bring up an old post. I constantly have rattlesnakes at my residential house. My father was almost bitten by one and another almost attacked.

My question is: Can I take my .22 out and start shooting? I live in Los Angeles. Im sure my neighbors wouldnt mind but I wanted to know if its illegal

Thanks for any help!

Spyder
04-17-2011, 8:30 AM
If it's legal to shoot a .22 where you're at, it's legal to shoot rattlesnakes.

Trapper
04-17-2011, 8:43 AM
Ran into this guy while hiking in Cleveland National forest, just took a few pictures and let him go.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/017.jpg
From another hike last season, again I just took pictures and let it go
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/28559_126449320712324_100000417697722_231494_29022 33_n1.jpg

Shoot-it
04-17-2011, 12:04 PM
If you have a shovel just use that to hack it's head off.
no reason resurrecting old threads start a knew one.

tmushy
04-17-2011, 12:06 PM

We tried that last time. I have a fear of snakes. We broke the things back and it still wouldnt give up. Ended up calling the fire department! They killed it like it was nothing.

Next time im shooting the thing with some .22 shot

9-12
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
no reason resurrecting old threads start a knew one.X2. Shooting at a rattle snake is not the best idea. A shovel is the best. I grew up in Encino hills in the early 70's and we killed a few a week for many years when those developments were first built up by Muholland. We had them in the garage, in the gutters, on the front porch and in the pool. Biggest one was over 6' (without the head) and a shovel was all we used. Make sure to dispose of the head, or bury it.

Shoot-it
04-17-2011, 8:45 PM
We tried that last time. I have a fear of snakes. We broke the things back and it still wouldnt give up. Ended up calling the fire department! They killed it like it was nothing.

Wow really!:eek: you need to give up your man card if your a man.You keep swinging that shovel tell he is in 10 pieces if you have to .The last one I did I got lucky one wack and his head was clean off.

A shotgun with bird shot works good or even a pistol caliber with bird shot.Those pistol rounds will not eject in semi auto rifles or handguns.

Ripon83
04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Our property in northern Nevada is full of them.....I don't shoot them unless I feel threatened....but I hate em...

Is rattlesnake hunting illegal?

I mean, as far as I can tell you can kill rattlesnakes when they're endangering yourself, others, livestock, or whatever, but can you kill them for sport and then do whatever as with a jackrabbit or coyote?

Let's say a friend of mine knows a really good spot on public unincorporated land (ie: legal shooting and hunting) that is full of rattlesnakes. Could he legally hunt a few down, maybe two or three, kill them, and then take them home to harvest into a nice snakeskin and try some jerky tests?

Los
04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I wonder how many people have been bitten from a hawk dropping the rattlesnake on them? Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Had a baby rattler dropped on my street. I didnt see it but the neighbor did. He was DOA though lol

Hunt
04-18-2011, 7:24 AM
be careful around these snakes. I have been reading that here in Southern CA they are evolving into a very lethal neurotixic venom, that doesn't have an antidode. Some guy was killed recently up on Cuyamaca by one. The venom shuts your heart and lungs down, be very careful.

emc002
04-19-2011, 4:15 PM
Original Thread? June 2008
1st Necropost Resurrection? January 2010 (18 months dead)
2nd Necropost Resurrection? April 2011 (13 months dead)

I've never seen one reincarnated twice before! Carry on n00bs.

WDE91
04-19-2011, 4:35 PM

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/bjkearns/double-facepalm.jpg