PDA

View Full Version : Punched In The Face

mister dize
06-14-2008, 5:20 PM
I took my new Mossy 500 out today for a few hours of throwing 1oz slugs down range.

2 boxes worth of 2.75" 1oz slugs and my shoulder is hurting, I probably should have had more on than a t-shirt.

Anyway, my question is this: when I'm bringing the gun up to my shoulder, I press my cheek against the stock such that when that sucker goes off, the stock punches me in the face, i.e. hits my cheekbone with a bit of force. After a couple of boxes of slugs in this fashion, I have a healthy lump on the side of my face.

Should I invest in a cheek pad or am I doing it wrong? Or should I just quit my whining and take it like a man?

daves100
06-14-2008, 5:27 PM
sounds like you do not have the butt of the gun pressed into your shoulder.

you should not be getting any side to side all force should be going into your shoulder.

69Mach1
06-14-2008, 5:38 PM
Shooting slugs will do that to you. If you're not going to buy low recoil slug rounds, than invest in a limb saver recoil pad and you can add an eagle cheek peice if it doesn't interfere with the bead sight.

The limb saver makes a huge difference. By the way, even if you have a strong cheek weld, the energy from firing slugs will transfer to your cheek making it feel like you're being punched. Even a slip on type ammo shell carrier stuffed with a lining of foam will help.

MERCULA
06-14-2008, 5:42 PM
The stock dosnt fit you right , not much choice though with a factory gun , try the limbsaver as suggested .
My O/U does the same thing , Hurts like hell ,

on a side note ,
My Ak did it as well switched to a longer LOP, and took off the slant brake, problem solved .

mike452
06-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Your shoulder should be pushing the stock not your face. You are pushing too much with your face on to the stock. Are you using a scope?
Just rest your cheek on it, not push it down.

sloguy
06-17-2008, 1:23 AM
most people arent holding a shotgun right. just this year i was taught how to do it correctly and its much easier on me, and im hitting far more clays. if your in the slo area, or are traveling thru any time soon, go talk to richard who runs the slosa shotgun range. hes an exelent teacher as far as shotgunning.

sigs229
06-17-2008, 3:09 AM
at first, i thought your thread would involve a pistol grip. :D
i had this rookie mistake many years ago in my teenage years!

slugs definately have more recoil than standard birdshot. i felt a difference when a slug got mixed in with some standard loads. maybe some practice with standard loads will help.

PatriotnMore
06-17-2008, 6:07 AM
most people arent holding a shotgun right. just this year i was taught how to do it correctly and its much easier on me, and im hitting far more clays. if your in the slo area, or are traveling thru any time soon, go talk to richard who runs the slosa shotgun range. hes an exelent teacher as far as shotgunning.

I agree, go down to your local skeet/trap range. Watch and identify who some of the better shooters are, start some conversation with some of them, and have them check your mount, head position, and stance. Also, shoot some rounds with them, they'll probably give you some valuable instruction on shooting.

kmca
06-17-2008, 6:42 AM
I'd check the pitch then have the stock cut to mount a new recoil pad. I like the Kickeze pads that have a convex face and material similar in softness as the Trapdude, but lasts much longer.

mister dize
06-17-2008, 7:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a limbsaver recoil pad, and my wife has agreed to sew me a cheek pad because she thinks that $40 for one is way too much considering what it's made of.

Next time I go to the range I'll watch some of the good trap shooters.

kmca
06-17-2008, 8:01 AM
Keep in mind that the trap/skeet shooters are shooting in an upward direction. Typically using a shotgun tactically, you're shooting level or below level, so you'll probably want a bit more negative pitch. Also note that none of the trapshooters use a cheek pad.

Where are you located?

X-NewYawker
06-17-2008, 2:37 PM
KNOXX stock with Limbsaver butt pad. All pain go away.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Knoxxbuttstock.jpg

mister dize
06-17-2008, 7:41 PM
Keep in mind that the trap/skeet shooters are shooting in an upward direction. Typically using a shotgun tactically, you're shooting level or below level, so you'll probably want a bit more negative pitch. Also note that none of the trapshooters use a cheek pad.

Where are you located?

I'm in the East Bay, Oakland area.