PDA

View Full Version : Desert this Sunday?

rksimple
06-13-2008, 1:09 PM
There was some talk of a potential desert shoot to the spot this Sunday. Just wanted to see who was interested and what time people wanted to come. I got 5 more pieces of 10x15 steel to set up, so we'll now have 10 targets from 300 to 1000 yards.

It is fathers day, so plan accordingly.:)

PistolPete75
06-13-2008, 1:44 PM
It's my moms bday this sunday as well. We should leave real early and leave the place by 11am, so I can get back my 12:30ish. That might work for me if we can fit that schedule.

If someone could drive that would be cool too. I have 3 bald tires that I need to replace soon.

crowbar
06-13-2008, 2:22 PM
--Thread hijack alert-- :cool:
We're not quite desert, but the Tri-County Rifle Club is having its' monthly long range shoot this Sunday in the Cuyama Valley. The match is a 2 x 1,000 yard, any / any, F/TR, F Class. NRA LR targets. Next month will be a Palma match. PM with questions.

Mike

wildcard
06-13-2008, 5:31 PM
It's my moms bday this sunday as well. We should leave real early and leave the place by 11am, so I can get back my 12:30ish. That might work for me if we can fit that schedule.

If someone could drive that would be cool too. I have 3 bald tires that I need to replace soon.

It's going to be one hot biotch but i'm in! Lets carpool out there Pete. I may have to drive slooooooooow.. but i've made it out there in my car. Your proposed schedule works for me.. I got to get back to rest a little and do a father's day BBQ. I just did my 2nd interview for a city and got another interview set with the PD.. and i'm going to hunt piggies tomorrow. Been busy.

Meet at your place at 6:30?

We should maximize the time we have before we fry in the heat. No shelters where we shoot. Maybe I'll bring a shotty for the rattlers too.

ar15barrels
06-13-2008, 5:41 PM
I'm in Brazil.
Anyone up for the 22nd at Pala?

brokestudent12
06-13-2008, 5:50 PM
I'm in Brazil.

I hear you can get 2 grils for 1 chicken drumstick ;)

PistolPete75
06-13-2008, 7:15 PM
It's going to be one hot biotch but i'm in! Lets carpool out there Pete. I may have to drive slooooooooow.. but i've made it out there in my car. Your proposed schedule works for me.. I got to get back to rest a little and do a father's day BBQ. I just did my 2nd interview for a city and got another interview set with the PD.. and i'm going to hunt piggies tomorrow. Been busy.

Meet at your place at 6:30?

We should maximize the time we have before we fry in the heat. No shelters where we shoot. Maybe I'll bring a shotty for the rattlers too.

k. confirmed. sounds good.

congrats. sounds like your 1 step closer to becoming leo. remember, don't arrest my ***.

i'll call joe up later, and see if he wants to do some shooting.

PistolPete75
06-13-2008, 7:21 PM
I'm in Brazil.

what do you do again? your like all over the world.

ar15barrels
06-14-2008, 12:33 AM
what do you do again? your like all over the world.

Specialized camera equipment for the TV and motion picture industries.
This week I am in Porto Alegre, Brazil, installing a camera track system in this station:

http://www.clicrbs.com.br/rbstv/jsp/default.jsp?uf=1&local=1

PistolPete75
06-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Specialized camera equipment for the TV and motion picture industries.
This week I am in Porto Alegre, Brazil, installing a camera track system in this station:

http://www.clicrbs.com.br/rbstv/jsp/default.jsp?uf=1&local=1

got it makes sense. my neighbor is in the same industry as you. he travels alot too.

Timberwolf
06-14-2008, 10:16 PM
You guys be careful up there and watch for things that go buzz - they seem to be out more this year than last - a pistol loaded with snake shot on the hip is always a good feeling this time of year.

wildcard
06-14-2008, 10:52 PM
You guys be careful up there and watch for things that go buzz - they seem to be out more this year than last - a pistol loaded with snake shot on the hip is always a good feeling this time of year.

Pssh.. I prefer to just just hit my intended target with a single bullet. None of this "snakeshot" nonsense :)

ar15barrels
06-15-2008, 2:33 AM
Pssh.. I prefer to just just hit my intended target with a single bullet. None of this "snakeshot" nonsense :)

Spoken by someone that has never awoken a rattler in the middle of a 3gun stage. ;)
I had to put one down with my benelli once.

Timberwolf
06-15-2008, 7:38 PM

I rather be able to miss just a little and still kill it. Its amazing what a good dose of adrenalin will do to your accuracy.

PistolPete75
06-16-2008, 9:16 AM
we didn't see any rattlers, but we did shoot some cactus fruit with a shotty.

sorry ryan, the steel at the 750yard dropped. on the bright side it was my first shot. i'll go up on the hill with you on the next run.

wildcard
06-16-2008, 9:26 AM
Hehe. There's only 3 target still standing. We would have fixed it if we could drive up there.. but dang it was too hot to hike.

There were no signs of life out there except for bugs.. lots of them.

PistolPete75
06-16-2008, 9:27 AM
yep next time, i'm going to bring something to cover myself up with. those bugs are a real pain in the ***.

rksimple
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah, sorry about the no show. The wife pulled the presidential veto and I had to stay.

Well, its good to hear that all the targets are out there still and nobody has taken them. The one at 450 fell last time I was out there. One t post isn't quite enough to keep that one up. I'll go up to the 750 one next time I go out there. I'll have to take some bolts and chain with me. Maybe Joe and I can work on the design as to not need chains.

PistolPete75
06-16-2008, 11:04 AM
let me know if i can pitch in for material costs, since you did so much in putting the targets together.

it sure felt good pulling the trigger again. i'm showing homes on saturday, but i'm up for another shoot next sunday!

wildcard
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, sorry about the no show. The wife pulled the presidential veto and I had to stay.

Well, its good to hear that all the targets are out there still and nobody has taken them. The one at 450 fell last time I was out there. One t post isn't quite enough to keep that one up. I'll go up to the 750 one next time I go out there. I'll have to take some bolts and chain with me. Maybe Joe and I can work on the design as to not need chains.

Should have told her: This is MY day :)

Is it that the t-posts are weak? Or did the collapsed targets receive the "cheaper" ones which weren't strong enough in the first place?

rksimple
06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
No, I used the beefier t-post on the 450 yard steel. The first time I used the thinner one and it failed pretty quickly. All the other steel has the same beefy t-posts. The problem at 450 I think is due to the energy of impact, torsional forces on the post, and the fact I'm only using one on that target. All it takes is one hole in the t-post and after a few off center hits giving it some torsion, the t-post buckles and fails. Its not helped by the fact that its on a hill and unless completely square, the t-post has to support the weight of the target pulling it down at an angle.

How did the target at 750 die? Was it the chain or did the post bend? Might have punched out the bolt too.

PistolPete75
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
i took one shot, and it fell straight down. post didn't bend, so i'm thinking i shot the bolt out.

PistolPete75
06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
joe has some mild steel laying around. mayby we can just weld some stuff up together, and nail it into the ground.

wildcard
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
joe has some mild steel laying around. mayby we can just weld some stuff up together, and nail it into the ground.

Maybe we can make a bunch of spring loaded targets :)

PistolPete75
06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Maybe we can make a bunch of spring loaded targets :)

that'll be sweet. can't we just copy the design off yours?

rksimple
06-16-2008, 12:18 PM
The problem with mild steel is it has to be somewhat thick. In being thick, its very heavy and will barely move when hit, especially with a spring behind it. Being suspended, the sound of the impact is more audible. We just need some good stands, maybe made from rebar or something stronger than t posts, and they should last a while. I have 5 more pieces of that same steel we can use.

Timberwolf
06-16-2008, 1:47 PM
The problem with mild steel is it has to be somewhat thick. In being thick, its very heavy and will barely move when hit, especially with a spring behind it. Being suspended, the sound of the impact is more audible. We just need some good stands, maybe made from rebar or something stronger than t posts, and they should last a while. I have 5 more pieces of that same steel we can use.

Call or email Kurt Stone (or s/w him at June's match). He has fabricated several stands etc for me and could probably fix you up with something that'll get the job done without too much effort or breaking the bank.

rksimple
06-16-2008, 2:15 PM
Call or email Kurt Stone (or s/w him at June's match). He has fabricated several stands etc for me and could probably fix you up with something that'll get the job done without too much effort or breaking the bank.

I've got a couple of his targets and have talked with him a bunch at the vegas matches. He's a hoot. But I have a lot of steel and access to a bunch more. I really don't need to be paying for anything except welding rods and chain at this point. I need to save my money for components!

ar15barrels
06-16-2008, 7:55 PM
those bugs are a real pain in the ***.

If you wore pants, you wouldn't get those pains...

ar15barrels
06-16-2008, 7:58 PM
I have a lot of steel and access to a bunch more.

I need to talk to you about a piece of scrap plate for our demo derby car door. ;)