PDA

View Full Version : 308 Blackhole Weaponry Barrel

Flux Capacitor
04-02-2015, 7:33 AM
Anybody have any luck with factory rounds and their 308 Blackhole Weaponry Barrel? I have tried ZQI and some Federal, and grouping sucks. Its overgassed as well.

Cypriss32
04-02-2015, 7:39 AM
What's the barrel? You need a adjustable gas block. The black holes I have shot really good. The 308s tend to be over gassed. Try some good quality ammo no cheap fmj stuff. I'd say FGMM. What are the rifles specs?

Flux Capacitor
04-02-2015, 10:28 AM
What's the barrel? You need a adjustable gas block. The black holes I have shot really good. The 308s tend to be over gassed. Try some good quality ammo no cheap fmj stuff. I'd say FGMM. What are the rifles specs?

Aero M5 upper and lower. Midwest handguard. Std Stuff. Got an adjustable gas block now. But the group sucks so far.

nijikon84
04-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Aero M5 upper and lower. Midwest handguard. Std Stuff. Got an adjustable gas block now. But the group sucks so far.

Grouping sucks because you're using Factory Ball Ammo.

Can't buy ZQI @ Walmart and expect moa or sub moa groups. You can't blame a match barrel for bad groups when you feed it cheap ammunition.

Try 168 or 175gr FGMM.

Cypriss32
04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Buy good ammo, precision and cheap ammo don't go together. Try federal or hornady match (NOT superformance)

Cypriss32
04-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Does it have a Milspec trigger or a good aftermarket one?

varanidguy
04-02-2015, 1:46 PM
I'm using an 18" Black Hole Weaponry on my .308. With American Eagle 150 grain FMJ-BT it was getting about 1 MOA at 100 yards. I'm now reloading 175 grain SMK and I'm gonna try to get some nice groupings with it on Saturday.

As far as being over gassed, mine hasn't shown any signs. Spent casings are in pristine condition and the rifle ejects at 3 o'clock. Guess I got lucky when it comes to that because I have been told from another source that they tend to be over gassed as well.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/varanidguy/20150310_171903.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/varanidguy/media/20150310_171903.jpg.html)

hossb7
04-02-2015, 1:50 PM
In my experience, ZQI .308 gets about 2-4 MOA at 100 yards.

starsnuffer
04-02-2015, 4:46 PM
Does it have a Milspec trigger or a good aftermarket one?

Triggers don't make a rifle more precise, the good triggers just cover up more user error than bad triggers.

-W

Cypriss32
04-02-2015, 6:06 PM
I can guarantee if you have the same rifle with a 6 pound trigger and a 3pound trigger. You will be able to shoot better more consistent groups with the 3 pound.
How do I know? I own a ton of guns and test stuff a lot. Have a good trigger with consistent pull makes a big difference when grouping.....

Mr.1904
04-02-2015, 8:36 PM
As said above, shoot better ammo. And ****ty groups is relative. What exactly have you been getting? At what distance? What was your break in procedure?

The one BHW barrel i have is in 5.56 and it's by far my sweetest shooting rifle (even with a piston kit). SO FAR.

I'm breaking in my BHW .264 lbc (6.5 grendel) barrel this weekend. I'll report back if it's over gassed.

Cypriss32
04-02-2015, 9:06 PM
Mr. 1904 where did you get your 6.5 barrel? I Have been thinking about getting one.

Flux Capacitor
04-02-2015, 9:30 PM
Mr. 1904 where did you get your 6.5 barrel? I Have been thinking about getting one.

He said BHW. Blackhole Weaponry. I'll try American Eagle. My CMMG 308 barrel loves the ZQI stuff. Shoots less than 1-1/2" at 100yds.

Mr.1904
04-02-2015, 9:44 PM

I actually got it from a buddy who gave it to me for a steal, i couldn't pass it up. If you're in San Diego AO Sword has 20" BHW .264 lbc barrels in stock. Usually BHW has like a 6-8 week lead time if you go direct. And BHW = Black Hole Weaponry.

He said BHW. Blackhole Weaponry. I'll try American Eagle. My CMMG 308 barrel loves the ZQI stuff. Shoots less than 1-1/2" at 100yds.

CMMG is a different animal than BHW. The nicer barrels tend to like nicer ammo. It could be something as simple as the barrel liking different grain weights. Each barrel's different.

varanidguy
04-02-2015, 9:46 PM

I have contacted BHW regarding 6.5 barrels and they said that they will make "Type 1" and "Type 2" bolt specific chambers...so both 6.5mm Grendel and .264 LBC. You can buy directly from them.

lump
04-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Has anybody here recently purchased a barrel from BHW? I put in an order now almost 12 weeks ago for a .264 LBC barrel, and still have not received it. No fluting, nothing fancy, so shouldn't have been too complicated for them. I've requested the status of my order multiple times and still no word. Of course my credit card was charged. Has anyone ordered a barrel since mid-January and received it? Just curious if 3 months is their standard lead time.

Zartan
04-13-2015, 1:36 PM
Website says 6-12 weeks, so you should be close!

varanidguy
04-13-2015, 5:05 PM
Has anybody here recently purchased a barrel from BHW? I put in an order now almost 12 weeks ago for a .264 LBC barrel, and still have not received it. No fluting, nothing fancy, so shouldn't have been too complicated for them. I've requested the status of my order multiple times and still no word. Of course my credit card was charged. Has anyone ordered a barrel since mid-January and received it? Just curious if 3 months is their standard lead time.

I know this seems odd, but try contacting them on Facebook. They seem to respond pretty well on social media, and their page gives you the option for a private message. Also yeah, their web site does state 6-12 weeks, so you might be getting a shipment any day now.

As far as their barrels go, second trip out, I discovered that the .308 BHW barrel I got is indeed over-gassed. Adjustable gas block should be on your list.

lump
04-13-2015, 5:48 PM
I know this seems odd, but try contacting them on Facebook. They seem to respond pretty well on social media, and their page gives you the option for a private message. Also yeah, their web site does state 6-12 weeks, so you might be getting a shipment any day now.

As far as their barrels go, second trip out, I discovered that the .308 BHW barrel I got is indeed over-gassed. Adjustable gas block should be on your list.

I am anti-FB, so no dice there, but I can see how the potential for public shaming could drive faster response times. I'll just keep at it on email and phone, and factor this experience into my future purchase decisions. I'm also 99% sure that the stated lead time was much less at the time I ordered it (I think it said 4-8 weeks, but I could be wrong).

Yes I do have an adjustable gas block, so that's good to know....in fact I have every damn part except for the barrel!

varanidguy
04-13-2015, 5:50 PM
I am anti-FB, so no dice there, but I can see how the potential for public shaming could drive faster response times. I'll just keep at it on email and phone, and factor this experience into my future purchase decisions. I'm also 99% sure that the stated lead time was much less at the time I ordered it (I think it said 4-8 weeks, but I could be wrong).

Yes I do have an adjustable gas block, so that's good to know....in fact I have every damn part except for the barrel!
Yeah I hate public shaming honestly. That's why, even on Facebook, I prefer private messages.

Post results when it finally comes in! From what I can tell, over gassing is really the only flaw of the barrel. The thing shoots better than I can.

Schlyme
04-13-2015, 8:50 PM
I have 22" BHW 308 barrel on mine. I'm curious, what are the signs of over gassing? I odered a 6.8 then the 308 and 5.56 about 2 weeks layer. The 6.8 came in about 6 weeks, the other 2 right at 12.

varanidguy
04-13-2015, 9:40 PM
I have 22" BHW 308 barrel on mine. I'm curious, what are the signs of over gassing? I odered a 6.8 then the 308 and 5.56 about 2 weeks layer. The 6.8 came in about 6 weeks, the other 2 right at 12.

Mine is failing to extract (leaving spent cases in the chamber), and ripping the rims on spent cases. The recoil is also pretty extreme, even for a .308, and cases are even jamming in the action. Hoping the adjustable gas block does her good.

triggs75
04-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Mine is failing to extract (leaving spent cases in the chamber), and ripping the rims on spent cases. The recoil is also pretty extreme, even for a .308, and cases are even jamming in the action. Hoping the adjustable gas block does her good.

^^^ this. I have a BHW 16" in .308 and it does all of the above. Got an adjustable gas block to help it out some.

varanidguy
04-13-2015, 10:15 PM
^^^ this. I have a BHW 16" in .308 and it does all of the above. Got an adjustable gas block to help it out some.
Have you tuned it with the adjustable block yet? If so, how does it run now?

JustaBlokeAnywhere
04-13-2015, 10:55 PM
I have a 556 BHW, mid length, HB fluted match grade. Took almost 5 months for it to be made to ship. But it's the best 556 I've ever had on my ARs.

Schlyme
04-13-2015, 11:37 PM

Ok, I was thinking you meant to much gas moving through the gas port into the gas block and cycling the bolt with excessive force. I guess thats what is happening if the bolt is tearing the base off the cases!

My 308 barrel has a rifle length gas port and has shown no signs as described. My 6.8 is mid-length and also has not shown signs. the 5.56 is patiently waiting to be built.

Hoop
04-14-2015, 1:19 PM
I have what I'm pretty sure is a BHW 308 16" barrel on my rifle and it shoots fairly well in the 1-1.5MOA range. Recoil is pronounced though and ejection is 10' to my 3 o'clock but it's not tearing cases apart or showing any other signs of excessive wear so it could just be a very powerful ejector in my BCG.

triggs75
04-14-2015, 6:26 PM
Have you tuned it with the adjustable block yet? If so, how does it run now?

Yes the adjustable gas block did fix about 95% of it. There are still a few times out of say 100+ rounds that the case might not come out. But the cases do still come out showing some TLC marks on them.