PDA

View Full Version : big 5 experience

Batbunny
06-12-2008, 3:09 PM
I know a lot of people get pretty bad service at big 5 when they want to buy firearms, but today i went in asked to handle just about all the shotguns they had, and well the employee was real nice about it and actually knew what she was talking about.

After I picked the one i wanted I was out in 10 minutes.

i bought up a remmy 870, 20 inch. $382.xx out the door.

the only odd thing i see is that the ten day starts the day after the transaction, but i'm not really in a big hurry. And also they don't charge an extra 5 dollars in fees like turners does.

so not all big 5s are that bad. at least the one i went to today

-batbunny

Saigon1965
06-12-2008, 3:13 PM
All Big 5s are that bad, just some of their employees are not.

.22guy
06-12-2008, 3:13 PM
The one I go to isn't bad most of the time. I haven't bought a gun there in quite some time though, due to having my C&R.

They do the "11 day wait" so that an employee doesn't release a weapon before the 10 24 hour periods have passed. So for instance you start DROS at 2 in the afternoon and then pick it up at 10:30AM 10 days later. It's kind of a dumb policy but it's them covering their butts from the G.

apbrian112
06-12-2008, 3:15 PM
which one was this at? sounds pretty decent to me... most gun store employees start looking annoyed after you handle the 3rd or 4th gun (they assume you're not going to buy).

Batbunny
06-12-2008, 3:20 PM
17390 Colima Rd.
Rowland Heights CA 91748

The managers name was Sarah...can't remember last name

And on another occassion the other manager Eddie is good to deal with, not sure if he is still there but he is a shooter himself so he is pretty good about it

emrivera1
06-12-2008, 3:45 PM
17390 Colima Rd.
Rowland Heights CA 91748

The managers name was Sarah...can't remember last name

And on another occassion the other manager Eddie is good to deal with, not sure if he is still there but he is a shooter himself so he is pretty good about it

HAHA! her name is Sara Moore. I used to work for her. She grew up in Oregon around guns so she knows what she's talking about. When you pick up your shot gun, tell her Mike Rivera from Store 259 said hi! She has to be one of the most laid back managers I've ever worked with.

RAD-CDPII
06-12-2008, 3:55 PM
There's a couple of good folks who know what they are doing at the Milpitas Store on Calaveras too.

ryno066
06-13-2008, 6:00 AM
Ill buy guns from them because they still sell them. Unlike wal-mart or k-mart. They got the balls to piss off the antis they'll get my business.

Rob454
06-13-2008, 7:31 PM
Ill buy guns from them because they still sell them. Unlike wal-mart or k-mart. They got the balls to piss off the antis they'll get my business.

Cant argue with that. I like my big 5. When i have a problem with anything I buy there they take it back and replace it no questions. I usually get some camping gear shirts, knifes I break them a lot and I bought all my shotguns there. best prices in town. i dont care about their 11 day policy its not liek 24 more hours is gonna make a huge difference IMO
Rob

KrizB
06-13-2008, 8:54 PM
My only option at the moment is Big 5 (no other gun stores that I have access to), luckily my overall experiences with them have been positive.

Really hope they start selling semi auto shotguns again. Last time I saw one it was a TriStar Viper for $3xx.
Still kicking myself for not getting one.

1lostinspace
06-13-2008, 9:15 PM
I was there the other day and asked do you have any .223 bolt action?

The guy replied ".223 is not a popular caliber so we don't carry any"

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I just looked over at friend because he could contain his laughter and just got up and left (my friend is so embarrassing sometimes)

sirfonners
06-14-2008, 8:41 AM
i went to big 5 last monday to buy my first gun
it was a pretty good experience, i couldn't tell if the lady who was helping me knew her stuff because i didn't really ask any questions. But she was really nice, and did all the paperwork really quickly and helped me understand everything pretty well so i think i will probably go there again.

redrover
06-14-2008, 8:57 AM
I'm satisfied with my Big5 experience. If Walmart doesn't stock the ammo I need, I go to Big5. I always get excited to see good deals on their newspaper ads, too. In the Bay Area, its rare to see ads of firearms in newspapers.

thebloodsonthewall
06-14-2008, 9:20 AM
I have come to know the guy at the gun counter at the Big 5 by my apartment. He is real friendly and for the most part knows his stuff. They give me the sale prices before and after they are current. I haven't bought a gun from them yet but I have boughten many other things.

I think at all the gun stores I have been to, they had an 11 day wait period.

ViPER395
06-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Big-5 is a good store. The locations in the Sac area are pretty decent. They don't always have the best help, or the lowest ammo prices, but there are some knowledgable people there.

They also have the best deals on new pump shotguns and Marlin .22LR rifles around.

gcvt
06-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I've had good luck at both the Daly City and Richmond Big 5's. KNowledagble staff that is more than willing to let you fondle a few guns, even if you're not ready to buy on that day. I bought my 10/22 at the Daly City store and will be buying a shotgun from either them or the store over in Richmond.

InvictusManeo
06-14-2008, 9:22 PM
I was at the store in Oxnard today, with a friend who was buying an 870. Both of the guys there were very friendly and helpful, and admitted not knowing everything before answering what questions they could. Even gave him last week's sale price on the gun without him requesting it.

The guys at the Thousand Oaks store have also been pretty good to me.

I avoid the stores in the San Fernando Valley, as they have an anti-gun regional manager, and their firearms service suffers as a result (this information coming from an employee at the Oxnard store).

ElToro
06-15-2008, 1:28 AM
the gun guy at Dublin is cool. i was in there today. he seemed to know whats up. let me handle all i wanted.