PDA

View Full Version : Fieldcraft Course in Los Angeles - Human Tracking

Pascal
06-11-2008, 9:54 PM
Well, over the last few years I've invested a lot of $ in various fieldcraft courses ranging from Desert and Urban survival, to observation, land navigation, tracking, etc... and more recently a lot of courses about Wild Food. I'm actually at a point where 50% of my green food is taken from daily hiking.

I just thought it would be good to start sharing some of the info and experience so I'm planning to give a few "outings" to go over the basics of various disciplines.

So I'd like to test the water and see if there are some local people interested to learn more about fieldcraft within a (somewhat)Urban Environment. We'll be close to the Angeles Forest which can be a bit wild.

The first outing I would like to give could be named "Introduction to Tracking"

It would start at 9:30 AM and would probably be completed by around 1-2 PM.

Date: Saturday July 5

Location: close to Pasadena,CA (the exact location will be given once someone confirms he is attending)

Cost: $ 30.00

What will be covered:

During the class we will move around for probably 3 hrs. There will be a short drill of situation awareness and then we will proceed with the basics of tracking such as those used in search and rescue-type scenarios. We will learn how to create a "tracking" stick and use it to actually follow tracks, what are the various signs and how to read them, how to use tracking and report it, what to look for and how to train yourself to see signs, etc...

Once we have completed the tracking drill, we will also learn about some specific wild food plants, collect some of the plants and do some actual cooking. Be ready for some culinary surprises!!!!

Dress code: Usual hiking outfit. I usually don't wear camo for this stuff. Long pants, hiking boots and long sleeve are a good idea. There are snakes around, poison Oak is a possibility.

To bring with you

- Compass (not a must but good to have, you will use it)
- Knife
- Water
- Snack
- Measuring tape
- Pen
- Paper
- One plastic bag (to collect the wild food)

At the end of the outing, you will have a small manual containing the information we went over, the wild food will amaze you (and it's actually all over the place in a city), you'll have a greater understanding of tracking and how it can be applied to search and rescue (much more then watching the TV shows) and add some new knowledge to your arsenal.

I'm looking at a group of 5-6 people at the most so let me know fast.

PM me if any questions.

wildcard
06-11-2008, 9:56 PM
I'm in.. I live in Pasadena :)

Pascal
06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Cool :)

PM me and I'll give u the location... This will be a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

mevale
06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm in!!

Pascal
06-12-2008, 11:18 AM
New date is July 5 so it does not conflict with the Saugus Match which I want to attend as well.

I already have 3 people interested and plan to keep the outing small , like around 5. If there are too many people, I'll do another weekend for the rest.

dasmi
06-12-2008, 11:27 AM
That is just a fantastic idea, wish I could attend.

rksimple
06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm in.. I live in Pasadena :)

You in for the sac match the following day?

This sounds like a lot of fun Pascal. I just need to get my ducks in a row re: the sacramento monthly match and I'll let you know asap.

wildcard
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
You in for the sac match the following day?

This sounds like a lot of fun Pascal. I just need to get my ducks in a row re: the sacramento monthly match and I'll let you know asap.

Hmm.. I guess that depends on the carpool schedule! I think you should come out to Pasadena for this event :)

Teletiger7
06-12-2008, 3:50 PM
Sounds interesting. PM sent. +1 regarding snakes out right now. It's warming up so they're coming out to play. Lately, where i go hiking it seems like I hear a snake rattle atleast every 10 seconds.

justinLB
06-13-2008, 9:40 AM
If there is room I would love to join.

Pascal
06-15-2008, 7:36 AM
Hi Justin - It'sfine PM me.

OK COOL - WE'RE FULL - anyone else interested let me know (some people may decide not to come at the last minute) and if this type of outing is successful we may do more. Feedback from people on this first outing will tell the tale.

At this point is looks like we have enough people (around 5-6).

Here is an updated list of what to bring:

- Compass (not a must but good to have, you will use it)
- Knife
- Water
- Snack
- Measuring tape
- Pen
- Paper
- One plastic bag (to collect the wild food)
- Binocular (if you have some)
- Digital camera may be a good idea if you want to take record of some of the edible food we will collect for later on.

We "may" wander for a very short distance (50-100 yards) through some thick vegetation to study some other signs then the usual foot print, ground disturbances, etc.. and yes, definitely long pants is good. I did it with shorts as a test yesterday and you may get scratches and stuff. Beside, with Poison Oak around it's a good idea to wear the long pants.

I was asked all kinds of questions by PM - This is a very informal outing, the idea is to go around and learn some interesting fieldcraft skills related to tracking and learn a bit about some of the available wild food. The only reason I charge is because of the time spent on putting a manual together (and as a graphic designer, I'm doing a really nice one), getting some stuff like plates, cups, tape, etc... but also collecting some of the wild food the day before and cooking it to show how it can be used. So I'm not charging for the outing but for the time and expenses on materials and litterature that will be given during the outing.

We will also collect some plants and we'll also do a mixed salad with some of the food we will collect during the outing. Probably do some cooking on location too.

Location will be around La Canada/Altadena/Pasadena. I'm still checking some alternative places just in case.

At this point I will send a confirmation that "This is happening", more info and any updated "bring with u list" a week before the outing (probably around Saturday June 28).

Pascal

wildcard
07-04-2008, 5:45 PM
So has anyone been briefed yet? I have no idea where we're meeting!

Novadesigns
07-04-2008, 6:39 PM
Pascal sent me a PM with all the information.... you didn't get it?

Pascal
07-04-2008, 7:33 PM
Wildcard, don't know what happened. I send you a new PM with info.

If anyone has his email or phone number, let him know.

It's a go. Tomorrow at 9:30 AM

wildcard
07-04-2008, 8:19 PM
Wildcard, don't know what happened. I send you a new PM with info.

If anyone has his email or phone number, let him know.

It's a go. Tomorrow at 9:30 AM

Just got it. Thanks!

Pascal
07-04-2008, 8:53 PM
Awesome!