PDA

View Full Version : ACOG or EO Tech

Dark Water
06-11-2008, 1:58 AM
I have an AR itching for a quality piece of glass and would like to hear your choices. My AR is a 16 inch M4 style that I generally use for distances of 0-50yards. Magnification would be nice but I can get along without it. I like how the ACOG looks like a scope. It compliments the gun well. Let me know what you think.

What Just Happened?
06-11-2008, 6:33 AM
http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15/

Casual_Shooter
06-11-2008, 6:39 AM
If it's in your budget, ACOG now has the "doctor" option which is a small red dot eotech looking addition to the top of their scope. i.e. TA31DOC.

vandal
06-11-2008, 7:07 AM
Benchrest shooting? Carbine competitions?

argonadict
06-11-2008, 9:09 AM
eotech with a aimpoint 3x magnifier on a qd mount,then you can use the eotech at short range,and just clamp on the magnifier for mid work,and still cheaper for all that than a acog alone and versatile.

or if your only doing short range the aimpoint micro t-1 seems to be getting really popular

brando
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I've used ACOGs, EOTechs, and all of the Aimpoints from the 1000 (circa 1992) through the CompML to the Micro T-1. For close, dynamic work where you're moving around a lot and engaging targets in less than ideal positions, I prefered the EOTech. The 65MOA ring is very rapid to acquire and the FOV is very wide. This was after using Aimpoints for many years, where the major drawback was the ability to switch to 300m engagements (the 4MOA dot is too large for). However, the EOTech battery life is weak compared to the Aimpoints (which you can pretty much leave on all the time) and the interface is clumsy in my opinion. I eventually put the EOTech away after I had a couple "shut off" mid-recoil which made me glad to have BUIS. So now that Aimpoint makes optics with smaller dots, I gave the Micro T-1 a try. This is now my favorite RDS. It's super light, compact and solid.

ACOG are fantastic for what they are and very durable, however I think for under 200m they're less than ideal. The fixed magnification is the problem and makes close-in target acquisition slower than a wide FOV non-magnified optic. Kind of apples & oranges if you ask me. Downrange I used my ACOG when I was back in the wire and most likely to engage in a fixed defensive position. This is where the NSN model was great with the BDC reticle and the magnification. I worked out the ranges for the streets and buildings nearby so that IDing targets and engaging them accurately was MUCH easier than had I used an RDS.

Still, your mileage may vary.

What Just Happened?
06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
eotech with a aimpoint 3x magnifier on a qd mount,then you can use the eotech at short range,and just clamp on the magnifier for mid work,and still cheaper for all that than a acog alone and versatile.

or if your only doing short range the aimpoint micro t-1 seems to be getting really popular

Why not use the eotech 3x magnifier?

argonadict
06-11-2008, 2:08 PM
Why not use the eotech 3x magnifier?

the set up i shot had a aimpoint and i liked it alot,ive never used the eotech magnifier so i cant tell anyone else if its good or bad and theres people on this forum that have massive more experience then me so ill leave that duty to them :)

the micro t1 is going to go on what im piling up parts for now so then ill beable to review it aswell

cheers

LibertyOptics
06-11-2008, 2:29 PM
For 0-50 yards, just get the EoTech, without any magnifier. That's what is does best.. I like the small dot Aimpoint also.

Scott

get2now
06-11-2008, 2:46 PM
Bushnell Holosight is the ticket. Over a hundred dollars cheaper than the Eotech too.
I had the Bushnell but my eyes weren't good enough to see anything past 100 yards. I now use an ACOG but that's because I shoot out to 400 yards with it.
If money is no object then get the ACOG. However, if you're only shooting out to 50 yards then the Bushnell or Eotech is what you would want. The Bushnell/Eotech has a much faster target aquisition for closer targets than the ACOG too.

brando
06-11-2008, 3:02 PM
That reminds me of something that was brought up before regarding close-in shooting with an ACOG. If it's got one of the illuminated reticles, you can use it in OEG mode (like the old Armson sight from the early 70s), but it requires a little bit of getting used to. The idea is that with both eyes open and focused on the target, the dog/triangle/donut that's illuminated in the reticle becomes superimposed by your binocular eyesight. Kind of hard to explain.

SuperSet
06-11-2008, 3:12 PM
That reminds me of something that was brought up before regarding close-in shooting with an ACOG. If it's got one of the illuminated reticles, you can use it in OEG mode (like the old Armson sight from the early 70s), but it requires a little bit of getting used to. The idea is that with both eyes open and focused on the target, the dog/triangle/donut that's illuminated in the reticle becomes superimposed by your binocular eyesight. Kind of hard to explain.

Have you ever successfully worked this option? Not only was I little bit slower than a dedicated RDS, my POI/POA was different.

brando
06-11-2008, 3:23 PM
Oh totally, I'm against it, but for some folks it works well. Kind of a "your mileage may vary" situation. That's exactly why I recommend EOTech's and Aimpoints over ACOGs most of the time. Going back to Iraq I'd take a Micro T-1, but going to A'stan I'd take an ACOG. Why? Average engagement distance is MUCH farther in A'stan where a magnified optic is more important.

argonadict
06-11-2008, 3:54 PM
ive used armson occulated for years,once you get used to it it can be rather quick,for sporting though, i wouldent bet my life on it

LibertyOptics
06-11-2008, 4:07 PM
Have you ever successfully worked this option? Not only was I little bit slower than a dedicated RDS, my POI/POA was different.

Are you referring to the both-eyes-open Bindon Aiming Concept? That will not work well if you are cross-dominant (e.g., shoot right handed; left eye dominant).

SuperSet
06-11-2008, 4:19 PM
Are you referring to the both-eyes-open Bindon Aiming Concept? That will not work well if you are cross-dominant (e.g., shoot right handed; left eye dominant).

Yep, that's the concept name. I'm right handed and right eye dominant but in BAC mode, you're shooting with your left eye since your right eye is the magnified view and your left eye is looking at the target. So, you end up seeing the ACOG dot floating over the target, just like a RDS. But, if I pull the trigger, the POI is always off. I think Brando was saying the same thing.

argonadict
06-11-2008, 5:16 PM
i learned to use the armson sight by covering my left eye with my hand then
looking into the dot with my right,waiting to adjust then removing my hand,now its instant,i belive anyone can learn to shoot ambi and with both eyes open with practice ive been teaching people to shoot that way for about 18 years,not firearms mind you'

but for alot of people i know who got into firearms later it carried over and works well,for sporting

this is the std. sight we use

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269/DeviantsWebsite/proteam_2005_2831632.jpg

and this just went way OT so last post from me, cheers

randy
06-13-2008, 2:01 AM
0 to 50 yards iron sites.

maxicon
06-13-2008, 9:56 AM
Dunno about OP, but I can't see irons for squat any more, after having used them my whole life. I shoot a lot better with a red dot/holosight.

I'm an Eotech fan, but Eotech's been having some quality issues recently, and they're having a hard time keeping their formerly good support up. There's a recall for battery contact issues (which have been around on and off for years) and the BDC reticle on the 557 is having problems in NV mode.

Long thread on it here, with they typical fanboi vs hater action:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=374769

OTOH, the Aimpoint T1 Micro is getting some rave reviews for a close-in sight. If I were one of you big-money-sight guys, I'd be seriously jonesing for one of these right now.