PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout Squad - Smith Enterprise GLFS-D-18 spacing question

MMXX
03-16-2015, 8:29 PM
I'm replacing the muzzle brake and the gas lock on my M1A Scout.

http://mygunculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Smith-Enterprise-M1A-M14-parts-1499.jpg

Similar to this picture, I have a small gap between the GLFS-D-18 gas lock and gas cylinder.

Is this normal? I have about 180 turn until the gas lock fits flush and I worry if I tap it another half turn it will strip the threads.

Looking for advise. Thanks.

ILVSMOG
03-16-2015, 10:14 PM
There are shims available to take up that gap and allow proper torque, while correctly clocked.

Kowan
03-16-2015, 10:19 PM
uCyYx0GpixM

H2O MAN
03-17-2015, 6:01 AM
ILVSMOG & Kowan answered correctly. Shims.

As usual, Plink answered with a lie about me.

polygunner
03-17-2015, 7:39 AM
Or you can move the cylinder forward to meet the lock and be done with it.

Shims are the way to go though. They go between the gas cylinder and the barrel shoulder.
pg

GartenZwerge
03-17-2015, 8:07 AM

You should sue him... In a random state

penguin0123
03-17-2015, 8:29 AM

Awww, I missed the drama. :\

BTW, will unitizing the gas cylinder change the shimming needed?

H2O MAN
03-17-2015, 12:05 PM
BTW, will unitizing the gas cylinder change the shimming needed?

I have never used shims with a unitized cylinder, but then again, I stopped using unitized cylinders when I started using shims.

MMXX
03-17-2015, 3:12 PM
I have never used shims with a unitized cylinder, but then again, I stopped using unitized cylinders when I started using shims.

I was looking into unitizing and was wondering which do you prefer? I've been reading into this.

and thanks for the reply's, I wasn't sure if shims were the way to go.

slopoke
03-17-2015, 5:14 PM
I was looking into unitizing and was wondering which do you prefer? I've been reading into this.

and thanks for the reply's, I wasn't sure if shims were the way to go.

It's been my understanding that the biggest difference is with the welding method you get to keep the gas system valve operational and the screw and glue method renders it non useable. Other thoughts are that with the welding method, the welds may crack. With the screw and glue no welds to crack.

I would suggest buying the shims and going that way, better price point, 14 bucks shipped for shims vs 95 bucks (labor only) for a screw and glue from a reputable M14 smith like Ted Brown. Sure you won't be able to call your rifle a true "National Match" rifle but if shimming the gas system gets the results, who cares. But in the end, your money, your choice. The URL below is a discussion thread about it on the M14forum.

http://m14forum.com/accuracy/97077-screwed-glued-welded-why.html