PDA

View Full Version : Gas rings in a piston AR?

Crusader
03-16-2015, 8:44 AM
Howdy all,

I have a question regarding the three gas rings on an AR bolt carrier. I finally broke down and purchased my first piston-driven AR - a Sig 516 that I found on sale for $1100. As I took it apart and cleaned the rifle, bore, and carrier group I found that the bolt still had the three gas rings on the bolt.

Being that my rifle runs on the piston, is there any advantages or disadvantages to removing those gas rings? I'm curious why Sig would install them on the bolts unless they just have one bolt for their 516 and M400 lines

Forewarned
03-16-2015, 8:52 AM
My LMT does not do that, it might be a Sig thing.

Steve_In_29
03-16-2015, 9:59 AM
They are no longer necessary in a piston gun but they don't hinder the operation either.

FeuerFrei
03-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Howdy all,

I have a question regarding the three gas rings on an AR bolt carrier. I finally broke down and purchased my first piston-driven AR - a Sig 516 that I found on sale for $1100. As I took it apart and cleaned the rifle, bore, and carrier group I found that the bolt still had the three gas rings on the bolt.

Being that my rifle runs on the piston, is there any advantages or disadvantages to removing those gas rings? I'm curious why Sig would install them on the bolts unless they just have one bolt for their 516 and M400 lines

Gas piston is up front, so...
I have never found an official explanation as to why the gas rings are present on these rifles.
Even the manual makes no mention of them other than to lubricate.
I can see no reason to leave then in. They are akin to an appendix. It's there, but not really needed. ;)

Jaybird
03-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Yeah PWS doesn't use them either in their line of gas piston rifles.

starsnuffer
03-16-2015, 10:51 AM
No rings on my HK. Bolt is slightly different design though than a standard AR.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKN103672-2.jpg

-W

Crusader
03-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Good to know, thanks guys. The only explanation I could figure as to why they were still there is if Sig uses one batch of bolts for all their AR rifles - I.E. the M400 line that runs on DI

MrPlink
03-16-2015, 9:20 PM
I'd bet you are correct and they just streamlined the bolts.