PDA

View Full Version : Legal worries.

cookie123
03-14-2015, 8:33 PM
Alright guys,
So I've been spending some time building my "wish list" for my first AR build. I've read through the stickies and I have followed the handy flow chart.
However, even with all of the reassurance from those sources, I'm going into this fresh and have some worries that I'm accidentally going to build something illegal without even realizing it.

Basically the build I have in mind is close to:
Spikes lower
PSA LPK with Bullet button
This Upper: http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Upper_Harpe_Chrome_NoBCG
BCG: Undecided (open to suggestions)
Magpul CTR (Also open to other suggestions)

Given these parts, everything should be in the realm of California legality correct?
Again, as far as I can tell it meets all of the requirements of the flow chart but I just wanted to double check with you more experienced folk.

Thanks for any help.

West9319
03-14-2015, 8:37 PM
Looks legit, remember 10 round mags only with a BB.

varanidguy
03-14-2015, 8:51 PM
As long as you run 10 round magazines and a bullet button, that build should be good to go.

Personally, I just buy the 10 round magazines rather than the 10/20 or 10/30's. Don't see the point in getting long magazines for cosmetics.

russ69
03-14-2015, 9:10 PM
...Don't see the point in getting long magazines for cosmetics.

You can get a better grip on a 20 round magazine but most of my mags fly out of the mag well, so you are right no need for an extra long one that gets in the way.

West9319
03-14-2015, 9:25 PM
The better grip is a pro for some people. That and before the rebuild kit law price to make 10/30 was pretty cheaper too.

NorCalFocus
03-14-2015, 9:38 PM
PSA sells lower build kits that include a Magpul CTR, Magpul MOE grip, and buffer assembly. Its a good value. Not a huge savings, but you get it all with one purchase and save on shipping.

I like 10/20's. 30's are long and 10's are hard to grab. I do like 10's for hunting though as they fit in my pocket well.

varanidguy
03-14-2015, 9:56 PM
You can get a better grip on a 20 round magazine but most of my mags fly out of the mag well, so you are right no need for an extra long one that gets in the way.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think of that. With a bullet button, speed loading and all that isn't really fun imo...And I've never really gripped the magwell when firing free hand. Tried it but I had better luck gripping the handguard.

barrage
03-14-2015, 11:22 PM
I know it's a little worrying going into it as a new guy, but you'll be 100% legal if you follow the Calguns flowchart to a T. Don't deviate from it and don't leave it to your own interpretation and you'll be good to go.

mdib870
03-14-2015, 11:26 PM
10 rnd mag bullet button 16 inch barrel and minimum of 30 inches in its shortest configuration

starsnuffer
03-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I guess I didn't think of that. With a bullet button, speed loading and all that isn't really fun imo...And I've never really gripped the magwell when firing free hand. Tried it but I had better luck gripping the handguard.

Not so much for holding the weapon, but did you ever try to fish a 10 round mag out of a pouch or pocket? They're only useful if you can line them up on a table at a range.

-W

NoNOS67
03-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Good advice so far. Don't be afraid to ask questions and ignore the "use the search button" crowd.

Bad-Element
03-14-2015, 11:53 PM
10/30 milsurp mags are nice, and should you need a "high cap" in the future...like when California's 10 rd limit law is reversed you'll have std size mags designed for the weapon ;)

tashunkawitko
03-15-2015, 11:59 AM
you look good to go. I'd go featureless. Buy a kydex grip wrap and then there would be no need for the bullet button.

varanidguy
03-15-2015, 12:07 PM
10/30 milsurp mags are nice, and should you need a "high cap" in the future...like when California's 10 rd limit law is reversed you'll have std size mags designed for the weapon ;)

If the 10 rnd limit law and "assault weapon" law could both be overturned so I can have standard AR's without being a felon, I'd be sooooooooo happy.

tashunkawitko
03-15-2015, 12:32 PM
If the 10 rnd limit law and "assault weapon" law could both be overturned so I can have standard AR's without being a felon, I'd be sooooooooo happy.
Yeah the other day I saw Miranda Kerr in a her birthday suit riding on a unicorn, carry a 2 big bags of fort knox gold bars and FAL, AK, AR rifles delivering them to my house....but then maybe I was dreaming ...like you too. :p

MrPlink
03-15-2015, 2:28 PM
Yeah the other day I saw Miranda Kerr in a her birthday suit riding on a unicorn, carry a 2 big bags of fort knox gold bars and FAL, AK, AR rifles delivering them to my house....but then maybe I was dreaming ...like you too. :p

And that is why you fail

varanidguy
03-15-2015, 2:40 PM

Nah, I think overturning the laws is possible and even realistic. It would be an uphill battle and it would be appealed so much by the progressives in Sacramento that it would take multiple federal court rulings, but it's possible. Stranger things have happened.

West9319
03-15-2015, 3:53 PM
Nah, I think overturning the laws is possible and even realistic. It would be an uphill battle and it would be appealed so much by the progressives in Sacramento that it would take multiple federal court rulings, but it's possible. Stranger things have happened.

I'm up for that battle.

Bad-Element
03-15-2015, 7:13 PM
Me too!

Bad-Element
03-15-2015, 7:21 PM
Yeah the other day I saw Miranda Kerr in a her birthday suit riding on a unicorn, carry a 2 big bags of fort knox gold bars and FAL, AK, AR rifles delivering them to my house--

Ironically this is possible too, it just takes dedication :)

And a will to fight.

cookie123
03-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the help and support guys. Went in and picked up my safety certificate and purchased my lower. So it begins. Also I now understand the phrase "if you can't pass the test you don't belong around a firearm"

West9319
03-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the longest 10 days in the state...

Mitch
03-17-2015, 8:25 AM
Thanks for all the help and support guys. Went in and picked up my safety certificate and purchased my lower. So it begins. Also I now understand the phrase "if you can't pass the test you don't belong around a firearm"
If you can't pass the test you shouldn't be allowed outside.