PDA

View Full Version : Best all around 5.56 semi auto for the money?

hairtumor
03-12-2015, 6:37 PM
I know I'm gonna get a lot of different opinions here. I'm just looking for a simple, reliable, accurate 5.56. I had a Sig 556, an AK, a Ruger mini 14. I just want something that is simple to use, simple to maintain. Not sure if that even exists. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hossb7
03-12-2015, 6:38 PM
Colt 6920.

hossb7
03-12-2015, 6:38 PM
Or BCM/Daniel Defense equivalent.

Mossy Man
03-12-2015, 6:40 PM
Pick up any generic $650 AR

Mutenri
03-12-2015, 6:40 PM
An AR built to your specific wants from parts.

TMB 1
03-12-2015, 6:46 PM
I know I'm gonna get a lot of different opinions here. I'm just looking for a simple, reliable, accurate 5.56. I had a Sig 556, an AK, a Ruger mini 14. I just want something that is simple to use, simple to maintain. Not sure if that even exists. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions

Well you had one. Another good one for the money is the SU-16. Both are simple to maintain, both are accurate and reliable.

tiechshlime
03-12-2015, 6:59 PM
Saiga sport in 5.56 comes to mind.

riderr
03-12-2015, 7:31 PM
I just want something that is simple to use, simple to maintain.AK platform. It requires almost no maintenance due to loose tolerance.

hairtumor
03-12-2015, 7:34 PM
Well you had one. Another good one for the money is the SU-16. Both are simple to maintain, both are accurate and reliable.

if you are referring to the Sig 556 I loved it but it was very heavy. The AK was a tank but not very accurate. The mini 14 was alot of fun but the mags were hit or miss.

c good
03-12-2015, 7:36 PM

This....

wytwolf
03-12-2015, 7:42 PM
S&W M&P15

kcheung2
03-12-2015, 8:14 PM
Is there some other criteria that's missing? Because any plain vanilla $600 AR is simple to use & maintain, and is as accurate as the shooter.

bigbearbear
03-12-2015, 8:22 PM
If you are not very invested into the AR-15 platform, a good alternative would be the Beretta ARX-100. It is very simple to operate (all popular rifles are simple to operate anyway), reliable and very easy to maintain.

I don't own one myself but from the videos on Youtube, it looks like it require very minimal lubrication and the barrel can be easily detached, making it simple to clean. Most of the firearm is polymer too so you won't have to worry about corrosion much.

G21Shooter
03-12-2015, 8:28 PM
Or BCM/Daniel Defense equivalent.

We have a winner. Build a AR with a BCM upper/BCG and you will have yourself one hell of a good 5.56 rifle.

Yeah ARs aren't as cool as they used to be because lots of people have them, but the bottom line is one built with top notch parts is a outstanding firearm.

sportDogger
03-12-2015, 8:28 PM
If you saiga 223 wasn't accurate it's probably due to who was behind the trigger :)
if you are referring to the Sig 556 I loved it but it was very heavy. The AK was a tank but not very accurate. The mini 14 was alot of fun but the mags were hit or miss.

hossb7
03-12-2015, 8:31 PM
We have a winner. Build a AR with a BCM upper/BCG and you will have yourself one hell of a good 5.56 rifle.

Yeah ARs aren't as cool as they used to be because lots of people have them, but the bottom line is one built with top notch parts is a outstanding firearm.

It's almost like you know me :D

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/guns/IMAG1338.jpg~original

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/guns/IMAG1340.jpg~original

Cypriss32
03-12-2015, 8:51 PM
Scar 16, or bcm

williamcm
03-12-2015, 8:59 PM
BCM for sure. Chrome lined and free BCG! I just bought a 16" upper for my dad; $520 shipped. Slap on a lower and good to go.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

TMB 1
03-12-2015, 9:00 PM

I was referring to the Mini, don't know anything about Sig never had one. The SU-16 is lightweight. It weighs 5lb and uses AR mags. Pmags are like they were made for it.

sl0re10
03-13-2015, 6:23 AM

I have a vepr in 223 and all I can say is maintenance is optional. It just works.

After a trip the range I'll spray some rem oil in the magwell....

General
03-13-2015, 6:55 AM
The one I have for sale.

Cypriss32
03-13-2015, 6:59 AM
Because YOUR selling it, It is classified under the worst.

drclark
03-13-2015, 7:03 AM
What do you mean by "easy to maintain"? Are you referring to ease of field stripping and reassembly, ease of cleaning or availability of end user installed replacement parts?

AR pattern rifles are easy to break down, reassemble and just about every part can be installed/replaced by the user and parts are widely available. Only downside is that cleaning can be more intensive due to the DI gas system. A budget 16 or 20" plain-jane setup can be had in the market place in the $550 range. AR type rifles are plenty accurate and overall the best value right now.

Mini14 tends to be easier to clean with easy field stripping and re assembly once you get the hang of getting the bolt in and out. However parts are not as widely available and many parts need to be fitted by a smith or sent back to ruger for installation. Plus side is that Ruger typically has great customer service. Currently as much or more expensive than an AR with more limited aftermarket support and unique/more expensive magazines.

Su-16 has similar qualities to the mini14. I found it bit more difficult to strip and reassemble. Re installation of the bolt carrier can be a bit tricky. Not many parts can be serviced by the user. May not be as durable over the long term due to polymer construction. Compatible with AR mags.

The OP has had a, mini and AK type. Other than the an AR or keltec, there isn't much else unless you get into the scar ($$$$) or ACR (that some claim is dead) or a boutique rifle such as an xcr.

If you want something more simple or reliable that the AR/AK types or a mini14, maybe you should try a bolt action such as the 5.56 version of the ruger scout rifle...

Bansh88
03-13-2015, 7:10 AM
I would cross off any AK variant in 5.56/223. Just because of magazine availability alone

When you want simple and reliable, you want something standard.
If you have the money, buying a complete, factory built rifle would be ideal. As said above, the Colt would be great

osis32
03-13-2015, 7:19 AM
Steyr aug maybe. I think you're kinda sol from the looks of it. I love the sig 556 myself but you had one.

GM4spd
03-13-2015, 7:20 AM
I would cross off any AK variant in 5.56/223. Just because of magazine availability alone
t

OP said he had a SIG 556,the one I had took standard AR mags,had a
full length AK type piston,never worried about its reliability. Thought it
was a great option. Pete

19hugeracks57
03-13-2015, 7:31 AM
PWS MK1...I HAVE THE MK2 IN 7.62 ....CAN NOT GET BETTER IN LIFE

mattadams6552
03-13-2015, 7:33 AM
Ruger ar 556. I love mine so far. paid $589 for mine.

hairtumor
03-13-2015, 8:05 AM
I was referring to the Mini, don't know anything about Sig never had one. The SU-16 is lightweight. It weighs 5lb and uses AR mags. Pmags are like they were made for it.

the mini was sweet. Wish I held on to it. Wish I held on to alot of my guns.

hairtumor
03-13-2015, 8:08 AM
What do you mean by "easy to maintain"? Are you referring to ease of field stripping and reassembly, ease of cleaning or availability of end user installed replacement parts?

AR pattern rifles are easy to break down, reassemble and just about every part can be installed/replaced by the user and parts are widely available. Only downside is that cleaning can be more intensive due to the DI gas system. A budget 16 or 20" plain-jane setup can be had in the market place in the $550 range. AR type rifles are plenty accurate and overall the best value right now.

Mini14 tends to be easier to clean with easy field stripping and re assembly once you get the hang of getting the bolt in and out. However parts are not as widely available and many parts need to be fitted by a smith or sent back to ruger for installation. Plus side is that Ruger typically has great customer service. Currently as much or more expensive than an AR with more limited aftermarket support and unique/more expensive magazines.

Su-16 has similar qualities to the mini14. I found it bit more difficult to strip and reassemble. Re installation of the bolt carrier can be a bit tricky. Not many parts can be serviced by the user. May not be as durable over the long term due to polymer construction. Compatible with AR mags.

The OP has had a, mini and AK type. Other than the an AR or keltec, there isn't much else unless you get into the scar ($$$$) or ACR (that some claim is dead) or a boutique rifle such as an xcr.

If you want something more simple or reliable that the AR/AK types or a mini14, maybe you should try a bolt action such as the 5.56 version of the ruger scout rifle...
good info, thanks.

SOCOgunguy
03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
LWRC with an ACOG + MAGPUL PRO BUIS.

This would be the most logical option.

Standard
03-13-2015, 11:01 AM
the mini was sweet. Wish I held on to it. Wish I held on to alot of my guns.

Why not get another one? It sounds like you want a no-fuss 223 carbine. The Mini is a great option for that in CA.

TMB 1
03-13-2015, 11:46 AM

What parts, barrel, receiver?
If you want to have spare parts, Kel Tec has 6 or 7 pages of parts you can buy on their website.

So far my SU-16 has been just as durable as my Mini, but its only 6 or 7 years old. The Mini is 20+ years older.

Is polymer bad long term?

snowdog650
03-13-2015, 12:02 PM
If you are not very invested into the AR-15 platform, a good alternative would be the Beretta ARX-100. It is very simple to operate (all popular rifles are simple to operate anyway), reliable and very easy to maintain.

I don't own one myself but from the videos on Youtube, it looks like it require very minimal lubrication and the barrel can be easily detached, making it simple to clean. Most of the firearm is polymer too so you won't have to worry about corrosion much.

Considering he said "for the money" in his thread title, I hardly consider a $1700 AR-patterned rifle to be a viable option.

snowdog650
03-13-2015, 12:02 PM
As mentioned ... Colt, BCM, and also don't forget about PSA.

jdben92883
03-13-2015, 12:14 PM
If you're looking for low-maintenance, I'd place a piston-driven rifle ahead of other options. My LWRCs and POFs run clean and need 1/2 the maintenance of my DI's. Both are very reliable and accurate.

sl0re10
03-13-2015, 12:29 PM

wow; sub $600. Cool.

sl0re10
03-13-2015, 12:31 PM

When you want simple and reliable, you want something standard.
If you have the money, buying a complete, factory built rifle would be ideal. As said above, the Colt would be great

One good sale at Atlantic and your set for life. :)

tron18
03-13-2015, 1:58 PM
If you haven't bought a Saiga .223 I would suggest you buy one :thumbsup:.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-13-2015, 3:05 PM
Only one person has said the obvious choice. The S&W M&P15. BCM and all of the others are nice. BUT, in terms of value, it is impossible for them to beat the S&W models. Simply because you can go down to almost any chain sporting good store like Turner's, and pick one up for under $600. No shipping. No wait time. No calls as 6 in the freaking morning from the guys at BCM, who seem to love to call their west coast clients first thing, to tell them their order has shipped. And the thing about the S&W guns is that they have a lifetime warranty. The OP is looking for the best value, and of all the ARs out there, the M&P15 is it.

Oh, and just for the record, I do not own one. I like my Frankenbuilds. But since the prices have come down, I have found that I can't beat their prices. For somebody looking for simple, they are nearly impossible to beat.

-Mb

hairtumor
03-13-2015, 3:13 PM
thanks for all the reply's. I bit the bullet and ordered a Beretta ARX 100. If it doesn't meet my needs I can sell it like I always do eventually. :D

mattadams6552
03-13-2015, 3:52 PM

wow; sub $600. Cool.

Out the door was $656. Not sure how California taxes are, but tennesse has a 9.75% sales tax, and a $10 transfer fee.

General
03-13-2015, 5:52 PM
Because YOUR selling it, It is classified under the worst.

LOL!

DoubleA
03-13-2015, 6:27 PM
Colt 6920 or S&W M&P15. I own both- they are reliable, accurate, and good value.

keep_ur_powder_dry
03-13-2015, 6:44 PM
Colt AR......

gb

MMXX
03-13-2015, 9:10 PM
Once you sell your ARX100 go for the AUG A3 :thumbsup:

sffred
03-13-2015, 9:15 PM
Anything Noveske.

timbo399
03-13-2015, 9:49 PM
PWS MK1...I HAVE THE MK2 IN 7.62 ....CAN NOT GET BETTER IN LIFE

+1 for PWS MK1. All my ARs are DGI but the long stroke piston system PWS uses is great. I've been fighting buying one for 6 mos as I have enough ARs, but I know I will break down and get one at some point.

For a piston AR, it's lightweight, soft shooter and PWS really got it right w their AK style long stroke piston. I will be buying a PWS at some point even though another AR in 5.56 is the last thing I need right now.

Steve_In_29
03-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Keltec SU16CA. No need to worry about building the lightest AR you can when this rifle only weighs 4.7 pounds in stock form. Personally I find it to be the perfect match to the 5.56 mouse cartridge and it makes an excellent girl gun for my tiny wife.

Since with the AK gas system it doesn't crap where it eats I hardly ever have to take it apart to clean. I simply snake the bore and spray the rest down with Rem Oil. Every once in a while I use a flexible handle to get a chamber brush in there.

Guapoh
03-14-2015, 6:51 AM
LWRC M6IC and done. You'll break before the rifle will.

Click Boom
03-14-2015, 8:06 AM
If you saiga 223 wasn't accurate it's probably due to who was behind the trigger :)

^^^^this, saiga 223's are quite accurate.

It's hard to resist putting money into them, though.

OP asked best "for the money;" it's not a colt or DD, it's a PSA premium with an ALG LPK. The ALG lpk is only about an extra 20 bucks and it's a very very good general purpose trigger. It actually is quite a bit more pleasant to shoot than the ddm4v11 and more accurate too. HPT/MPI everything, NiB bcg, 416r stainless barrel, sub moa shooter with almost no recoil... what more could you really ask for? And I could have two for the price of the DD.

http://i57.tinypic.com/5pmp7t.jpg

SMarquez
03-14-2015, 8:07 AM
If you're looking for low-maintenance, I'd place a piston-driven rifle ahead of other options. My LWRCs and POFs run clean and need 1/2 the maintenance of my DI's. Both are very reliable and accurate.

How much easier does it get than cleaning the bore, and lubing the lower? I have only had my gas gun bolts apart out of curiosity. Neither were filthy, I've gone over 500 rounds on them now. I'm not going to mess with them until they start acting up just to see how far I get.

Click Boom
03-14-2015, 8:19 AM
LWRC with an ACOG + MAGPUL PRO BUIS.

This would be the most logical option.

A $3500 piston AR setup is the best for the money? Mmmmmk lol.

Oceanbob
03-14-2015, 8:59 AM

This is the best option^^^^^^^

:cool2:

drpepper
03-14-2015, 10:43 AM
I have the beretta. It's a great rifle. Only issue for me is the back up sights sit kinda high and feel flimsy so using an optic is a plus. But feels good in the hand and is a soft shooter

rockstar
03-14-2015, 11:14 AM
As others have stated, M&P15 is the best bang for the buck. If your budget allows, go for the Colt. The Colt will function the same as the S&W. However, Colts seem to keep their value a little better. Good luck on your purchase and keep us posted.

msternin
03-14-2015, 12:49 PM
The best ones that I've found are based on uppers that are inexpensive and the projectile comes out the front and do so when the trigger is pulled.

BigPimping
03-14-2015, 1:38 PM
I have had no issues with any DelTon that I own. They can be had cheap and run like a scalded cat.