PDA

View Full Version : AR Pattern .308 weights?

dust feeder
03-11-2015, 11:42 PM
What weight are you all seeing AR pattern .308 rifles come in at? Anything in the 7 lb. range?

I'm thinking about putting one together (likely an 18-20" barrel) but am not interested in a heavy beast bench gun.

I have a few dollars to spend on a new hunting rifle but am wondering If I can put something like this together and be the larger caliber SHTF/battle rifle/range toy I've alwasy wanted AND used for limited hunting (pigs and deer).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

TURNKEY13
03-11-2015, 11:58 PM
If memory serves, my LR308 DPMS Sportical 16" is just under 8# empty. Has an ACE skeleton stock and a full length carbon fiber handgard, nylon sling and KAW valley comp.

ps, and a cheapy red dot for now.

Munny$hot
03-12-2015, 8:20 AM
With all rifles it's all about balance. it'll feel more heavy with a very light stock vs a heavier stock to move the center of gravity towards the middle of the rifle. Also the weight of your optic and scope aren't as pronounced since most of the weight will be balanced close to the middle of your trigger and magazine well.

CoopsDad
03-12-2015, 9:06 AM
I take my DPMS SASS on hog hunts and it weighs a hair over 15lbs with the optics, bipod and 5-rd magazine. Yes, it's heavy but I tend to have a sit n wait approach rather than stalking a hog. If I changed my hunting technique, I'd definitely buy a lighter gun instead.

Cypriss32
03-12-2015, 9:25 AM
Depends, my light hunter scoped is under 10 pounds.
I'm hoping to get my new 16" under 8 pounds with the black hole weaponry barrel that is a very light profile. Most 308 barrels are straight tapper under the handguards. They are very heavy

Modo
03-12-2015, 9:38 AM
I built a SALTWORKS 308 with a 16 inch barrel and a Ferfrans CQB brake (heavy) that was just a hair over 8lbs.

penguin0123
03-12-2015, 10:03 AM
From mfg websites:
LWRC REPR unloaded: 9.5lb 16", 11.25lb 20"
PWS MK216: 8.625lb
SR25 ACC 16": 8.4lb
SR25 APC 16": 9.12lb
DPMS "MK12": 8.5lb
DPMS "Compact Hunter": 7.75lb
Armalite AR10A4CBF: 7.9lbs

As a comparison, SCAR butt naked is 7.9lb, FAL SA58 carbine is 8.35lb, M14 with floppy synth stock is 8.8lb, PTR91GIR is 9.75lb.

NDFMF
03-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Cason Tactical in El Dorado Hills makes a 20" .308 AR that weighs 8 lbs.

http://www.casoneng.com/cetr-308-platform/

It is NOT cheap though.

jdben92883
03-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Don't think you're going to get into a .308 at 7#.

k1dude
03-12-2015, 10:36 AM
AR 308's are pigs. There's nothing you can really do with previously existing DPMS and Armalite patterned lowers and uppers to make the rifles lighter.

Recognizing that, DPMS recently announced their new DPMS GII patterned lowers and uppers which were specifically designed to address the weight issue: http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Notice DPMS's lightest model (GII AP4) only weighs 7.25 pounds. It isn't a slickside either. The problem is it's a new incompatible standard. But I suspect it will become the new dominant standard unless someone comes out with something better in the very near future.

It will be very interesting to see how light people will be able to make these GII's in the future. I would hope some BCG manufacturers come out with new lightweight .308 carriers. Some lightweight .308 buffers from TACCOM would be great too. I suspect some truly lightweight .308 AR products will start becoming available soon.

barrage
03-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Rule number one when graduating to 30 caliber: Semi-auto 308's only come in heavy and you aren't going to find one that you're happy with until you accept that fact.

What you consider a heavy beast of a bench gun coming into this is what the rest of us call normal.

shooterzoo
03-12-2015, 2:38 PM
I built an AR308 JD Machine 18" barrel with an UBR stock and that's hitting 9.5 lbs with an empty mag and no scope. I can probably swap the stock to cut a little weight but it's balanced pretty well just as it is.

barrage
03-12-2015, 2:55 PM
I built an AR308 JD Machine 18" barrel with an UBR stock and that's hitting 9.5 lbs with an empty mag and no scope. I can probably swap the stock to cut a little weight but it's balanced pretty well just as it is.

My condolences. I wouldn't wish one of those on my worst enemy.

FMJBT
03-12-2015, 4:18 PM
On the plus side though, lugging around a 308 AR for a few range sessions will make all of your "heavy" 5.56 AR's feel much lighter :D

fmunk
03-12-2015, 6:43 PM
What weight are you all seeing AR pattern .308 rifles come in at? Anything in the 7 lb. range?

I'm thinking about putting one together (likely an 18-20" barrel) but am not interested in a heavy beast bench gun.

I have a few dollars to spend on a new hunting rifle but am wondering If I can put something like this together and be the larger caliber SHTF/battle rifle/range toy I've alwasy wanted AND used for limited hunting (pigs and deer).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Average is 9 lbs. There are some that are around 8 lbs. All depend on what parts, what barrel profile you use. With 308, weight isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can help counter recoil forces. It's only bad if you'll be hiking for miles with it and a pack full of camping gear.

Hoop
03-12-2015, 6:57 PM

No, it's hard to get hunting rifles down there nevermind a semiauto. 10lbs is more realistic for a loaded, scoped AR10 type rifle.

fmunk
03-12-2015, 6:59 PM
No, it's hard to get hunting rifles down there nevermind a semiauto. 10lbs is more realistic for a loaded, scoped AR10 type rifle.

Thinking the same also. Maybe a Rem 700 in that new Magpul hunter stock would be better. It looks pretty light.

deckhandmike
03-12-2015, 7:28 PM
With all rifles it's all about balance. it'll feel more heavy with a very light stock vs a heavier stock to move the center of gravity towards the middle of the rifle. Also the weight of your optic and scope aren't as pronounced since most of the weight will be balanced close to the middle of your trigger and magazine well.

It's all about balance to you put a sling on it and start hiking. Then it's about 11lbs with scope and ammo.

dust feeder
03-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really only got thinking of it after seeing a salt works post showing a VERY nice looking FDE .308 weighing 7.7 but it looked like it was only a 16" barrel and light stock. Obviously no optics either.

My hunting primarily consists of long hikes, back country camping, spot and stock, etc. and that's what's really driving the weight consousnes.

Might stick with the tikka t3 I'd been planning on and leave the bigger bore semi auto on the wish list for later. Never a fan of that "jack of all trades, master of none" approach.

k1dude
03-13-2015, 12:11 AM
You may want to look at an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. I think it would fit your needs nicely. It will knock down pigs and deer with ease. Want to shoot out to 1,000 yards? No problem.

I have one with a 5-20x50 on it and it's only 7 pounds. If I put a 3-9x40 on it, I'm sure it would drop to 6 pounds.

dust feeder
03-13-2015, 11:07 PM
You may want to look at an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. I think it would fit your needs nicely. It will knock down pigs and deer with ease. Want to shoot out to 1,000 yards? No problem.

I have one with a 5-20x50 on it and it's only 7 pounds. If I put a 3-9x40 on it, I'm sure it would drop to 6 pounds.

K1 - I do have a few extra lowers... Would I likely need to put that upper together myself? Any suggestions on manufacturers that sell good comeplete uppers? Also, what's the consensus on long term commercial ammo availability? I hear a lot about this round so am assuming it's here to stay...

Also, how does it handle out of a shorter 16-20" barrel an compare to 6.8 SPC for hunting purposes within 300 yards?

fmunk
03-13-2015, 11:13 PM
What about 300 BLK? I think it'd work for hogs and deers too. And you can use your 5.56 mags?

k1dude
03-14-2015, 12:46 AM
K1 - I do have a few extra lowers... Would I likely need to put that upper together myself? Any suggestions on manufacturers that sell good comeplete uppers? Also, what's the consensus on long term commercial ammo availability? I hear a lot about this round so am assuming it's here to stay...

Also, how does it handle out of a shorter 16-20" barrel an compare to 6.8 SPC for hunting purposes within 300 yards?

You can buy complete uppers or you can make your own. I assembled my own.

Alexander Arms, the inventor of the 6.5 Grendel, has a bunch of complete uppers. (http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/6_5_Grendel-Uppers.html)

Precision Firearms makes a bunch too. (http://www.precisionfirearms.com/14.html)

There's a few other makes if you look around.

Lots of barrels out there if you want to make your own upper.

Another option when you search is the Les Baer .264 LBC. It's basically a 6.5 Grendel with a different name by a different make.

As far as ammo, it's not too hard to find. But like all ammo these days, it's available one day and gone the next. Buy it when you can find it. Hornady, Alexander Arms, and Wolf make Grendel ammo right now. But expect more to appear since the 6.5 Grendel is now SAAMI. Prices aren't too bad. I spend between 60 cents and 80 cents per round. If you reload it's much cheaper. If a Republican is elected President in 2016, I suspect cost per round and availability will improve greatly.

The Grendel does great out of a 16 to 20 inch barrel. Grendel ballistics. (http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs/grendel_ballistics.pdf)

The 6.8 SPC II is also an excellent round out to 300. I prefer the Grendel though because it has longer legs should I elect to stretch them.