PDA

View Full Version : Question about featureless build

crono35
03-11-2015, 1:15 AM
Hi everyone, first post here. Looking to build an AR. I've looked over the flowchart and many of the threads here, but one thing I'm not too clear on- the flash suppressor is clearly considered an evil feature, but the red box down below goes on to explain the difference between a suppressor/ compensator/ brake.

I assume this means that the compensator or brake are both legal- however, do they need to be pinned and welded for barrel lengths greater than 16"?

My other question is regarding pinning the stock. Namely, is there some legally required way to do it? I've read about people using a roll pin, I'm just curious if that will hold up in case something does happen and the weapon gets investigated.

If anyone's curious, I'm thinking about going with the anderson lower, PSA MOE SL LBK, and 20" 1:7 CHF complete upper. I haven't decided if I want to stick with the bullet button or get the FRS 15/hammerhead stock. I'm inclined to do the featureless build since this will mostly be a mid to long(ish) range training build and the pistol grip wouldn't necessarily be a great loss. OTOH, since I won't be using it in any HD scenario, having the BB is nothing more than an inconvenience. Another factor is that I have a very narrow safe and I don't know if pistol grips will fit, but the hammerhead definitely will. Decisions...

Chaos47
03-11-2015, 3:57 AM
No you do not need to pin and weld the muzzle device for featureless rifles. Threaded barrels on rifles are legal in CA.
Yes, brakes and comps are legal as long as they are not also FS's.

No there is no legally defined method to pin a stock.

wild_weasel
03-11-2015, 4:28 AM
I decided to build up a featureless rifle as well. By assembling it with a fixed M16A1 stock and muzzle break ‘looks like standard M16A2 flash hider but with small hole on end just big enough for bullet to exit’ all I have to do is add Solar Tactical ‘Grip Sleeve’ that make the rifle featureless per the flow chart. I can then legally remove the bullet button and install original magazine release. However, 99.9% of the time I shoot without the grip sleeve and the bullet button installed using MagPul 10 round 5.56mm magazines. You may want to consider adding a good quality ambidextrous safely lever as well since the grip sleeves make setting the safety on and off difficult. The full length stock with buffer assembly, mid-length upper, and muzzle break make for a very smooth operating carbine with or without the grip sleeve by the way.

Venomouss
03-11-2015, 4:58 PM
If you have no "evil" features, you can go featureless. If your stock is folding/telescoping you need to pin it. If you have a fixed stock already like I do (ace ultra lite) you don't need to do anything. As stated above nothing wrong with a threaded barrel, just what's attached to it. If you have a 16" barrel or greater it does not need to be pinned. If it is a 14.5" barrel, your device must be permanently attached to achieve 16". Keep in mind it still has to be a muzzle brake or compensator and NOT a flash hider if you want to go featureless. I'm thinking about going featureless on my rifle, but I would still need a grip wrap and muzzle brake to qualify.

Mossy Man
03-11-2015, 5:17 PM
No you do not need to pin and weld the muzzle device for featureless rifles. Threaded barrels on rifles are legal in CA.
Yes, brakes and comps are legal as long as they are not also FS's.

No there is no legally defined method to pin a stock.

Listen to Chaos 47, click his signature links, and read.

spoof145
03-13-2015, 10:04 AM
So blocking the stock so it can't telescope down would work?

NorCalFocus
03-13-2015, 10:09 AM

Up or down yes. So if you block it at full length your good.

Another option for a inexpensive fixed stock is the Magpul fixed carbine. As long as your good with a shorter length of pull its good to go.

I posted this thread a week back and got all kinds of opinions on fixed stocks...http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1045140

Chaos47
03-13-2015, 8:11 PM

It can be pinned at any position but it can not move either up or down