PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Accesories

popjohnson
06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I want to change the stock and grip on my Saiga 7.62. Also i wanted to know if it accepted any 10/30 magazines if so from which companies. I would like a pistol grip and I would also be interested in a MMG but prefer a pistol grip. Here's a pic of what I would like:

Quiet
06-06-2008, 5:38 PM
Remember you need to comply with 922r when you switch to a different stock.

Flat Broke
06-06-2008, 6:16 PM
Time to start reading up on California and Federal gun laws using resoruces on this site. What you propose touches a couple portions of federal and state law that you should have a good understanding of prior to making any configuration changes.

Start here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818)

Then for a quick shakedown on configuring a Saiga to be 922r compliant, you might want to check out this link (http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance)

If you're going to start modding the rifle for other than it's sporting use, getting down to 10 or fewer imported parts would be a good idea. Ideally, you'd do this without including magazine parts, that way you'd always be legal, even if you were shooting 10rnd foreign mags. The configurator above can let you plug in different iterations to get to 10 foreign parts. Most folks opt for a U.S. made FCG and furniture if they're going for an AK type look.

Now, from a California standpoint you need to address the fact that if you go to a pistol grip, having a detachable magazine for a centerfire rifle equates to creating an assault weapon. To that end, you have options to get to the configuration you're looking for. You mentioned the MMG. If you go with the MMG, you need to ensure that there are no other "evil" features installed on the rifle. On a stock Saiga there shouldn't be, but always review the law and your proposed configuration before assembling anything. Since you mentioned you liked an actual pistol grip, you'd need a way to lock the magazine in place so that it can only be removed with the use of a tool. Do a search for Radlocks, maglocks, etc for AKs and you'll find a few options. One important thing to remember, is that if you had any high cap AK magazines prior to 2000 that you've been holding on to, you don't want to use those in a "fixed magazine" configuration. Again, read the posted information, and the links to the laws contained therein, and you'll see why.

Last but not least, once you've achieved legal compliance, you'll probably want to do a small mod to the rifle to allow it to utillize standard AK magazines. Be they straight 10 rounders, 10/30s that you're going to buy, or 30 rounders you owned before 2000, you need to make some changes to your rifle to use them. Simply put, you need to add a feed ramp and do some light file fitting on the mag latch to use the std AK mags. For the feed ramp, I'd just buy the kit from Dinzag Arms. He provides the required drill and tap to install his ramp, and he has good instructions on his site. Additionally, you can source some of your 922r compliance parts there if you can't find them elsewhere.

If you don't want to do any work on your rifle, you can buy Surefire's Saiga specific 10/30s that people have been reporting to work alright. My thought is though, that if you're going to spend $30 on 10 round magazine that looks like a 30, why not spend the same $$ on a couple of good ol' fashioned AK 10rounders? The surefires are a way to go, but you're rifle wouldn't be compatible with the millions of AK mags out there should you ever find yourself in some SHTF situation where you might be using mags other than the few you own. The feed ramp costs a little over $20, so I'd rather have that setup and be able to use std ak mags.

I apologize if this wasn't the type of info you were looking for, and/or you already understand our state's goof-ball gun laws. With regard to the legal aspects of things, nothing posted above should be construed as legal advice. You're your own advocate and need to do your own research. It seems like a lot of information to soak in at once, but it comes quick, and the CalGuns AW Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf) definitely helps make things a little easier to understand.

Good luck, and post up some pics when you get done making your changes.

Chris

CRUCIFIED
06-15-2008, 11:22 PM
go to dinzagarms.com
there you can read about all of the 922r requirements as well as purchase any and all parts you may need to be compliant. a bullet guide/feed ramp will allow you to use standard ak mags of any make/model.
a full conversion will make your saiga the kalashnikov it was meant to be.
the tapco g2 trigger is a great improvement to the stock FCG.
PM me for some links to useful stuff.