PDA

View Full Version : i hate bolsa gunsmithing

Ballistic043
06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
what i hate even more, is why i made the decision to go there. after all the horror stories i have heard, i thought MAYBE i would be the lucky 1 in 100. nope!

about a month ago my mossberg started exhibiting signs of problems. upon closer examination, the firing pin appeared to be jammed and not fully engaging the primers. i wasnt quite sure how to re set it, so i took it in, and was told it would take 3 weeks.

so a few days ago, i finally got my shotgun back. apparently as i had expected, the firing pin was out of position and needed to be "Re-fitted" . the cost was 56 dollars. i imagine this was mostly for labor and in-house shooting testing. no biggie

when i came home with my mossberg it looked and functioned fine. but usually when someone else works on my gun, i take it apart to see what exactly was done. so i fully disassembled the gun and when i took the bolt out, the firing pin was still jammed. i know they took my gun apart, because it was DRY (bolsa insists NEVER lubricate a shotgun, period)

it made me very angry. what if i was to use that gun in a defensive situation? it wouldnt have fired. so now i have to go back there on monday and deal with problems that were supposed to be fixed. i guess this thread is just a rant, and a reminder. never take the 'smithies word for it. always confirm and establish if the problem has been fixed BEFORE hand. if i had not done so, and i had to use this gun for defensive purposes, i would probably be the one dead.

on another story, a few months ago i went in with a friend who was having trouble with his 870 jamming too. pretty much the same problems. well the smith said maybe the gun is just dirty, to which i asked how a remington could jam after only 100 rounds and be blamed on dirt. and he said "they cant all be built like mossbergs" yeah.. right

Casual Observer
06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I've only been to Bolsa two or three times, usually to have night sights installed. I've got to say, with the exception of the long wait (it took a week to have my sights installed), my dealings with them have been fair. Not great. But not bad either.

Now Evan's is a place that I refuse to touch with a ten and a half foot pole.

duenor
06-06-2008, 11:36 AM
What do you mean by FP jam?
Can you post a picture?

Ballistic043
06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
here is a picture

http://shadow.slipgate.org/DSC04979.JPG

basically the firing pin is stuck in the fired position. it protrudes from the bolt face 1mm or so. when i remove the bolt assembly, i can push the firing pin back but only so its flush with the bolt face "in lingo". and the firing pin is supposed to suck back so the hammer can hit it from behind(which its not).

as it stands, it is inherently dangerous. as racking a new shell and closing the bolt might actually fire a round. an incident that has occurred before with mossbergs/jammed firing pins...

1064chubbs
06-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I've only been to Bolsa two or three times, usually to have night sights installed. I've got to say, with the exception of the long wait (it took a week to have my sights installed), my dealings with them have been fair. Not great. But not bad either.

Now Evan's is a place that I refuse to touch with a ten and a half foot pole.

Thats still not far enough from Evans:D

CWM4A1
06-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Guys, seriously. Unless it's a serious problem (i.e. gun jammed and freeze up), always clean your gun first before taking it to a gunsmith. If you show up with a dirty gun, there is a good chance they will tell you to clean it up and shoot again before asking for their service. It would save both you and him time and frustration, IMO.

sloguy
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
gunsmiths are like mechanics. find a good one and stick with em.

i recommend ray at 4 seasons in slo. or randall , ar15barrels here on calguns. hes in the la area.

tankerman
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I am just amazed that folks keep going to Bolsa or Evan's. Just save yourself the hassle and quit shooting.

Ballistic043
06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
what should i do? take it back and have them fix what they charged me for, or just save myself the hassle and go elsewhere and learn a 56 dollar lesson?

RedDawn
06-06-2008, 1:06 PM
what should i do? take it back and have them fix what they charged me for, or just save myself the hassle and go elsewhere and learn a 56 dollar lesson?

Education isn't cheap.
I'd consider myself lucky and walk away with just a $56 lesson.

If they didn't fix it right the first time, they will probably not correct the problem the second time around. They are obviously incompetent, or just don't care. Either way, they are not going to get my business.

Edit:
Has anyone tried "Mike's Gunsmithing" in Long Beach?

tankerman
06-06-2008, 1:09 PM
Education isn't cheap.
I'd consider myself lucky and walk away with just a $56 lesson.

If they didn't fix it right the first time, they will probably not correct the problem the second time around. They are obviously incompetent, or just don't care. Either way, they are not going to get my business.

Edit:
I'm not sure he is still taking work.

zinfull
06-06-2008, 2:13 PM
Side note, sorry

Tankerman

Like your new line. It works here but put it out in the public forums and you will help Obama.

Jerry

ar15barrels
06-06-2008, 2:33 PM
I would call it a $56 less and move on.

Have you detail stripped the bolt to see WHY the pin is hanging up?
There's got to be some root cause.
Once you find the root cause, problems like this are usually easy to correct.

Bill92869
06-06-2008, 3:29 PM
My experience with both Bolsa and Evans has been the same, arrogant asses! Unfortunately, here in SoCal we do not have much to choose from. One place in OC that impresses me is Ades. I talked to the gunsmith there and in that one encounter he impressed me as knowledgeable and friendly, something most supposed 'smiths are not. I would be willing to give him a shot at any gun smithing work I might need.

Casual Observer
06-06-2008, 5:10 PM
Edit:

YES!!!

We (JandJ) needed to have night sights put on a Kimber for a local officer quick, fast and in a great big hurry. We called Evans AND Bolsa- both gave us the same answer. For a fellow gun dealer they would do it by the end of the week since they would not take our word it was for a LEO. . We needed it done by the end of business.

So, we called Mike in LB. It was a drive from Santa Ana to Long Beach, but Mike dropped what he was doing and installed the sights in 20 minutes.

A+ for Mike's. He's a cool old guy who does it because he loves guns. He also does outsourcing work for Evans (I bet you didn't know that did you). The only problem is that he seems to have quite a back log, so it really depends on what you need done. He'll do the quick stuff on the spot but for other things....I don't know.

Tactical Support
06-06-2008, 9:44 PM
You could bring it to Ammo Bros also. I only have 30 yrs experience.