PDA

View Full Version : big 5 quality

Sabah_Alev
06-05-2008, 10:37 PM
so I've heard a nasty rumor that big 5 gets your second hand guns, ones producers don't want to put out, or something of the sort, but as a first personally owned rifle I'd like a mosen-nagant any body out there got a big 5 mosin? if so how is the quality?

WokMaster1
06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Take that nasty rumor & return it to sender.

I've gotten some really nice Mosins from them. Sure it is always a good idea to handpick your choice. For the $, you should not be expecting new guns as the ones they carry are C&R, old/50 yrs & older, used, surplus, rearsenaled, etc

As for their new long guns, they are not seconds. They might be packaged differently for a specialized market as some here have said.

jandmtv
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Take that nasty rumor & return it to sender.

+1.

RaceDay
Big 5 has some ugly guns but they also have some very nice guns. I think some of the attacks are sour grapes. The good news is that you can see what you are buying so go to the local big 5 and have them bring one out from the back for you to inspect. If it doesn't meet your approval then ask for another one or go to another store. I got a nice Yugo 24/47 a couple years ago but had to cherry pick from 4-5 stores. Some had all the bluing gone and this one looked just about brand new with a great bore.

Most big 5 guns are rated good by Century. Which means they can be pretty rough looking at the bottom end of the scale. It also happens that some decent ones get put into the pile (just like people who get awesome FG and RG Garands from CMP).

JeffM
Their new guns are new and not seconds, but they are bare-bones and no frills models.

Great finds can be had with their C&Rs if you know what to look for.

Sabah_Alev
06-05-2008, 10:59 PM
now, i was told to make sure all the serial numbers matched...there are like 4, where are the located

RedDawn
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
now, i was told to make sure all the serial numbers matched...there are like 4, where are the located

1. Receiver
2. Bolt
3. Butt plate
4. Magazine

renardsubtil
06-06-2008, 8:47 AM
You need to look at Big 5's business model...they basically buy up "last years" models on sporting goods in bulk from venders who can't move the stuff and resell it, it's not like it's used or something geez :rolleyes:

vega
06-06-2008, 9:51 AM
You need to look at Big 5's business model...they basically buy up "last years" models on sporting goods in bulk from venders who can't move the stuff and resell it, it's not like it's used or something geez :rolleyes:
Now that's another humor. :rolleyes:

Sabah_Alev
06-06-2008, 4:17 PM
thanks all, when i get it, you will be the first to see

Richieboy
06-06-2008, 6:42 PM
I have heard, and I don't remember if it was from a manager when I worked there or from somewhere else, that for the Garands (specifically) they used to sell were made from random leftover parts. So, Interstate would buy bulk of barrels and bolts and stocks, would assemble guns using the OK parts and sell them at Big5 locations. Then they'd sell the non-useable parts for scrap.

*This may or may not be true, but it's a converstation I recall having with someone...

!@#$
06-06-2008, 7:52 PM
the garands they used to sell were century recievers with surplus parts. the century recievers were out of spec so lots of problems with those guns.

Steyr_223
06-06-2008, 8:04 PM
Guns I got from Big 5 over the years..

3 Swiss K31s
French MAS 36
Mosin 1938
Mosin 91/30
Mosin 1944
Czech VZ24

Shot and am happy with all. Make sure to check the barrel and bolts for pitting.

RedDawn
06-06-2008, 8:29 PM
Good to know about the Garands.

Picked-up a Mosin M44 recently. The barrel looks totally unused. It looks like it was taken off the assembly line and placed into a storage crate and left in there for the passed 60 or so years.

Again, you have to know what you're looking for. Do your homework so you don't get a "lemon."

carabou
06-06-2008, 9:16 PM
This may be a silly question, but does Big 5 allow "Cash and Carry" on C&Rs?

vega
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
This may be a silly question, but does Big 5 allow "Cash and Carry" on C&Rs?

If you have a C&R and if the guy behind the counter knows what he's doing then yes you can cash and carry.

JeffM
06-07-2008, 1:18 AM
...and if the guy behind the counter knows what he's doing...

How often does that happen?!:D

motorhead
06-07-2008, 7:34 AM
when dealing with big 5, talk to the manager, the clerks know nothing about guns and show the same enthusiasm you find at fast food joints and video rental stores.

vega
06-07-2008, 11:05 AM
How often does that happen?!:D
Not too often I'm afraid.;)

Sabah_Alev
06-08-2008, 12:45 AM
actually i held one today, for what it looks like, it was so horribly easy to sight in on, and light, to bad the recoil knocks shoulders free of their sockets

ljdouglas
06-08-2008, 4:45 PM
If you have a C&R and if the guy behind the counter knows what he's doing then yes you can cash and carry.

Not without a COE. Your 03 FFL doesn't do much for you in California without the COE.